Locomotion & Rails of Sheffield announce SE&CR D Class

AY Mod

9 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Perhaps I’m just being blind but can someone please point out the difference between the scraped beading and the non scraped beading. 

It's where the paint has been scraped off the brass beading strip on the driving wheel splashes. Can be seen on the SECR Grey and SR Olive liveries.

My understanding was originally these liveries had the beading painted over but some crews who took pride in their engines scraped the paint off the beading and kept it polished as it was originally.

Edited by Pre Grouping fan
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Very nice!

Seems a wee bit of  height difference on the loco and Tender. Is this a pre production jobbie?

image.png.898fad695fd8e0b801be56eb55ac09df.png

image.png.b614857f63c0ffeaacef82ddbd9f6692.png

Looking at the pictures of each model on rails website there is a slight differences in height. 

Notable is 488, the Rails SECR green version you can see the in the image showing the cab interior that the body doesn't sit flat on the chassis which I would make one side appear higher or lower than the other. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Robert John Davis said:

I have a SECR green Class D w/sound on order from Rails and rake of Genesis carriages on order from Hattons. 

I am thrilled with the way the Class D model looks. The sounds are great (love the whistles) except for the exhaust "chuff." It sounds very much like white noise static rather than a defined sound. Maybe that is more an artifact of the mic used for the video and not how the locomotive sounds IRL?

According to the Rails site there is a sugar cube speaker in the locomotive and a bass reflex speaker in the tender. With that, I would expect some more definition and heft to the exhaust. 

If the video is accurate, here's hoping Rails finds a way to improve the chuff. But even better, let's hope the issue is that the video doesn't do it justice they way it is. 

Rob

I thought the exhaust started well when the loco was ‘light engine’ moving slowly but agree as soon as it opened up it sounded more like sandpapering than a loco exhaust 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Oliver Rails said:

The models are currently on the sea and expected end May / early June!

Hurray! 

What sort of DCC chip do these take, 18pin?

4 minutes ago, paulcornish said:

Can anybody tell me if these sound files are actually of a genuine D Class or taken from something similar.

Paul C. 

I don't know what the file is but it's almost definitely not a D class. 737 hasn't run for decades. Probably a generic 4-4-0 file

• RMweb Premium
On 17/05/2021 at 16:15, Georgeconna said:

Seems a wee bit of  height difference on the loco and Tender. 

I should think the model represents a tender full of water and coal, so down on its springs a bit.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I should think the model represents a tender full of water and coal, so down on its springs a bit.

Good Answer but Full load pictured on these two examples. Usually Edwardian would be having a fanny attack about these little things.

image.png.a84722c829b64ffc3e0756aa35fdc703.png

image.png.aa1b5c5b21cdf77460a306622c87253d.png

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Good Answer but Full load pictured on these two examples. Usually Edwardian would be having a fanny attack about these little things.

image.png.a84722c829b64ffc3e0756aa35fdc703.png

image.png.aa1b5c5b21cdf77460a306622c87253d.png

I hate to say it for such a beautiful loco, so diligently produced, but I agree with you, this appears to be a flaw in the model. You can see it fairly consistently in the recently released photos and videos. Not always so obvious but that might be due to track undulations. (Whereas if you look at photos of the prototype the running plates and valances of loco and tender almost always line up.)

When she's standing on a flat surface you could say that the misalignment is due to different flange depths but we can also see the same thing when she's standing on track.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/39190/Dapol-4s-027-001-oo-gauge-wainwright-d-class-secr-green-4-4-0-steam-locomotive-no-488-pre-grouping-silk-finish-

Maybe the samples have incorrectly sized tender wheels...? However, I fear it will be too late for Rails/Dapol to do anything about it now. It will be up to us to see whether it's a problem that we can live with when we actually gets the models ourselves and if not to work out solutions for ourselves.

P.S. If you want Edwardian to have a heart attack about such things you need to "@" him, like this: @Edwardian

Edited by Harlequin
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Apart from the unnecessary ribbing of James, I do think that worrying over small differences in ride height between engine and tender is misplaced. It did occur to me after posting my observation on the tender, that a working locomotive would have a boiler-full of water and be down on its springs as much as the tender, compared to the preserved locomotive which is of course empty fore and aft. But I think one needs to do a comprehensive review of photos of the engines in service, rather than relying on just a couple of photos, before one could make a statistically-convincing case that tender and engine should always sit at exactly the same height! Of course, one single photograph is enough to disprove that tidy theory.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Apart from the unnecessary ribbing of James, I do think that worrying over small differences in ride height between engine and tender is misplaced. It did occur to me after posting my observation on the tender, that a working locomotive would have a boiler-full of water and be down on its springs as much as the tender, compared to the preserved locomotive which is of course empty fore and aft. But I think one needs to do a comprehensive review of photos of the engines in service, rather than relying on just a couple of photos, before one could make a statistically-convincing case that tender and engine should always sit at exactly the same height! Of course, one single photograph is enough to disprove that tidy theory.

To be fair to Mr Conna, he has never, to my knowledge, been guilty of tact.

We are here straying into matters - the D made flesh - that stray far beyond my input, however, it was not something I was expecting to see.  As I recall CAD reviewed for the loco and tenders were generally separate, but neither the livery charts nor the first livery samples (to my recollection) showed any or any obvious discrepancy.  One might speculate whether tyres fitted to the coupled wheel have any effect.

But I think you are likely to be correct; I have seen pictures of the running plates at the same height, of the tender being higher and of the loco being higher. 

247 at Dover c.1906.JPG

470 at Orpington original condition LI23.JPG

727 at Hither Green c.1922 Coutanche.JPG

730 at Victoria, sometime after March 1911 KM.JPG

736 as built official photograph KM.JPG

740 at Orpington withdown Dover express, original condition.JPG

A75, ToD.jpg

A748 at Battersea 17 May-24 Survey.JPG

31488 at Gomshall 29-Dec 55 Survey.JPG

31728 at Brighton Bradley-RCTS.JPG

31729 near Penshurst Jun-51 LI23.JPG

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• Moderators

Will say more later as I'm out on the road but calm down, some of the pics are of samples where the bodies have been on and off. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have been contacted.

Basically, Andy Y has the right of it.  This was a sample on which the body has been repeatedly taken on and off and has not been refitted quite correctly.  In common with the earlier samples I mentioned, the latest samples all show that the tender and loco running plates are level, save for this example, incorrectly re-attached. 

A survey of the photographs shows, as I say, variations in height on the prototype, presumably, as Stephen says, due to loading, but the correct position for the RTR model is to represent the running plates as level, as the prototypes also frequently appeared, and it does.  

Thus, I am happy to say this issue is a non-issue, a complete red herring. As has been said, nothing to see here.  These are some of the other current samples again.

737.jpg

31574.jpg

1730.jpg

1734.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Edwardian said:

I have been contacted.

Basically, Andy Y has the right of it.  This was a sample on which the body has been repeatedly taken on and off and has not been refitted quite correctly.  In common with the earlier samples I mentioned, the latest samples all show that the tender and loco running plates are level, save for this example, incorrectly. 

A survey of the photographs shows, as I say, variations in height on the prototype, presumable, as Stephen says, due to loading, but the correct position for the RTR model is to represent the running plates as level, as the prototypes also frequently appeared, and it does.  

Thus, I am happy to say this issue is a non-issue, a complete red herring. As has been said, nothing to see here.  These are some of the other current samples again.

Wonderful! Thank you.

• Thanks 1