Locomotion & Rails of Sheffield announce SE&CR D Class

AY Mod

5 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

If the livery prototypes were correct the errors in production are

a) beyond the control of Dapol or Rails in the UK.

and

b) probably not able to be corrected.

However, if your Mandarin Chinese is fluent enough to be able to present conclusive evidence in such a way that the factory manager is unable to imply that you don't know what you are talking about then I'm sure Dapol would be delighted to employ you to deal with their factories.  If not, how about suggesting someone who has that level of technical ability and linguistic skills.

Les

I am not suggesting that the errors are directly of Dapol's making - but I do suggest that Dapol has a track record of bringing models with defective liveries to market.

If their factory feels that it can produce 'near enough' liveries on a regular basis and get away with it, is it not time that Dapol got a new factory?

CJI.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I am not suggesting that the errors are directly of Dapol's making - but I do suggest that Dapol has a track record of bringing models with defective liveries to market.

If their factory feels that it can produce 'near enough' liveries on a regular basis and get away with it, is it not time that Dapol got a new factory?

CJI.

As Hornby amongst others have found when you find a new factory you find a whole new set of problems- do Dapol trade livery errors for the QC problems of the Hornby Thompson Pacifics or some of the self-disintegrating Heljans I have known, for example?

Les

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I fear we are in danger of making a fuss and getting a valid point out of proportion. As I know, having been both sides of the fence, it's incredibly easy to do down products for mistakes, whether real or imagined, and to make sweeping and unflattering statements about factories or manufacturers.  Particularly irksome for manufacturers, I suspect, is when a storm is only raised after it becomes too late to do anything about an issue. All I am prepared to say is that the correct font was known intended but that, despite taking infinite pains, something will always slip through on projects of so much complexity and so many moving parts.  I must respectfully decline the invitation to say more than that.  In the face of the vicissitudes of RTR manufacturing, which are many and challenging, one can choose to be condemnatory or to be forgiving, depending upon one's disposition.  For anyone who wants to change the top of the '3' in question, I'm sure someone here could recommend a good transfer producer. 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

4 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

For anyone who wants to change the top of the '3' in question, I'm sure someone here could recommend a good transfer producer. 

On the off-chance that I am referred to - I'm afraid that I do not cover the pre-Nationalisation period.

CJI.

5 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

On the off-chance that I am referred to - I'm afraid that I do not cover the pre-Nationalisation period.

CJI.

That would explain your sudden intense interest in a Grouping era loco! ;)

By the way, I hope you will forgive a slightly raised eyebrow at noting a business called "Cambridge Custom Transfers" (emphasis added).  You see, I had thought the name implied "custom, adjective, made or done to order; custom-made", yet the section of its website entitled "Custom Service" states  that it "cannot offer any form of bespoke or one-off transfer service"!  

I'm afraid I don't cover the post-Nationalisation period, so tend not to comment on it.

5 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

By the way, I hope you will forgive a slightly raised eyebrow at noting a business called "Cambridge Custom Transfers" (emphasis added).  You see, I had thought the name implied "custom, adjective, made or done to order; custom-made", yet the section of its website entitled "Custom Service" states  that it "cannot offer any form of bespoke or one-off transfer service"! 

I have previously posted here the background to the name 'Cambridge Custom Transfers' but, since you appeared to have missed this, I will do so again.

In 1999, I discovered that it was possible to print one-off transfers using Alps printer technology; so I bought an Alps printer.

Perhaps unwisely, I extolled the virtues of this printer in a letter to the editor of the MRJ. At the self-same time that the letter was published, Alps stopped selling the printer in the UK! I was thus inundated with requests for one-off  transfers - so I decided to set up CCT.

It rapidly became evident that I was also expected to research the requested transfers - something quite impossible when I had a full-time career in local government. Hence the demise of a short-lived bespoke transfer service.

Nonetheless, I decided to offer the transfers that I produced for my own use to other modellers - something that I still do in my retirement.

The 'Custom' adjective is still relevant - my transfers are custom-designed for specific vehicles; not 'generic' sheets.

There are other bespoke transfer producers who make a full-time career of it, and I refer enquiries for bespoke work to them.

I make no apology for my current business model - I do what is manageable at my age, and no more!

John Isherwood.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I have previously posted here the background to the name 'Cambridge Custom Transfers' but, since you appeared to have missed this, I will do so again.

In 1999, I discovered that it was possible to print one-off transfers using Alps printer technology; so I bought an Alps printer.

Perhaps unwisely, I extolled the virtues of this printer in a letter to the editor of the MRJ. At the self-same time that the letter was published, Alps stopped selling the printer in the UK! I was thus inundated with requests for one-off  transfers - so I decided to set up CCT.

It rapidly became evident that I was also expected to research the requested transfers - something quite impossible when I had a full-time career in local government. Hence the demise of a short-lived bespoke transfer service.

Nonetheless, I decided to offer the transfers that I produced for my own use to other modellers - something that I still do in my retirement.

The 'Custom' adjective is still relevant - my transfers are custom-designed for specific vehicles; not 'generic' sheets.

There are other bespoke transfer producers who make a full-time career of it, and I refer enquiries for bespoke work to them.

I make no apology for my current business model - I do what is manageable at my age, and no more!

John Isherwood.

So, in summary, best try Fox or Railtec then…

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 1

As I see it the problem is not getting replacement numbering it’s removing the wrong number or numbers without marking the paint finish on  £199 loco. There’s no way you can touch up the paint finish without it showing and the replacement number is not going to fully cover it.

That’s why I cancelled my order.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AJ'S said:

That’s why I cancelled my order.

Your money, your choice. But I fear you will wait a long time for another SECR D of equal quality, with no certainty that it, too, won't have an unintended imperfection somewhere. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 14
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Arichard said:

Is that a drive tyre I spy fitted on the 1st driving wheel?

Presumably by “drive tyre” you mean “traction tyre”?

If you do, I think it’s a shadow against the flange of the driving wheel rather than a traction tyre.

Strange choice of first post for you on RMWeb.

Darius

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• Moderators

It is my understanding that the D Class locomotive comes fitted with traction tyres to a set of driving wheels. For those who do not want traction tyres then the box includes an alternative set of wheels and a tool to enable their replacement.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 12

4 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

inside every 00 product there's an EM one trying to get out ..........

WC

No, It's a product with an incorrectly scaled superstructure/body casting pleading to be reduced to HO/3.5 mm scale to go with it's natural track gauge.

This is the first I have heard of the traction tires (my spell check only wants to use 'tires.' Tiring isn't it.) Is the boiler and firebox no longer a metal casting?

14 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It is my understanding that the D Class locomotive comes fitted with traction tyres to a set of driving wheels. For those who do not want traction tyres then the box includes an alternative set of wheels and a tool to enable their replacement.

That is a classic case of a first sentence causing me to panic and a second sentence calming me down again; rather like “good news, bad news” in reverse. :laugh:

54 minutes ago, truffy said:

The presence of traction tyres evidently rules that out. 

No, it's the original wheels that - we're NOW told - have traction tires tyres .... the replacement set  without tires tyres could have been set to EM  gauge by a forward thinking manufacturer - but, apparently, they're not. At least those of us working in closer-to-scale gauges can ascertain the necessary axle diameter for Gibsons ( or whatever ) without the necessity of pulling the loco apart for once !

Incidentally, if - as hinted above - a replacement 3.5mm scale body was included instead, I think there could be a slight problem with wheel diameter:D