Locomotion & Rails of Sheffield announce SE&CR D Class

AY Mod

Well, this should take a little heat from the Hattons 'generic 4&6 wheeler' thread! Are these two worthy merchants attempting to monopolise RMWeb?

I think we should be told...

Great announcement by the way, do I give in and order 737, presumably in gloss full SECR livery, or just BR black 31574?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 2

• AY Mod locked this topic

So excited by this! Heard several rumours for ages that Hornby and /or Bachmann were working on it or thinking about it or cancelled it or whatever, but well done Rails :D I continue to be impressed and excited by your announcements. It'll be the wartime black for me as usual, although I am tempted by the SR Green one too as it is with later  1xxx number as opposed to early  Axxx... Exciting times for modellers of South East / Central section steam. If anyone is going to give us accurate rolling stock of lbscr and / or SECR origins, it's probably going to be Rails of Sheffield. :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I think that would worry me. The trick of having the tender weigh down the back of the loco works well enough on a layout with proper points and wide curves. I think it could be problematic for a 4-4-0 on trainset points and curves.

Surely its about time that building models of this calibre should not be dominated by the need to go round trainset points and curves.....

Keith

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

I like the way Graham's blog ends "….and Rails of Sheffield have beaten a number of interested parties to the market."

There have been rumours of Hornby doing a D and/or E class for 2020. Maybe in January we will see yet another Rails/Hornby duplication conflict on a pre-grouping loco. The pedigree D vs the not so pedigree D....

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

2 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

Surely its about time that building models of this calibre should not be dominated by the need to go round trainset points and curves.....

Keith

That's fine as long as you don't mind only selling a few of the models.

Over the last few years we have had some models that include design innovations which have led to problems. Generally, the simpler the concept, the less there is to go wrong. I would have thought that getting as much weight as possible over the driving wheels was an example of this.

• Agree 4

I see they are doing 1734 in wartime black, what are the chances that's the exact the number I chose for this kit built one I bought off a Twitter Follower.... Strange world.  I chose that number because I saw a photo the real 734 coming through Hove (my local station). 

20191015_110506.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

39 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

If you read the blurb you will see that for the first time in the UK it has a push together loco to tender coupling, or words like that.

If this is on the lines of continental models then a good portion of the tender weight will actually be going onto the rear of the cab.

I have confidence that the parties involved know what they are doing.

Bernard

The Stirling Single has a push together loco to tender coupling. However this D takes it further by being a "pin less" push together coupling.

Reading the blurb, the impression I have is that the DCC chip will be in the loco with a speaker there by default and the user can add a bigger speaker in the tender. 

This suggests at least 2 electrical contacts between loco and tender for the speaker wires, most likely 4 if we include tender pickups. Probably a sort of iPhone charger type connection.

The loco fitted chip has advantages, allowing the firebox glow and making working lamps easier to fit on the loco. Though on SECR types, most people will probably just use the more common discs.

I probably don't need all of these features on an RTR model, but suspect it would not reduce price much leaving them off.

19 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

I like the way Graham's blog ends "….and Rails of Sheffield have beaten a number of interested parties to the market."

There have been rumours of Hornby doing a D and/or E class for 2020. Maybe in January we will see yet another Rails/Hornby duplication conflict on a pre-grouping loco. The pedigree D vs the not so pedigree D....

Hornby could go ahead and do an E, wouldn't that work nicely :D 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

Did Christmas come early. I’ve wanted one of these for years. They have to be the most gorgeous 4-4-0 ever made. My pre-orders for the 2 BR versions will be made next payday. Maybe if Hornby was looking at it could they not be persuaded to do the E, D1 or E1 class. 

big james

• Agree 1

Bloody fabulous .Have ordered the SECR version .One of my favorite  locos ever .Will probably end up as a shelf fairy as my chances of ever making a British layout in 00 receded every day  so after a quick run on my SP layout it will be mothballed in my display case..

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, Big James said:

Did Christmas come early. I’ve wanted one of these for years. They have to be the most gorgeous 4-4-0 ever made. My pre-orders for the 2 BR versions will be made next payday. Maybe if Hornby was looking at it could they not be persuaded to do the E, D1 or E1 class. 

big james

Delighted with this news. Though personally I think the GWR Armstrong 4.4.0s are the most gorgeous ever made, the D is a close 2nd.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Big James said:

They have to be the most gorgeous 4-4-0 ever made.

3 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

The Adams T3 is a sweetie. And these were a bit 'ansome:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/440-pics/16-brunel.jpg

Roll over, chaps:

966497794_4-4-0_Midland_Beatrice_1757compressed.jpg.6a2e8b51c4ba472966a3330e8f7d464a.jpg

... though I will admit the restrained elegance of the Adams outside-cylindered 4-4-0. 

Surtees' D is rather a late-comer to the field of Victorian slim-boilered 4-4-0s but does show its Derby heritage.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, locoholic said:

... I'm a bit surprised that the whole boiler including smokebox is metal whilst the cab and splashers are plastic, since this will push the centre of mass well forward of the driving wheels - I hope traction tyres aren't involved.

If someone on the design has had the wit to check out the Hornby D16/3 4-4-0 layout, also with a cast metal boiler shell, it will perform very well without traction tyres. That model has plentiful traction for a dozen coaches on level track. And that's despite Hornby's draggy inside 'bearings' and wiper pick ups on the tender, real thieves of traction: much superior arrangements are possible there.