Locomotion & Rails of Sheffield announce SE&CR D Class

AY Mod

On 24/05/2021 at 13:07, cctransuk said:

Either error would be enough for me to cancel an order!

Just as well you weren't actually a customer then.

Joking aside, I can understand how the issue is irksome.  It is irksome. However, tempting though it is to expand upon the subject, it's not appropriate for me to do so, and I can exercise discretion and self-restraint!

Fortunately, the model seems to be selling well, from what I have heard, even in the face of hypothetical cancellations.

If it were me buying 1730 I'd treat the issue like any other refinement I might make to a RTR model and just deal with it. I certainly wouldn't see it as a deal breaker or let the perfect be the enemy of the really rather good. 

Wainwright era SE&CR safety valve springs seem invariably to be painted red, at least they have been consistently represented so in preservation and in model form, as well as seen in coloured period representations.  Balance levers may show brass (e.g. as on some coloured contemporary illustrations or on 737) or be painted red (e.g. as also seen in coloured illustrations and on preserved C, O1 and H).  The valve columns are sheathed in brass, as Tomparryharry suggests, and this is depicted on the model either in brass or as blackened.  Where I am confused is by the suggestion that there is red applied to any area where it would not have been seen.  Perhaps someone has spotted another herring in that colour. 

Edited by Edwardian
vocabulary issues (time for bed)
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Joking aside, I can understand how the issue is irksome. 

I'm looking at it through the, erm, 'pragmatic lense':

SEF D Kit: £100

Wheels: £30+

Motor + gearbox: £40.00+

Extra detail bits: £35+

= £200+ (and then there's the time and effort to build the thing)

I'm not overly happy with the livery on the southern version, the letters and numbers look huge! But to refinish it, and possibly (change the number) is far less effort than any other option. The actual model looks to be stunning though, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it in the flesh. 

• Agree 7

The crest facing backwards on the tender is almost certainly a factory interpretation and indeed could be a change between the livery sample and the production sample.  

Even where minutely specified changes still occur.  Getting errors corrected is not easy- the factory isn't keen on admitting it to be their error. 

Just a thought

Les

• Agree 2

49 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Just as well you weren't actually a customer then.

Joking aside, I can understand how the issue is irksome.  It is irksome. However, tempting though it is to expand upon the subject, it's not appropriate for me to do so, and I can exercise discretion and self-restraint!

Why????

As you have said, the model itself looks really rather good - so why gloss over the fact that, once again, Dapol have b*llsed-up the liveries.

You (and I) are capable of remedying these needless errors, but many potential purchasers either cannot or will not do so, and a significant proportion will not purchase in consequence.

We SHOULD call out these sloppy errors; there are plenty of knowledgeable modellers who could point them out if consulted; but Dapol, for what ever reason, simply can't be bothered to ask.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Why????

As you have said, the model itself looks really rather good - so why gloss over the fact that, once again, Dapol have b*llsed-up the liveries.

You (and I) are capable of remedying these needless errors, but many potential purchasers either cannot or will not do so, and a significant proportion will not purchase in consequence.

We SHOULD call out these sloppy errors; there are plenty of knowledgeable modellers who could point them out if consulted; but Dapol, for what ever reason, simply can't be bothered to ask.

John Isherwood.

But a large proportion I would suggest will still buy, ignore the livery error as one of those things and buy because it is something they want and ready built

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

44 minutes ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

But a large proportion I would suggest will still buy, ignore the livery error as one of those things and buy because it is something they want and ready built

I would not dispute that - but that does not diminish the need to point out - vigorously - the needless errors.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
On 17/05/2021 at 16:28, adrianmc said:

Would it be possible to have the specifications of the fitted sound chip and speakers - i.e. chip and speaker manufacturer and model numbers along with the source of the sound files?

Hi Oliver,

Any chance of providing the above requested info?

With the D coming very soon, I realized I am going to have to source a "chip"/decoder in the US. Next 18 decoders are advertised in the US but I am concerned about the dimensions for the decoder as I would want it to fit in the Dapol decoder tray.  Also I am going to be looking for one that will support a keep alive. 

On 24/05/2021 at 14:07, cctransuk said:

Either error would be enough for me to cancel an order!

I’m rather glad that I did. For different reasons, but it’s all been rather fortuitous in hindsight. 

6 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Is it known that the blame lies at Dapol's doorstep? They are only one element in the chain.

It is stated up-thread that the errors are being discussed with Dapol.

It is a reasonable supposition, therefore, that Dapol are the commissioning agents.

John Isherwood.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/05/2021 at 19:41, autocoach said:

With the D coming very soon, I realized I am going to have to source a "chip"/decoder in the US. Next 18 decoders are advertised in the US but I am concerned about the dimensions for the decoder as I would want it to fit in the Dapol decoder tray.  Also I am going to be looking for one that will support a keep alive. 

The size of the decoders is part of the Next18 standard. Pretty much any non sound decoder will fit and the sound fitted versions are likely to be Zimo MX658N18 as that seems to be Dapol's Next18 sound decoder of choice.

Stay alive is a whole other can of worms since the Next18 standard specifies the stay alive connects to the model's PCB and not the decoder but I can almost bet Dapol won't have provided solder pads for it. Not that theres enough space in the smokebox with the decoder to fit a stay alive anyway.

• RMweb Gold
On 26/05/2021 at 10:16, cctransuk said:

I would not dispute that - but that does not diminish the need to point out - vigorously - the needless errors.

John Isherwood.

Reading your posts over the past few years often reminds me of an Architect that worked in my office back in the 1980s in the pre-internet drawing board days.

Most of his working day was spent checking drawings and “redlining” errors with an actual red pen.  Over time he noticed that his “criticising” day job was spilling over into his life outside work and that he couldn’t help criticising errors wherever and whenever he saw them.  His wife, he said, was particularly impressed with his critical ability.

I suppose that the curse of expecting perfection is to live with eternal disappointment*.

Cheers

Darius

* and express said disappointment at every opportunity 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

5 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Reading your posts over the past few years often reminds me of an Architect that worked in my office back in the 1980s in the pre-internet drawing board days.

Most of his working day was spent checking drawings and “redlining” errors with an actual red pen.  Over time he noticed that his “criticising” day job was spilling over into his life outside work and that he couldn’t help criticising errors wherever and whenever he saw them.  His wife, he said, was particularly impressed with his critical ability.

I suppose that the curse of expecting perfection is to live with eternal disappointment*.

Cheers

Darius

* and express said disappointment at every opportunity 

Errors of the type that I refer to are avoidable errors; due diligence would ensure that they did not occur.

I will not apologise for pointing out such things - in the (forlorn?) hope that it will encourage manufacturers to up their game.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 29/05/2021 at 09:41, cctransuk said:

Errors of the type that I refer to are avoidable errors; due diligence would ensure that they did not occur.

I will not apologise for pointing out such things - in the (forlorn?) hope that it will encourage manufacturers to up their game.

CJI.

I'm not sure if expressing a twinge of sympathy for manufactures is permitted within the RMweb rules (and in the case of a commission it is unclear where the blame lies between Dapol and Rails) but there is arguably a case that we as the informed buying public are also at fault. Many screen inches are taken up with people complaining about long lead times (I want it now!) and those who bemoan the lack of opportunity for constructive comment during the development process in the case of shorter lead times.

In the case of the Wainwright D, the product was announced in October 2019. The livery artwork for the Southern olive version was displayed then (link provided by Graham Muz). Just under a year later the livery samples were revealed. Much reaction followed along the lines of 'urgh! I don't like that shade of green'. So the producers changed it to the shade we see on the production version which has since been well received. Perhaps if someone had pointed out the incorrect typeface for the tender numerals at the same time, this too could have been changed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tramshed said:

Pe9rhaps if someone had pointed out the incorrect typeface for the tender numerals at the same time, this too could have been changed.

It has been stated up-thread that the livery samples had the correct typeface.

CJI.

On 28/05/2021 at 17:45, truffy said:

I’m rather glad that I did. For different reasons, but it’s all been rather fortuitous in hindsight. 

Out of interest did you lose your £30 deposit or was it returned due to the price increase?

Mike Wiltshire

On 09/09/2020 at 13:00, AY Mod said:

D Class Livery Samples Received

SE&CR No.488.jpg

SECR No. 726.jpg

SR 1730.jpg

SR No. 1734.jpg

BR No. 31731.jpg

BR No. 31574.jpg

The 3 was wrong on the snot-green sample it would seem, not that I noticed , I've only just noticed the Southern have curved 3s because someone pointed it out here :') my H is the only one I have with a 3 in the number I think, not paid it much attention before but it is indeed curved.

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, cctransuk said:

It has been stated up-thread that the livery samples had the correct typeface.

CJI.

If the livery prototypes were correct the errors in production are

a) beyond the control of Dapol or Rails in the UK.

and

b) probably not able to be corrected.

However, if your Mandarin Chinese is fluent enough to be able to present conclusive evidence in such a way that the factory manager is unable to imply that you don't know what you are talking about then I'm sure Dapol would be delighted to employ you to deal with their factories.  If not, how about suggesting someone who has that level of technical ability and linguistic skills.

Les

• Like 2
  • Agree 1