Locomotion & Rails of Sheffield announce SE&CR D Class

AY Mod

Just now, CUCKOO LINE said:

22 days ago Rails said 10-14 days to dispatch all orders, no sign of mine yet, wonder how they are getting on % wise in dispatching ?

I've found it really odd that Rails have been completely silent about them since they were waiting to clear customs, I guess they're probably very busy but if it weren't for places like this forum you'd never know they'd arrived, I thought they'd be shouting about them all over their social media 

• RMweb Premium

No point trying to promote more sales of these while they are still working through the pre-orders. That would just result in more moaning about slow despatch.

• Agree 3

I picked up my Battleship Grey one from the Post Office this morning. ParcelFarce tried to deliver it yesterday morning while I was out shopping. The Post Office have the cheek to charge a £1 for collecting it from them. I said to the chap at the counter that I would have stayed in if I had known that it was coming, but I had no notification from Rails that it was coming.

Just unpacked it.

Nearside tender buffer adrift in box as per Wainwright one. This seems to be mandatory from what I have seen on here.

Handbrake standard at front of tender was crooked. Touched it, and it fell off (cleanly). Spot of super glue sorted those two out.

Livery applications looks good, not sure if the safety valve bonnet should be polished, as previously queried on here.

I have not got my books to hand, but suspect that the numbers on the tender are slightly compressed, same as I thought those on the Southern Railway green one looked.

I looked at the sandboxes on the loco. These are both floating around with only the pipes holding them in place, as noted on the Wainwright. Studying the information booklet, it seems that these cannot be attached to the underside of the footplate or you would not be able to remove the body/footplate from the chassis. Looks a bit flimsy, so will have to see if these cause any problems.

Also looked the spare parts list. I think that I will order some spare buffers and lamp irons when they are available, as most of the fixtures seem to be fragile and not well attached. Has anyone lost the whistle yet ? Is it plastic or metal ? Might try to get a couple of suitable turned brass ones. Had the same trouble with the whistle on the Bachmann C.

I will give the model a basic test run later on.

General opinion - Very good.

They will look nice running with my Bachmann Trio Sets.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1

Money taken for my early BR lined Black early emblem D yesterday, also got an email from Rails saying it's been dispatched, happy days! 

Best wishes, 

Jim. 

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

The Post Office have the cheek to charge a £1 for collecting it from them

I didn't have to pay to collect mine, have you been had?

45 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

I picked up my Battleship Grey one from the Post Office this morning. ParcelFarce tried to deliver it yesterday morning while I was out shopping. ........

Mine arrived yesterday while I was out shopping - got home to find a note saying it was behind the dustbin ! ......... it still was !

• Moderators
1 hour ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

I've found it really odd that Rails have been completely silent about them since they were waiting to clear customs, I guess they're probably very busy but if it weren't for places like this forum you'd never know they'd arrived, I thought they'd be shouting about them all over their social media 

Not only are they despatching all these they're busy getting a new showroom up and running.

Mine arrived Thursday, SE&CR DCC Sound fitted version. No parts hanging off or fallen off, all looks good. Can't see any issue with the tender to loco height as mentioned by others. Looks good with my other SE&CR Locomotives. I have only run it on the rolling road, no issues. I am new to DCC sound and this is only my third loco with sound. This being my first with a Dapol sound fitted. Is there a way of getting a list of the function keys rather having to keep on looking at the book. 

Mark

IMG_20210703_074022.jpg.acd77214c2798fb542ce753611b1f32c.jpg

IMG_20210703_074045.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Hi Graham,

A very fair review, I think.

When I had my version of 488 apart I thought that the boiler and smokebox were diecast. Maybe this needs to be checked.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Hi Graham,

A very fair review, I think.

When I had my version of 488 apart I thought that the boiler and smokebox were diecast. Maybe this needs to be checked.

Thanks, good point about the boiler and smokebox, I have resisted the temptation to try and remove the body, but have now done so and I am inclined to agree with you and have amended my review accordingly.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

They are also have problems with phones and internet after, I think, a council work crew managed to dig through important cabling close by. I’m sure that isn’t helping matters right at the point they are trying to process through hundreds of orders. 

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Paul_C said:

Any ideas as to when 31574 was withdrawn please?

There is a table of withdrawals in the Wikipedia article on the class, though only by calendar year not month or week. The information in that table is cited as coming from Bradley, so is presumably of impeccable accuracy.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Paul_C said:

Any ideas as to when 31574 was withdrawn please?

Paul_C

She was withdrawn  October 1956. 

Edited by Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

It has been noticed that on my Sunshine black version the front traction tyre fitted set of driving wheels have blackened rims, whilst neither the rear set or the spare non tyre fitted front set are so fitted. 
I guess this is due to the late decision to use traction tyres (along with the additional wheelset change instruction sheet).

So something else to amend along with replacing the over height (and too heavy green shading) Sunshine lettering.

D1734_7.jpg.a3096965f3e7130f5a1f8e09f270c676.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1