Locomotion & Rails of Sheffield announce SE&CR D Class

AY Mod

On 19/05/2021 at 11:04, Edwardian said:

I have been contacted.

Basically, Andy Y has the right of it.  This was a sample on which the body has been repeatedly taken on and off and has not been refitted quite correctly.  In common with the earlier samples I mentioned, the latest samples all show that the tender and loco running plates are level, save for this example, incorrectly re-attached. 

A survey of the photographs shows, as I say, variations in height on the prototype, presumably, as Stephen says, due to loading, but the correct position for the RTR model is to represent the running plates as level, as the prototypes also frequently appeared, and it does.  

Thus, I am happy to say this issue is a non-issue, a complete red herring. As has been said, nothing to see here.  These are some of the other current samples again.

737.jpg

31574.jpg

1730.jpg

1734.jpg

It looks SO good in Southern olive! 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
On 20/05/2021 at 15:41, Edwardian said:

For you and Jack P

4S-027-002_3481.jpeg.ecf8dba0e79a1d0c268ff25370a2fca0.jpeg

4S-027-002_3482.jpeg.0f18f1d1b88b1937ec9bd0c0c221fd4b.jpeg

The numbers on the tender are the wrong shape- much too narrow, and the 3 should be round-topped.

Edited by 4069
  • Like 1

On 23/05/2021 at 11:12, 4069 said:

The numbers on the tender are the wrong shape- much too narrow, and the 3 should be round-topped.

8 minutes ago, Eddie the dog said:

Had confirmation from Dapol today that the BR version is being supplied as photo’s with lion totem wrong way

round on RHS of tender ☹️ 

How do these errors arise? Who do they employ to check the livery samples?

...... or does the factory ignore the approved livery samples, and produce something 'close enough'?

Either error would be enough for me to cancel an order!

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Eddie the dog said:

Had confirmation from Dapol today that the BR version is being supplied as photo’s with lion totem wrong way

round on RHS of tender ☹️ 

When I phoned Rails about it last week in the wake of those extra photos being shown, rightly or wrongly I was told they were discussing it with Dapol. However, having previously been told to be grateful that my £200 should even get me a correctly assembled loco (often not guaranteed, true, but frankly irrelevant), I wasn't very inclined to mention it here again until you did.

With regards to the number style on the olive model, I hadn't spotted that, but it's a further indication that the checks on the production samples ought to have been much more stringent before the factory got the nod for production.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Rising Standards said:

When I phoned Rails about it last week in the wake of those extra photos being shown, rightly or wrongly I was told they were discussing it with Dapol. However, having previously been told to be grateful that my £200 should even get me a correctly assembled loco (often not guaranteed, true, but frankly irrelevant), I wasn't very inclined to mention it here again until you did.

With regards to the number style on the olive model, I hadn't spotted that, but it's a further indication that the checks on the production samples ought to have been much more stringent before the factory got the nod for production.

Dapol have a great deal of form when it comes to livery errors - it seems that there is a corporate attitude that, if it's 'close enough', it'll do.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

My only 'observation' is the red painted Ramsbottom safety valves. Red? Really?  That paint would last about...Oh.. Half an hour? The first release of steam will scour that paint straight off. Front rank locomotives ( such as the D, in SECR times ) would be highly likely have the brass shroud, and highly polished up. Even that wouldn't last very long, returning to the burnished look we are all familiar. 

There will be  much rejoicing in  SE 19, when these arrive. These Southern locomotives keep distracting me.

Cheers,

Ian.

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

My only 'observation' is the red painted Ramsbottom safety valves. Red? Really?  That paint would last about...Oh.. Half an hour? The first release of steam will scour that paint straight off. Front rank locomotives ( such as the D, in SECR times ) would be highly likely have the brass shroud, and highly polished up. Even that wouldn't last very long, returning to the burnished look we are all familiar. 

The red item is the spring for the Ramsbottom valves, which is a steel component - certainly not brass! This is red on No. 737 at the NRM. You are well wide of the mark suggesting there should be a brass shroud - these engines, along with all Wainwright's engines, followed Stirling's practice on the SER and Kirtley's on the LC&DR of having the Ramsbottom valves exposed.

'Burnished' means 'polished by rubbing'. I suspect the word you were looking for was 'tarnished'. Not in Wainwright's day!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

The red item is the spring for the Ramsbottom valves, which is a steel component - certainly not brass! This is red on No. 737 at the NRM. You are well wide of the mark suggesting there should be a brass shroud - these engines, along with all Wainwright's engines, followed Stirling's practice on the SER of having the Ramsbottom valves exposed.

Sorry Stephen, I'm not well wide of the mark.  The safety valve columns have an either brass or copper shroud to go on the outside of the valve. There used to be a 'tab' cast into the valve body to accept the nut & bolts to keep it on.  No, I'm not talking about the bottom nut, underneath the spring, or the top nut, either.  Some companies made a much larger shroud, to completely envelop the valve assembly. Other companies, such as the Taff, had a sleeve which slid over the valve column body. The spring is most certainly steel, but I'll contend that steam will scour off the paint in a very short timescale.  

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

Sorry

Sorry Stephen, I'm not well wide of the mark.  The safety valve columns have an either brass or copper shroud to go on the outside of the valve. There used to be a 'tab' cast into the valve body to accept the nut & bolts to keep it on.  No, I'm not talking about the bottom nut, underneath the spring, or the top nut, either.  Some companies made a much larger shroud, to completely envelop the valve assembly. Other companies, such as the Taff, had a sleeve which slid over the valve column body. The spring is most certainly steel, but I'll contend that steam will scour off the paint in a very short timescale.  

My apologies, I had supposed you to be thinking of the trumpet type of safety valve cover. You may be right as to the red paint not surviving on the spring; nevertheless that's how it is finished on the preserved engine. Since that's not going to be steamed, we won't know!

• Like 1

Aren't the actual valves the coluums fore and aft of the spring? So the steam wouldn't get that close to the spring if anything thtr bar across the top (don't know the technical name) would get the most battering from steam.

If you look at pictures of the Bluebell's SECR loco's. They have the same type of safety valves, in most photos you can still see red paint on the springs and the safety valve columns are darkened/dirty brass. 

Edited by Pre Grouping fan
Reworded
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

If you look at pictures of the Bluebell's SECR loco's. They have the same type of safety valves, in most photos you can still see red paint on the springs and the safety valve columns are darkened/dirty brass. 

For example:

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pic2/wn-pic/c_raywills_8oct07h.jpg

https://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pic2/wn-2010/178_andrews3109_1may10h.jpg

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pic2/wn-2012c/263_3arch_petere1949_28jul12h.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/14/65_SECR_O1_class.jpg/1200px-65_SECR_O1_class.jpg

In several of these photos, the lever looks red too.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

There will be  much rejoicing in  SE 19, when these arrive. These Southern locomotives keep distracting me.

Cheers,

Ian.

If it's stove enamel paint, it should resist it pretty well (400 to 800 degrees C).

• Like 2