Locomotion & Rails of Sheffield announce SE&CR D Class

AY Mod

6 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Hmm..... so you are comparing the D with a loco which has far less lining and which is available for a huge number of retailers (I.e. not a retailers exclusive) 

With that sort of outlook I can see why you like Sam’s trains - he loves to rubbish models as having a poor design while ignoring the fact that in more than a few cases said design is over a decade old and things we take for granted now we’re not thought necessary.

If doing comparisons you need to compare like with like - A Bachman City class would be a closer match when all is said and done.

Its a mater of fact that the more lining there is, the more time it takes to decorate the loco and the grater the chance of mistakes happening writing off the body shell.

As such it’s entirely reasonable to expect the D to retail at a significantly higher prices than the Dapol mogal.

Or maybe a similar sized model by the same commissioner selling at the same price would be a better comparison?

image.png.94d5511c239ab3de7ca4631177aa1299.png

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/35628/Bachmann-35-284z-oo-gauge-caledonian-railway-blue-mcintosh-812-class-0-6-0-steam-locomotive-no-828-as-preserved-

I think we can safely say one is a bit poor and it's not the one I linked to.

Why people are defending poorly decorated models is baffling. Hornby and Bachmann have been making models with good crests and intricate printing for decades.

Dapol need to up their game on the decoration front if they want people to take them seriously. On a £200 model it's just not good enough. Not a complaint about the price, the price is about right.

It's also not correct to say they would cost £400 to be correct. How come Bachmann can do printing on the 1P and NER/preserved J72 which are sub £150 models?

This is what you should be comparing them with. 

image.png.fa8b5026dee59bb05befbea07285c7f6.png

For clarity my comments are purely about decoration, not about accuracy or performance.

Jason

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

17 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Sorry - but it is the dome that shouts 'toy'; Tri-ang did this with their GWR Single in the 1960s and it looked rubbish even then!

Sam who? Oh, the kid who runs trains on the carpet!

CJI.

I was just waiting for that one and didn’t have to wait long!

Edited by Cofga
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Sorry - but it is the dome that shouts 'toy'; Tri-ang did this with their GWR Single in the 1960s and it looked rubbish even then!

Sam who? Oh, the kid who runs trains on the carpet!

CJI.

Use some weathering powder on the dome…

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well my NRM one finally arrived, delivered to the neighbours..

First  impressions not good. Missing a coupling hook, side step broken in half and tender buffer loose in package. 

Running is inconsistent. The wheel back to backs appear too narrow as the loco jams on some of my peco points. And as it has traction tyres any slight power interruption stops the loco dead instead of sliding. I will try the other wheel set, but the running at the moment leaves a lot to be desired.

Roger

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Or maybe a similar sized model by the same commissioner selling at the same price would be a better comparison?

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/35628/Bachmann-35-284z-oo-gauge-caledonian-railway-blue-mcintosh-812-class-0-6-0-steam-locomotive-no-828-as-preserved-

I think we can safely say one is a bit poor and it's not the one I linked to.

Why people are defending poorly decorated models is baffling. Hornby and Bachmann have been making models with good crests and intricate printing for decades.

Dapol need to up their game on the decoration front if they want people to take them seriously. On a £200 model it's just not good enough. Not a complaint about the price, the price is about right.

It's also not correct to say they would cost £400 to be correct. How come Bachmann can do printing on the 1P and NER/preserved J72 which are sub £150 models?

This is what you should be comparing them with. 

For clarity my comments are purely about decoration, not about accuracy or performance.

Your comments may indeed be about decoration. but the price of the loco is affected by all sorts of other aspects. I assume that a tender loco has about 30% more costs in research and manufacture than a tank loco. The tender also has complexity in wiring and so on, as well as the connections to the loco. The pretty Caley blue loco has a much simpler lining than the D, it appears, which makes it look more expensive, actually, as the chassis will be simpler and thus cheaper. Not convinced.

• Like 5

My full Wainwright arrived this morning. Had a quick scan, looks very nice, but one tender buffer adrift in the box. That seems to be par for the course. I wonder if there is a tight spot in the packaging ?

Have to go out now, but will take it down the club tonight and hopefully give a test run. I do not have a layout at home to test it on.

Not sure when the SE & CR Battleship Grey one will come.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Tiddles47 said:

Has anyone tried to attach the accessories to the front? It’s says where to put them in the instruction booklet but on the loco there isn’t any slots to place them. 

Notice that the manual says the parts are "supplied with all models" but for fitting to "vacuum fitted models" - so not all models, not the early versions of the loco.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

My full Wainwright arrived this morning. Had a quick scan, looks very nice, but one tender buffer adrift in the box. That seems to be par for the course. I wonder if there is a tight spot in the packaging ?

Have to go out now, but will take it down the club tonight and hopefully give a test run. I do not have a layout at home to test it on.

Not sure when the SE & CR Battleship Grey one will come.

All the best

Ray

Just now, Barry Ten said:

Yep, tender buffer loose with mine as well.

Same with the 63XX Mogul before it. It seems to be Dapol's new standard fitting that buffers are push-fit items, not glued in, so it's not great worry that they are loose on arrival. Just push them back in and secure with a bit of glue if you like.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Notice that the manual says the parts are "supplied with all models" but for fitting to "vacuum fitted models" - so not all models, not the early versions of the loco.

Yeah I noticed that 737 only has the guard irons, not other detail on the front.  So straight forward really

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another one here which arrived with a detached tender buffer rattling around in the packaging - nothing a small dab of glue couldn't fix whilst fitting the guard irons and cab doors (and working out that the extra vac pipes and fittings weren't appropriate for 488...)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Ive just had payment auto taken for one of them, looks like I don't get much choice in waiting to save on postage, ah well, at least one is on its way =)

Try contacting Rails directly - I'm sure they will help you with that,

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jburgt said:

Well, let’s show my loco. I showed it earlier on the BRM facebook page. Here is my little Dapol D Class as a visitor on Parkend North, a commission project of my British friend Dan Evason.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Gr, Hans

perfect! you only need Smell of the engine and sound of the Swallows to make it!

• Like 4

On 22/06/2021 at 11:15, Harlequin said:

Without my 'Sunshine' model in front of me - nor much sunshine outside for that matter - I don't know what Rails mean by that gibberish !  Every 'D' class was vacuum fitted from day one, with a conspicuous upstand pipe on the buffer beam ....... they MIGHT be referring to a front end steam pipe which only appeared later in life - but that's a different matter.

Now I've got mine, I can confirm it's the STEAM HEAT pipes they're talking about. ................. Oh, Dubs & Co might have had a German name but they were founded in Glasgow in 1863.

Edited by Wickham Green too
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JohnR said:

GreenGiraffe22 said:

Ive just had payment auto taken for one of them, looks like I don't get much choice in waiting to save on postage, ah well, at least one is on its way =)

Try contacting Rails directly - I'm sure they will help you with that,

I did that, they said they couldn't hold one to wait for another, so I would have to pay postage for each one separately.

Edited by PrestburyJack
Includes original quote
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

An interesting post on Tony Wrights thread from Ian Rathbone. I thought it might give further perspective to the debate around 'value for money', and the livery application.

16 minutes ago, Ian Rathbone said:

Hello Tony & Co.

Before RTR the SECR was never popular, simply on the grounds of cost of painting the model. Were I to do this 4mm Class H (built by Steve Duckworth) today the cost would be £400+ and I would be very picky about the quality of the build. 

F2F78107-DD97-4BF7-94A8-E53CE7398A01.jpeg.7ae1dc8f9288e3a8d7241d0760dc9a7c.jpeg

It seems to me that the 4mm RTR locos are good value considering the number of operations required to apply the livery provided, of course, they are mechanically sound. 

This Class D, built by Graham Varley in 7mm, would cost somewhat North of £800 to paint. Then add to that the cost of a very accurate build. There are 5 colours on each tender axle box, some very fancy lining on the tender front and every wheel spoke is lined.

B92A0501-0D95-46F4-987C-679E374EA63F.jpeg.47d0388098129a877fd37316664273cf.jpeg

In terms of colour we are very much in the hands of the paint manufacturers and their interpretation. I used to use Precision BR Green but now use Landrover ‘Deep Bronze Green’ since moving to cellulose paints. I now feel that the PP colour is too blue.

Ian R

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 2