Locomotion & Rails of Sheffield announce SE&CR D Class

AY Mod

Decided to pre order the SE&CR Green and SE&CR Grey ones. In an ideal world I'd like the southern green as well but as some have already commented at close to £200 each that's about all I'm going to go for. Last week I gladly picked up a bargain Southern sunshine C Class at Kernow for £70 but I know generally for new models we can expect at least £150.

• Like 1

On 15/09/2020 at 22:26, Otis JB said:

And we all know how well Dapol have handled complex decoration on recent models *cough* *cough*

On 16/09/2020 at 18:09, Otis JB said:

I was indeed referring to the Terrier. To my knowledge a model that has had two, possibly three decoration errors so far.

Otis

Indeed? 

First point, in reference to the D, as many readers are doubtless aware that D involves a different factory, and designer for that matter, from the Terrier, as has previously been made public. Thus, comparisons between the two products are not likely to have much relevance.

Second point, and I am by no means having a go, you have suggested that there are a number of known "decoration errors" with the Terrier's "complex decoration". That suggestion perplexes me not a little. Aside from some of the minor but necessary compromises that are entirely unnoticeable and of a kind found on all RTR models, I am at a loss to account for your view. The only thing I can think of is that the IEG ones have been delayed, as Rails have said, to ensure that they are right in this regard. Yet that is not a point against the models we will eventually receive.

I worry that the comment on 16th is a doubling down on that of the 15th, whereas a withdrawal of the original hasty remark might have been better. 

As a paying customer for these models, I have just as much concern about the quality of what gets delivered to me as anyone else.  While some apparently distorted livery application was a function of the bowing issue (which, as I recall, was then addressed), I do not think one can sensibly claim decoration as a weakness of these models. Rather, with the two complex pre-Grouping liveries I have received so far, I have no complaints concerning livery accuracy or application.  The same goes for the application on the holly green B4, which I also have (though I have no idea which factory produced those).  

To suggest that there is a known issue here is, I think, misleading and, hence, unfair. I sincerely hope that you do not think it unfair of me to point that out, and I hope you enjoy whatever purchases you make. 

20200930_141357.jpg.ef173ac40e15dd135a93715ef561c84d.jpg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

25 minutes ago, jamesC37LG said:

I was most pleased with the livery application on my Terrier. If the D turns out anything like this I'll be most content! 

IMG_20200930_212525.jpg.2b0a7378928b5690618e4a918f0ebcbd.jpg

- James

I think the colours in your photograph show up better than in mine.

(it's gloomier up here than wherever you are - presumably Norfolk, unless you're in Antigua or cruising off Cape Trafalgar - and the lights distort colour) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

(it's gloomier up here than wherever you are - presumably Norfolk, unless you're in Antigua or cruising off Cape Trafalgar - and the lights distort colour) 

The camera never lies, eh? :) 

Those two photos from @Edwardian and @jamesC37LG  of two examples of the Dapol SE&CR Terrier (which we can reasonably expect to be the same colour as each other) really do show how impossible it will be to ever resolve the "which green is correct" questions.  It's all down to how you view (and record) it...

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

10 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I'm often dubious about taking photos of models under the "warm" and rather unnatural lighting of my living room, but I felt this one came up alright. It's interesting to see the comparison to the Bachmann effort on the C class. The green is paler and the running plate/frames are darker on the latter. 

And as nice as that all sounds, I'm very much in GER territory! (Or WNR if you'd prefer!) 

- James

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

..... how impossible it will be to ever resolve the "which green is correct" questions.  It's all down to how you view (and record) it...

Indeed - harking back ( almost on topic ) to a Maunsell green 4-4-0, these two shots are adjacent slides scanned under exactly the same settings : - 

59.29.jpg

59.30.jpg

• Like 6

But if you look at the boiler dome in the second pic, the green is almost the same as the tender back on the first pic. Direct sunlight has a warmer colour temperature than shaded sunlight, hence the blue cast of maunsell green in the second pic.

Anyway, back to the D.  :)

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Martin.M said:

Good to see this progressing. Is there any visibility of the cost as I am committed for three of these and it would be good to know which side of Christmas too?

Nope only the hope of it being under £200 from Rails/Dapol, sounds like it might be announced when they leave China so the most up to date exchange rate can be used. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/10/2020 at 10:11, Edwardian said:

Indeed? 

First point, in reference to the D, as many readers are doubtless aware that D involves a different factory, and designer for that matter, from the Terrier, as has previously been made public. Thus, comparisons between the two products are not likely to have much relevance.

Second point, and I am by no means having a go, you have suggested that there are a number of known "decoration errors" with the Terrier's "complex decoration". That suggestion perplexes me not a little. Aside from some of the minor but necessary compromises that are entirely unnoticeable and of a kind found on all RTR models, I am at a loss to account for your view. The only thing I can think of is that the IEG ones have been delayed, as Rails have said, to ensure that they are right in this regard. Yet that is not a point against the models we will eventually receive.

I worry that the comment on 16th is a doubling down on that of the 15th, whereas a withdrawal of the original hasty remark might have been better. 

As a paying customer for these models, I have just as much concern about the quality of what gets delivered to me as anyone else.  While some apparently distorted livery application was a function of the bowing issue (which, as I recall, was then addressed), I do not think one can sensibly claim decoration as a weakness of these models. Rather, with the two complex pre-Grouping liveries I have received so far, I have no complaints concerning livery accuracy or application.  The same goes for the application on the holly green B4, which I also have (though I have no idea which factory produced those).  

To suggest that there is a known issue here is, I think, misleading and, hence, unfair. I sincerely hope that you do not think it unfair of me to point that out, and I hope you enjoy whatever purchases you make. 

20200930_141357.jpg.ef173ac40e15dd135a93715ef561c84d.jpg

Hello there Edwardian I hope you are well,

Forgive my very late response, I haven't visited RM in quite a while. 

Firstly I would like to state that I agree with you and your analysis and I am not offended in the slightest by your opposition, after all this is what discussion is all about. Reflecting back on my previous comments I see now that it was unfair to draw comparisons between the Terriers and the Ds, the proof will clearly be in the pudding and I was thinking and writing in haste, as I so often do. I also didn't know that they will be produced by different factories so that is something important to consider. I do have to say though, although your Terriers look very nice, there have been so many reports of defects and extremely shoddy quality (see the Rails Terrier thread here and Sam's Train video on YouTube for example) that I am not filled with much confidence for my soon arriving Terrier or future Dapol releases. There have also been many good Dapol release without problems in the past though I grant you so I will not suppose anymore but I feel like they are suffering a rough patch in terms of QC at the moment. 

I think I will remove those posts and not be so cynical before there is any reason to be from now on. 

Keep safe, kindest regards,

Otis 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Otis JB said:

although your Terriers look very nice, there have been so many reports of defects and extremely shoddy quality (see the Rails Terrier thread here and Sam's Train video on YouTube for example)

Or this review:

Oh no, sorry, that one doesn't support your contention. My bad!

13 hours ago, Otis JB said:

I am not filled with much confidence for my soon arriving Terrier

Probably better to wait until you receive yours, run it on your layout, and then make a judgement. Since you have one coming, why jump the gun?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, truffy said:

Or this review:

Oh no, sorry, that one doesn't support your contention. My bad!

Probably better to wait until you receive yours, run it on your layout, and then make a judgement. Since you have one coming, why jump the gun?

FYI that review hadn't been released when I commented :) ... 

It definitely shows the models in a very good light but keep in mind they were review samples.

I only said I wasn't hopeful, I obviously can't predict the future, I just haven't been very lucky lately. Rails have been very good at returning and replacing Terriers when something's wrong but as I want to modify mine I'm worried about finding a fault after I start work. 

Anyway that's enough of that I won't presume any further... 

Kind regards.

• 2 months later...
On 11/01/2021 at 19:23, Jack P said:

@Oliver Rails do you or @RailsOfSheffield have any updates? I appreciate that The global pandemic situation has of course probably impacted timeframes. 

I can't recall if this was stated as being scheduled for release after the GWR mogul?

Likewise be great to hear updated timelines on both this and the Caledonian if possible

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

I also asked the about progress or any changes ect, on the NRM Facebook page regarding the Nrm version but nothing, not a word. 

Please bear in mind the museums are closed and may have reduced staff levels.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

We have a busy Q2 here at Rails with several exclusives expected. The Wainwright D Class is one of them. Production is in the final stages and as factories slowly return to full speed after CNY we are expecting a new update really soon. 

Prior to CNY they confirmed things were on track and see no further delays.

I will update again once we have confirmed progress.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Indeed and I want to see the final production liveries before placing an order as there were changes to be made. 

That's a risk, isn't it? By the time you've decided you like it, there may be none left!

• Agree 5

8 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

That's a risk, isn't it? By the time you've decided you like it, there may be none left!

It is but I can imagine there's a few others like me after seeing the first samples with the interesting colours used, though there were some good areas.

No warning of low stock has been given yet so I hope there will be enough left when production models are shown