Locomotion & Rails of Sheffield announce SE&CR D Class

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!

The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men Bob

Gang aft agley,

An’ lea’e us nought but grief an’ pain,

For promis’d joy!

After setting off for The Shed yesterday afternoon I was hauled back because of unexpected visitors.  Had a pleasant afternoon but not the one I expected.  Never mind says I, tomorrow will do so off to The Shed I trotted this morning.

488 was unpacked and fully inspected and all the attached bits stayed attached and she is absolutely lovely.  Great!  Switched layout to DC mode, removed various other locos and put 488 on track and connected tender.  Brilliant, so easy!.  Turned on power and ran her around for several minutes in both directions and she performed faultlessly.  Super, smashing, great! Time to fit the decoder.  Tried...and tried... and tried to remove smokebox  door but it wasn't having it.  Had a break and tried again, several times. Nope!  Phoned the ever so helpful Craig at Rails who talked me through it after trying on one up there.  Still no joy.  I think they've welded it shut.  :banghead:

It's now on its way back to Sheffield for them to fit the chip for me.  Wish I'd asked them to do that in the first place instead of trying to save a few quid.

C'est la vie, I'll get there in the end.   Possibly.:scratchhead:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

It's now on its way back to Sheffield for them to fit the chip for me.  Wish I'd asked them to do that in the first place instead of trying to save a few quid.

C'est la vie, I'll get there in the end.

I know it's not necessarily the recommended path Bob but seeing as I've now been in and out of two examples it might be worth considering doing it the other way round.

• Turn the loco upside down and protect the whistle - why do I know this is advisable?
  • Follow the instructions for body removal - apart from undoing the other screw from beneath the footplate from that shown on the leaflet - you should end up with a long screw coming out. The forward screw is accessible through the hole in the bogie.
  • Drop the chassis out from the body, it will first look as though the wires will be holding it in. Use some tweezers or long-nosed pliers to ease the paxolin board (and then the circuit board) attached to the wires out from the smokebox and then put the body to one side.
  • Whilst you're there see if you can push the smokebox door out from the inside - the heat could have made it a tight fit.
  • If you're not going to use sound remove the sugarcube speaker casing from beneath the board (it will make access easier at future points). Plug in decoder.
  • Reverse the steps and feed the board back into the smokebox first and try to keep it level and it should all go back in OK. Ease the chassis and motor back into the body. Ensure it is seated without any gap at the front and beneath the footplate.
  • Replace screws, magnetising a bit to feed the front screw through the bogie will help.

It's not as bad as it sounds and it may get you up and running.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy but it's already on its way back.   Perhaps I should have been a bit more patient and waited for the help that is always available here!  :yes:  Mind you with my fat fingered general ham fistedness it's probably just as well I've done that.  I was thinking of changing the wheels from the traction tyred variety but have chickened out of that as well for now. 

Lily livered of Sutton.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

I See the Height Difference between the Tender and the loco Running plates is still apparent. Looks lovely though, it really does!

image.png.a952a9d7f036edf49955dd58bf0d4821.png

I would expect the real thing to exhibit exactly the same height difference with a full load of coal and water - that is what springs are for!

CJI.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know the specified diameter of the prototype's tender wheels?

I don't have the right books and although I've googled I can't find that info yet.

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

According to Sharman - 4 foot 12 spokes.

Same as Ns, Us, etc.

Jason

Thanks.

So should be 16mm on the model and I do measure them as 16mm +/- a bit. (They are of course, more coned than the prototype so it depends where on the tread you measure.)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, bill_schmidt1 said:

As Nice as they look, they all seem to have wonky numbers...

On the production versions of the SE&CR liveried ones or the earlier liver samples shown?

7 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

On the production versions of the SE&CR liveried ones or the earlier liver samples shown?

On all the ones pictured in the last couple of pages. The cabside numbers all appear to be drooping to the left on each side. 
Can't just be the angle/camera lens that everyone has taken picture.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, bill_schmidt1 said:

On all the ones pictured in the last couple of pages. The cabside numbers all appear to be drooping to the left on each side. 
Can't just be the angle/camera lens that everyone has taken picture.

I noticed that on one of the photos someone posted of their 488 

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

According to Sharman - 4 foot 12 spokes.

Same as Ns, Us, etc.

WRONG, Mr. Sharman ! ................ they should be TEN spoked - same as the C, E, L, L1 & Q classes, - and the N's N1s, Us, U1s  & N15s with 3500 gallon tenders. ( The Southern4000 gallon tenders DID have 12-spoke wheels - or disc ones.)

• RMweb Gold
On 16/06/2021 at 15:49, GreenGiraffe22 said:

I noticed that on one of the photos someone posted of their 488 

Yes, "488" is definitely wonky on my version but of course this is an extremely cruel close-up that you wouldn't normally see when the model is on your layout:

IMG_20210615_183954r.jpg

Edited by Harlequin

18 hours ago, PeterH said:

I had No.737 running at the club test track tonight, stunning looking loco! Actually quite grateful for the traction tyres as it would have struggled around the tight inclined bend otherwise. 

3C46BAA7-4D0D-4932-AF53-D596BA84D170.jpeg

BD21057A-5021-4378-BE53-232E2ED50C6D.jpeg

Looks to be a good runner, with 6 coaches on the flat. Have you had a chance to challenge it on a grade? Oh, I just noted your comment about the traction tyres. Does the loco come with another set of drivers without the traction tyres?

Edited by Cofga

could be

5 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I would expect the real thing to exhibit exactly the same height difference with a full load of coal and water - that is what springs are for!

CJI.

True, Not gonna take away the goodness of this model by going on about it but this is pretty well loaded and a Bit more! Front and Back Parts Line up nicely!

image.png.71e3e1d451dbd840c197e2200b1624d6.png

1 hour ago, Cofga said:

Looks to be a good runner, with 6 coaches on the flat. Have you had a chance to challenge it on a grade? Oh, I just noted your comment about the traction tyres. Does the loco come with another set of drivers without the traction tyres?

Hi Cofga, I've just done a haulage test with no: 488 and can confirm it can pull 9 SE&CR Bachmann birdcage coaches from the bottom of a 2% gradient start, followed by Hornby 2nd radius curves.

There is some wheel slippage, but once it has momenton its fine and I've replaced the traction tyre set with the metal wheel set.

I've also fitted no: 19 kadees

Overall I'm very pleased with the model only arriving yesterday and just can't believe how good it is.

16238665287162116778194.jpg

Edited by Steam here!
Spelling Error
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Not everyone will worry about the misaligned running plates (and steps and hand rails) between loco and tender but it niggles me so I've looked into it some more. (Why does it niggle me? The loco was designed to have the running plates aligned. Look at any drawing of the class, including the one on the box...)

I measure the misalignment as ~1.25mm, that is 3¾ inches in the real world. That may not sound much but it’s about half the depth of the valences - the top of one valence is pointing at the middle of the other.

I dismantled the tender to investigate the problem further and this was enlightening. The whole tender body, including running plate, valence and steps is one unit and the valences overhang the chassis (unlike the typical Hornby tender). So if you can insert some spacers between the tender body and chassis you can get all of those important visual elements to line up with the loco, and crucially, do that without affecting the couplings and without opening up any obvious visible gaps!

Here's a quick bodge up with some 1.2mm rod inserted temporarily to create the spacing and the tender body just resting on top, not properly fixed:

IMG_20210616_231232r.jpg.4f083f84f4c2a0c8752177305f2084bf.jpg

Much better to my eye!

Some things to note about this:

1. The supplied fixing screws will have a very tenuous hold on their collars so they will have to be very carefully tightened. Probably worth sourcing some longer screws.

2. More of the tender chassis will be visible, obviously. Whether this is more or less "prototypically correct" than the model as supplied is hard to say. The bottom of the steps now seem to line up with the bottom of the frames - which is what the drawing shows on the box...

3. The fall plate(s) may have to be adjusted but the one attached to the tender is metal so it should bend to a new position.

4. There's 1mm more space for a bigger speaker! :wink_mini:

I need to play around a bit more and then maybe make more permanent spacers, but it looks promising.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

but it niggles me so I've looked into it some more

It won't do you know, Phil, and you've been here long enough to know that.  The proper response is to throw your toys out of the pram and shout 'waah'.

But seriously, nice tweak.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Reading through the last few pages of threads, it strikes me that there is an almost puritanical desperation in some folks to be disappointed in the efforts of retailers and manufacturers that produce ever more superb models.

It reminds me of an episode of Frasier where Daphne asks Niles and Frasier how they liked a concert, to be told the performance was magnificent but with one tiny flaw that they will pick apart for the rest of the evening.  “Oh good”, she says, “just the way you like it”.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 3
  • Agree 12
  • Funny 4

A short running session featuring the eagerly anticipated Locomotion / Rails of Sheffield South East & Chatham Railway Wainwright D Class 4-4-0 edited with real sound. 
Sounds are provided by a number of similar locomotives from my sound collection, captured at various Gala and Preserved Railways over the past few years.
Here we see preserved SE&CR D Class 4-4-0, No.737 hauling a short local passenger train, consisting of matching SE&CR Birdcage stock.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 10