Locomotion & Rails of Sheffield announce SE&CR D Class

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

No, it's the original wheels that - we're NOW told - have traction tires tyres .... the replacement set  without tires tyres could have been set to EM  gauge by a forward thinking manufacturer - but, apparently, they're not.

Well, perhaps it should become standard for RTR models to come with alternative wheelsets for EM, P4, and the variant 00 standards, the cost being borne equally by all purchasers, as one mustn't discriminate against the differently-gauged.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Funny 8

9 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Well, perhaps it should become standard for RTR models to come with alternative wheelsets for EM, P4, and the variant 00 standards, the cost being borne equally by all purchasers, as one mustn't discriminate against the differently-gauged.

Oh gawd!

Just imagine - the moaning about having to pay for items that won’t be used, it’d be worse than paying for a DCC decoder that’s not used!

”the differently-gauged”  - what a great expression, I love it.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

And then someone will fit a mix and there will be a long discussion on RMWeb about derailing !

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

On 28/05/2021 at 13:53, Pre Grouping fan said:

Think today's post by rails is just saying they've cleared customs and are being delivered to them next week. 

Anybody heard anything about them being distributed yet, seems very quiet.

All the best

Ray

• Moderators
1 minute ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

The excitement starts!  And no doubt many posts to come !

12 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Things are happening! Payments being taken and the despatches are about to begin:

https://railsofsheffield.com/news/articles/3885-wainwright-d-class

Yes, stocks are starting to arrive, by livery, with the stockists so some liveries will be shipped out first, particularly on pre-orders. I understand the first ones to be shipped will be SE&CR green (Locomotion and Rails/Dapol versions) followed by other liveries after they've been processed. Don't ask me when specific liveries are likely to follow as I don't have that information.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

My model of 737 has just arrived and has made for a very happy Andy...

It even has the historically prototypically incorrect but correct for the museum painted loco boiler band under the safety valves - we always meant to correct that when I was at the museum but we never found time to do so....

Nice one Rails!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

488 has arrived this morning ex-Rails, 737 is on its way and due for delivery today from Locomotion. To settle all debate, having physically had one in my hand, the loco comes fitted with traction tyres on the leading set of drivers; there is a replacement set in the box without tyres.

Now to get round to trying it out. Seems quite light, but I've thought that before and haulage power is still satisfactory.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

My model of 737 has just arrived and has made for a very happy Andy...

It even has the historically prototypically incorrect but correct for the museum painted loco boiler band under the safety valves - we always meant to correct that when I was at the museum but we never found time to do so....

Nice one Rails!

It was still on the NRM's to-do list when the product was being researched, but as it is by no means certain when or even if that might happen, I think the decision to model the locomotive as it currently is (and has been since first preserved) was the right one. 

You realise you can't run it, right? ;)

7 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

It was still on the NRM's to-do list when the product was being researched, but as it is by no means certain when or even if that might happen, I think the decision to model the locomotive as it currently is (and has been since first preserved) was the right one. 

You realise you can't run it, right? ;)

I am disappointed the tender tank innards do not have wood grain like the real 737 ;-)

It was never an "official" to do - but in my time there I did get agreement to put it right subject to time and other projects. I think it was about two years between that agreement and me leaving and we never found time!

Oh it will run under Rule 1. I loved 737 to much to not have a model I have even cabbed it in motion :-)

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

I am disappointed the tender tank innards do not have wood grain like the real 737 ;-)

It was never an "official" to do - but in my time there I did get agreement to put it right subject to time and other projects. I think it was about two years between that agreement and me leaving and we never found time!

Oh it will run under Rule 1. I loved 737 to much to not have a model I have even cabbed it in motion :-)

I was told some years ago that when they were restoring the loco to SE & CR condition for exhibition, they could not find a correct pattern chimney, so had one manufactured in wood ! Also that they restored the lubricators at the front of the loco, as original condition, but left the later ones inside the cab. So it has double lubricators !

Now a question. It has been confirmed that there are traction tyres on the front drivers. They don't last forever, will these be available as spares ?

Just waiting for my two to come.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1

• RMweb Gold

Happiness is not very Bob shaped at the moment.  According to the tracking (special delivery£8.50) my 488 was despatched from Sheffield MC at 21.05 last night and arrived at Croydon MC at 04.46 today. At 04.55 it was despatched to Sutton DO but somehow arrived at Liverpool South DO (238 miles away) at 06.31.  They have advised they hope to deliver by 13.00 today. Hmm - not holding my breath.  Currently waiting for a call from a friend who is a manager at Sutton DO to see if she can help. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

6 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

I was told some years ago that when they were restoring the loco to SE & CR condition for exhibition, they could not find a correct pattern chimney, so had one manufactured in wood ! Also that they restored the lubricators at the front of the loco, as original condition, but left the later ones inside the cab. So it has double lubricators !

Now a question. It has been confirmed that there are traction tyres on the front drivers. They don't last forever, will these be available as spares ?

Just waiting for my two to come.

All the best

Ray

Hi Ray,

there are two spare traction tyres in the box and the "Owner's Manual" lists a comprehensive parts list to boot.

Enjoy,

Nick