Locomotion & Rails of Sheffield announce SE&CR D Class

AY Mod

10 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

I find it curious that the same commissioner and manufacturer have managed to produce two SR locos in completely different shades of green, I know prototypes were allegedly slightly different but the Rails Terrier and D Class are two very different colours.

There were Eastleigh and Ashford (and probably a Brighton one as well) shades of Olive green with Ashford being lighter.

Could well be Rails modelled their SR terrier in the darker Eastleigh shade. 

• RMweb Gold

Please be wary of colours that you see on the screen. There are so many factors that can make them look different than how they appear to the naked eye.

The best way to judge is to see a loco in the flesh in good lighting conditions, if you can.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 5

7 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Cab and tender detail is pretty awesome to be fair! I've put it in direct sunlight to catch the detail which has made the interior a rather intense bright mustard. When loco and tender are assembled there's rather more shadow cast over it.

IMG_20210624_101044_edit_1682959825533304.jpg.087141cd6975c81fb4412733fe8bcd6c.jpg

OK, the cab detail makes it look like a £200 model. Since I am awaiting my Southern version I am a little disappointed to see these questions about the lining but who else here in the US will notice, much less know! Gotta get my Dumbo speaker and decoder ordered for this one. 

Edited by Cofga
  • Agree 2

On 21/06/2021 at 16:27, Barry Ten said:

Here's my SE&CR one, which arrived today.

It does have the decoration issues that others have highlighted, including the non-horizontal numbers, but whether

I'd have spotted them without seeing others' comments, I'm not so sure. I think I'd have been distracted by how

gorgeous it looks as a whole.

Accentuating the positive, it runs superbly, seems powerful enough with the traction tyre option, and I reckon it'll

look even better with the guard irons fitted. Being so light, I wouldn't rate its chances without the tyres but they're

not a particular bugbear of mine and I think Dapol did the smart thing in fitting the tyred wheelset as default, while

supplying the other one for those that want it.

wainwright.jpg.9126145e5a20b6d61b82ca559c443465.jpg

Al—Looks good but you’d better hurry and order a Southern version to go with all those Maunsell coaches you have stashed away! 

Edited by Cofga
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I am in the process of "improving" my 488 and I don't want to clog up this thread with the details so if you're interested I started a new thread here:

(Don't look if you are of a nervous disposition - I am about to apply the Dremel to it!)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Finally got to test it today, not too bad but it don't half stop violently when it hits a loose connection! Have also managed to lose a buffer while it's been running and said buffer seems to have vanished into another dimension... I wonder if Rails have any spare parts...? 

Also been comparing it against other interpretations of Southern livery

Here are both Rails / Dapol's Southern liveries (was the difference in shade really ever that dramatic between railway paint shops?)

IMG_20210627_124237.jpg.334c3e890d41d2cdc0de8fd632390da2.jpg

Hornby's H

IMG_20210627_124747.jpg.bd3afc1b27e3b5130acbc7fab20976a4.jpg

Bachmann's E4

IMG_20210627_125201.jpg.f2ec5224c3e31c721acfcd67690c6069.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

27 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Finally got to test it today, not too bad but it don't half stop violently when it hits a loose connection! Have also managed to lose a buffer while it's been running and said buffer seems to have vanished into another dimension... I wonder if Rails have any spare parts...? 

Also been comparing it against other interpretations of Southern livery

Here are both Rails / Dapol's Southern liveries (was the difference in shade really ever that dramatic between railway paint shops?)

IMG_20210627_124237.jpg.334c3e890d41d2cdc0de8fd632390da2.jpg

Hornby's H

Bachmann's E4

IMG_20210627_125201.jpg.f2ec5224c3e31c721acfcd67690c6069.jpg

What about the difference in the font for the numbers ?

Ray

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

"(was the difference in shade really ever that dramatic between railway paint shops?)"

The Brighton version was 'improved'. :D

Edited by Nile
adding a quote
  • Like 2

Was just testing it on my 9 carriage fictitious prestigious Brighton - Bournemouth express (usually hauled with ease by my H2) but it's far too light, can hear the engine making that grinding struggling sound and the bogies are lifting clean off the track with that many carriages, pity. Think I'll stick to the birdcage trio 

Edit: overall feeling a little underwhelmed and disappointed, perhaps my expectations were too high, but I'm definitely thinking I no longer want both of them, I think perhaps I might just keep the Sunshine one when it arrives and return the Olive. A malachite H2 is looking real tasty.

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Interesting, the colour difference doesn't seem to be as stark here. I wonder if swapping the tender numbers/lettering out to something slightly more 'Cream' would help further?

18 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

Has no one else received their 4S-027-003,  British Railways Sunshine Black ?

It looks very nice.

No. It seems that only Wainwright SECR and Maunsell SR green are out at this time. I'm waiting for the Grey and BR early crest and I hope they arrive just before I go away.... or can be held until I'm back.

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

No. It seems that only Wainwright SECR and Maunsell SR green are out at this time. I'm waiting for the Grey and BR early crest and I hope they arrive just before I go away.... or can be held until I'm back.

I received my SECR Green one a couple of weeks ago (dispatched 14th June), and was emailed this afternoon to inform me that my BR early crest one had been dispatched...  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

I received my SECR Green one a couple of weeks ago (dispatched 14th June), and was emailed this afternoon to inform me that my BR early crest one had been dispatched...  

Shipping seems to be hit and miss. My friend Al in Wales got his SECR last week but ordered it after I did and I still have not been notified my Southern olive one has shipped. Maybe they’re holding the overseas shipments till last.

4 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Well, I've got mine !

( Presumably one of the airlifted few ??? ).

47 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

Well, I've got mine !

( Presumably one of the airlifted few ??? ).

You've got your Wartime black version? Any chance of some photos?

I now have my Rails SECR class D , propose to use it pulling 3 coaches. Loco seems to “rise” over my peco insulfrog 3 way point when traction tyres go over “dead” frog , sometimes it stops. Any thoughts on how to cure? Also has anyone out there changed the driver for the none traction type? Appreciate haulage will suffer , but wonder if anyone has encountered problems when changing wheels and how they resolved them . Cheers!

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Rails Dapol Wainwright D class with Rails Dapol SECR 1424 vans:

(I thought this would make a change from Birdcages)

D_class1.jpg

D_class2.jpg

looks lovely but perhaps that inside motion needs a little toning down.  

All the very best

Les

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 36E ROY said:

I now have my Rails SECR class D , propose to use it pulling 3 coaches. Loco seems to “rise” over my peco insulfrog 3 way point when traction tyres go over “dead” frog , sometimes it stops. Any thoughts on how to cure? Also has anyone out there changed the driver for the none traction type? Appreciate haulage will suffer , but wonder if anyone has encountered problems when changing wheels and how they resolved them . Cheers!

First check probably to see that the back to backs are consistent. The traction tyred wheels may be different to the ones that go through ok, in which case if you can ease them on the axles to the same spacing - which could cure it.

5 hours ago, Les1952 said:

looks lovely but perhaps that inside motion needs a little toning down.  

All the very best

Les

Looking at my Wainwright liveried one, where they have painted red over the 'plated' safety valve parts, the paint is a little thin and the metallic surface shows through making it look a bit plasticy. I think that I shall apply a little extra red paint over this  just to increase the density.

Also, they have painted the dummy coupling hooks with fairly bright silver, which might look ok on the preserved one which gets regularly burnished in the museum, but not on the others. Perhaps a thin coat of aluminium or gun metal to tone this down would be appropriate.

All the best

Ray