Locomotion & Rails of Sheffield announce SE&CR D Class

AY Mod

17 hours ago, No Decorum said:

It happened that I was sent a non-sound model by mistake – has the box a sticker on the end?

“TESTED: RC

SOUND FITTED:03” 

Thanks.  That makes sense.

There is a sticker that says 'DCC & Sound Fitted', but not

"TESTED: RC

SOUND FITTED:03"

I shall check with Locomotion...

17 minutes ago, KymN said:

Thanks.  That makes sense.

There is a sticker that says 'DCC & Sound Fitted', but not

"TESTED: RC

SOUND FITTED:03"

I shall check with Locomotion...

I have missed something.  Before I tried checking with Locomotion it occurred to me to try the loco on DC.  It ran, with sound.  So it is sound fitted.  Then I retried it on DCC.  Still quiet.  But because No Decorum had some noise by pressing several function keys, I tried F1.  And the sound came on!!! :good_mini: I don't remember seeing that in the instructions, but it does work, and turns it off again.  So I do have a DCC sound fitted model after all.  I'm not sure whether it is me or the chip in charge - I suspect it isn't me, but I'll call that progress.

Thanks again to No Decorum.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

12 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I'm afraid that livery issues seem to be par-for-the-course with Dapol - 'near enough is good enough' seems to be their motto!

CJI.

This attitude also applied to things like the faulty PCB design and dodgy livery colours on their first batch of class 73s.

• RMweb Premium

I have yet to receive any of my three, but paid the deposit for each loco for what I assumed

to be a high spec model.

Livery issues aside, I am disappointed more that the materials used, I.e. plastic instead of die cast has

been used for the boiler and yet Rails to the best of my knowledge chose not to advise anyone or

pass on any saving. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Eddie the dog said:

I have yet to receive any of my three, but paid the deposit for each loco for what I assumed

to be a high spec model.

Livery issues aside, I am disappointed more that the materials used, I.e. plastic instead of die cast has

been used for the boiler and yet Rails to the best of my knowledge chose not to advise anyone or

pass on any saving. 

The initial announcement didn't mention any diecast , although the initial pics seemed to show metal boiler . At least you've got a 5 pole motor

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eddie the dog said:

pass on any saving. 

The boiler on mine is diecast up to the smokebox but because it has to allow for the motor and dcc board it is thin.

Also you can't add too much weight forward of the drivers or it'll upset the balance over the driving wheels. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Just had my early crest BR one delivered, it seems to have the mandatory rear buffer loose in the box and cab roof detach as its unpacked ! Looks a nice model though, shame about the  Lion but when I discovered a picture on my local line (in younger days) of one then I had to succumb !! Maybe those with errors that stay like that will become collectors items, like faulty stamps are in the future. However mine will look good running with a birdcage set as prototypical, but that will have to wait a little while due to layout updating.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Alex, if the cab interior has come out it will be easier to refit the chassis first, then refit the cab interior. You have more room to manoeuvre the chassis.

On 12/07/2021 at 13:37, Edwardian said:

IIRC, the grey livery model was based on a picture taken in 1921.

Query whether the crew were as likely to have stripped back the brass beading during wartime.

EDIT: Said photograph, and it's October 1920

807886491_726atLonghedge16Oct-20Survey.JPG.e1a17e94711f1f369493cc180cc67bf0.JPG

Thanks for your help Edwardian, that's a great help.

The loco looks to be in really good condition considering it's a couple of years or there just about after the 1st world War.

Edited by Steam here!
Missed out some words.
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I believe myself to be fairly generous to manufacturers, I stood up for the Hornby 4VEP when it was taking a hammering from people on this forum for having a corridor a few mm out of scale. Here I echo some of the disappointment regarding some rather sloppy and avoidable errors, at £200 a loco one does expect liveries to be correct.

I suppose the thing we have to always bear in mind is that nobody is forcing you to buy the model. Quite simply if it doesn't meet your standards don't buy it and build your own. However, despite the niggles, I am delighted the SE&CR D is available in RTR form, and because I cant hope to build kits for myself (lack of skill and time) I have accepted these minor issues.

At a time when some manufacturers (Hornby) are becoming less and less adventurous and just retooling the same old celebrity 'big' locos Rails and Dapol should be commended for doing the D. I hope perhaps they might consider doing an E, especially if the bluebell project to build one advances.

At the end of the day, prices have shot up due to wage increases in China. But the processes that produce these models have little changed.

My Bachmann SECR C class from the first run cost me less than £70, the latest run isn't far short of this D class and the quality between the 2 is marginal though somewhat in the D class favour.

Had I built it myself, it would have been a huge challenge to match this quality. And I certainly would not have built 4 of them that I brought!

They all arrived with at least one buffer off, not really a niggle and easily refitted. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/07/2021 at 18:54, rembrow said:

I'm not surprised that Rails are not prepared to spend money to rectify the error, however they are the only conduit in which to make a complaint, which I believe is quite justified. The reason I've decided not to pre order in future, is that Rails charge a £30 non refundable deposit on their loco commissions, so if someone changes their mind, even due to the model having quality issues, they lose their deposit. I don't think it's unreasonable to say I'd rather wait for the model to hit the market before deciding to buy. In view of the recent experience and, due to the risk of losing the deposit, I will wait. I fully realise I risk the model not being available, but most are.

On earlier commission I had reason to cancel my order, but Rails did refund me by the way of a credit on my account. I think this is reasonable. The £30 credit was fairly quickly spent on something else!

• Like 1

Finally my Dapol/Rails arrived in the Netherlands. But it was a very expensive experience. To speed up the livery after Brexit, I let send my railway stuff via a British friend. So also in this occasion. Indeed my loc is much, much faster in the NL, than similar D Class locos of my Dutch friends, still waiting…

But I paid VAT in the UK, and my British friend send it to me. The Dutch douane let me however pay again the Dutch equivalent of the VAT (€ 60,-). And it seems there’s no way to get it back, due to the Dutch and UK officials. :(spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

2 hours ago, jburgt said:

Finally my Dapol/Rails arrived in the Netherlands. But it was a very expensive experience. To speed up the livery after Brexit, I let send my railway stuff via a British friend. So also in this occasion. Indeed my loc is much, much faster in the NL, than similar D Class locos of my Dutch friends, still waiting…

But I paid VAT in the UK, and my British friend send it to me. The Dutch douane let me however pay again the Dutch equivalent of the VAT (€ 60,-). And it seems there’s no way to get it back, due to the Dutch and UK officials. :(spacer.png

I've had 4 arrived to me in France (see my post above yours), none had VAT added at the source. One via the NRM, sound fitted which came by UPS. This one got the VAT + admin added on my side.

The other 3 via Royal mail as 2 seperate parcels. None of of those got charged VAT nor admin charges on my side.

• Like 1

Here is my BR lined example, arrived today in Western Australia. Already had the black paint out to tone down the silver brightwork, and altered that tender crest using a Fox transfer!

639354020_DSCN0161(2).JPG.ac8885de2ae3a8140cdaf285b9222129.JPG

982660620_DSCN0162(2).JPG.cf6d56c792b6a65ef05f69e25858ac1e.JPG

1219914533_DSCN0165(2).JPG.a794c5649fe84a817eb5e3d1e583d39a.JPG

Just running in on the rolling road at the moment, but the elegance of the design shows well even in black. Why was it transferred to Colwick though?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

Yikes, be carful when handling your loco, all of this is from simply running the engine every now and then, its not like I'm throwing the model around or anything, kinda sad to see something like this on a 200 pound model, my Hornby H class has the same lining but doesn't have the same issue. It almost feels like I'm handling a modeling with waterslide transfers on it with no primer applied.

20210825_205930.jpg.bcba856156b8fc165e40ae8bdfd600bf.jpg

Edited by Als Yard
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Als Yard said:

Yikes, be carful when handling your loco, all of this is from simply running the engine every now and then, its not like I'm throwing the model around or anything, kinda sad to see something like this on a 200 pound model, my Hornby H class has the same lining but doesn't have the same issue. It almost feels like I'm handling a modeling with waterslide transfers on it with no primer applied.

20210825_205930.jpg.bcba856156b8fc165e40ae8bdfd600bf.jpg

Have you contacted Rails? That should be returnable under normal trading law as defective for a replacement shell. 

On 26/08/2021 at 00:58, PaulRhB said:

Have you contacted Rails? That should be returnable under normal trading law as defective for a replacement shell. 

They offered me a return but no replacement, since the model sold out so fast I guess, I'm just going to think it out before I make a decision.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Als Yard said:

They offered me a return but no replacement, since the model sold out so fast I guess, I'm just going to think it out before I make a decision.

How about order the Locomotion one and return yours?

Still in stock. 

http://www.locomotionmodels.com/exclusive-models/steam-locomotives.htm

I made the mistake of pre ordering the NER railcar two plus years ago. They have had my £30 for all of that time , I asked got money to be returned, as the release date is put back and back , and that still continues today. I never even got a response from them .

They wont be getting anymore business from me , simply not good enough. I might even refuse to pay the remainder if it ever appears and swallow the loss of £30.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Als Yard said:

they are only offering store credit for the refund

Hmmm I would suggest reading this about products under 6 months as the onus is on them. I would direct their attention to this and if unsuccessful getting repair or replacement then it should be a full refund not credit. 
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product-aTTEK2g0YuEy#how-long-do-i-have-to-return-a-faulty-product

Failing a positive reply I would suggest talking to trading standards with the details for up to date accurate advice. Certainly when I worked for a major retailer over twenty years ago we could not offer credit under six months so it’s worth asking. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1