Jump to content

Locomotion & Rails of Sheffield announce SE&CR D Class


AY Mod
 Share

Recommended Posts

Some called the SECR extravagant… But what’s the difference with the Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway? Green is blue… Even nice, I would say!spacer.png

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Jack P said:

An interesting post on Tony Wrights thread from Ian Rathbone. I thought it might give further perspective to the debate around 'value for money', and the livery application.

Thanks for injecting some reality into the ridiculous carps about the imperfect paint job on a £200 loco, Jack. The RTR-for-less mob don't know they are born where professional painting is concerned. 

  • Like 3
  • Agree 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

It does make me wonder why the SECR went for such an extravagant ornate livery in the first place, must have been a right ball ache to paint the real things...?!

 

It was a case of corporate rebranding. The SECR was formed out of the SER and the LCDR, who both had reputations for poor service, so their successor wanted to improve its image with a new livery on the locos (and some very comfortable new carriage stock). 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 22/06/2021 at 10:55, wainwright1 said:

My full Wainwright arrived this morning. Had a quick scan, looks very nice, but one tender buffer adrift in the box. That seems to be par for the course. I wonder if there is a tight spot in the packaging ?

 

Have to go out now, but will take it down the club tonight and hopefully give a test run. I do not have a layout at home to test it on.

 

Not sure when the SE & CR Battleship Grey one will come.

 

All the best

Ray

Took the loco down to the club last night, but did not get a chance to run it.

Put it on the track to see what it looked like and found the tender binding. On closer inspection found that the brake gear had dropped  down. Pushed it back and it stayed, does not appear to have been glued.

Had another look this morning.

Gave it a basic test and it ran very nicely with good slow gearing, unlike some of the other more recent offerings from the trade.

The detached tender buffer is now glued back on, but I noted that the NEM coupling is missing its hook. This does not bother me too much as I normally take the hooks off the locos used on my exhibition layout as it makes it easier to uncouple trains.

On more major problems I found was that the offside forward sandbox on the loco appears to be adrift. This is in an awkward place with the steps right in front of it and the pipes are attached to other places. I tried pressing it up, but it does not appear to locate into anything. It would be difficult to get glue under it without getting it onto other areas which might be visible. I do not want to have to break something else in order to repair it. There are also two silver marks on it. Not sure if it is made of metal and they scratches, more likely plastic and it is silver paint where it should not be ? I will leave it as it is to see if it causes any problems and can easily retouch the paintwork will a suitable colour. 

I checked the cab roof and it is attached reasonably well, but only to the spectacle plate, there does not appear to be any glue to the side sheets.

In general I am very pleased with it, especially the rendering of the livery. I could not do a paint job like that !

 

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My first one was waiting for me when I got home just now =) here's a couple quick phots in not the best lighting, fair play it is a little stunner, I'll get to play with it on my old layout Sunday. I've Included a close up just to give fair comparison scrutiny as I gave the SECR one, the lining seems applied much better, of course it is much simpler. Just wondering what that white line is doing either side of the brass, was the prototype like that?? (Edit: it really wasn't, see my post further down) I doubt I will ever see a real life D Class in Southern livery =(.

 

Also am happy to report nothing has fallen off it in transit =) 

 

Edit: loco and tender appear to be the same height too

 

Edit 2: Silver/grey coupling hooks look a bit odd, kinda makes them look like unpainted plastic

 

IMG_20210623_212337_edit_1642735068910795.jpg.2ca3a6f9d6c686bb6de56ee1f93b74e0.jpg

 

IMG_20210623_212550_edit_1642779941032143.jpg.843bcda45881b0a7e8571adba3b45aa2.jpg

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Thanks for injecting some reality into the ridiculous carps about the imperfect paint job on a £200 loco, Jack. The RTR-for-less mob don't know they are born where professional painting is concerned. 

 

Maybe it's just that some of us understand that commissioning someone for a one off is very different to a mass produced item, and not really comparable in any industry, not just model railways. You might even find some of us are professional modellers and very much do know we are born.

  • Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Received my SECR green version from Rails the other day and happy to say it was fully intact and runs like a sewing machine.

The only loose item in the packing was the front coupling hook, but that would have been no drama to put back on. As it was I had no intention of retaining the front tension lock anyway.

No lining issues/smudges as highlighted by others earlier in the thread either, all crisp and correct including the lining on the splashers.

That being the case it would appear QC is perhaps variable.

All the same I'm a very satisfied customer and it does look rather magnificent, even if it is something of an irrelevant indulgence!

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Just wondering what that white line is doing either side of the brass, was the prototype like that?? I IMG_20210623_212550_edit_1642779941032143.jpg.843bcda45881b0a7e8571adba3b45aa2.jpg

 

Upon further inspection, the other side is much better aligned

 

IMG_20210624_001717.jpg.fcab87db431fb23a34e53e8ae8b63ff1.jpg

 

*** Edit: I've had a private message from someone who would rather stay anonymous but they say:

 

"The white line should not cross the beading. There should be a line above the beading in an arc  side to side so that the white line forms  the bottom edge of a closed panel on the cabside. 

Underneath the beading the line should continue under the beading in a arc to the bottom corner where the beading meets the running plate."

 

They've sent me a couple of photos including one of the real 1730 which demonstrates how it should look.

D1577.jpg.b9e5170317192eedbdf432286648c5c4.jpg.34c45a8abb2c51c127c66bc865a8f0a2.jpg

 

Yes this one has the paint scraped off on the brass bits but the model is definitely not quite right

 

D1730.jpg.711a546e961bfe3e2334ff3504260c3a.jpg.0b3478c867351b76fe231167535741fa.jpg

 

It would appear they've just just not researched properly I guess, a little disappointing (end edit) ***

 

Also noticed a bit of a blip in the lining here 

 

IMG_20210624_001232.jpg.7acf8762b2c2a2e37d9be69e07e8dce8.jpg

 

For the record I noticed these at viewing distance... but as has been pointed out it's 'just £200', so don't consider it a critique, just an observation.

 

Also there appears to be curvy 3s on the buffer beams and plates, so where the straight topped 3s on the tender came from we may never know!

 

IMG_20210624_000941.jpg.114e5f067c3c9f662505e250651a61a4.jpg

 

 

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
Added information
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

@GreenGiraffe22 FWIW I have no idea whether the path of that white lining is prototypical or not, but it looked weird to me even at the decorated sample stage. That’s when I started to have misgivings. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My Southern one turned up yesterday though it had a couple of the previously mentioned items pop off (one buffer and the cab roof) so thanks for the heads up that these items were quick repairs. It looks lovely but I won't be able to run it for a while so cant attest to its running qualities.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, truffy said:

@GreenGiraffe22 FWIW I have no idea whether the path of that white lining is prototypical or not, but it looked weird to me even at the decorated sample stage. That’s when I started to have misgivings. 

The lining should, indeed, cross the beading like that - but the beading was probably painted over !

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, truffy said:

@GreenGiraffe22 FWIW I have no idea whether the path of that white lining is prototypical or not, but it looked weird to me even at the decorated sample stage. That’s when I started to have misgivings. 

 

I've edited my post with some updates info 

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cab and tender detail is pretty awesome to be fair! I've put it in direct sunlight to catch the detail which has made the interior a rather intense bright mustard. When loco and tender are assembled there's rather more shadow cast over it.

IMG_20210624_101044_edit_1682959825533304.jpg.087141cd6975c81fb4412733fe8bcd6c.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

They've sent me a couple of photos including one of the real 1730 which demonstrates how it should look.

D1577.jpg.b9e5170317192eedbdf432286648c5c4.jpg.34c45a8abb2c51c127c66bc865a8f0a2.jpg

 

Yes this one has the paint scraped off on the brass bits but the model is definitely not quite right

 

D1730.jpg.711a546e961bfe3e2334ff3504260c3a.jpg.0b3478c867351b76fe231167535741fa.jpg

 

It would appear they've just just not researched properly I guess, a little disappointing (end edit) ***

1730 in the lower photo doesn’t have the white line on the rear splasher though. It’s clear on the front one but definitely not there on the rear one. 1577 has it on both. I would say it looks like there should be black outside the white though. 
 

76883850-7884-4B8B-937A-7E71E654E717.jpeg.04cb66e22aa191fbf718309e829d839b.jpeg

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

1730 in the lower photo doesn’t have the white line on the rear splasher though. It’s clear on the front one but definitely not there on the rear one. 1577 has it on both. I would say it looks like there should be black outside the white though. 
 

76883850-7884-4B8B-937A-7E71E654E717.jpeg.04cb66e22aa191fbf718309e829d839b.jpeg

 

We all know black and white photos are tricky when it comes to lining but it definitely looks like the black is missing from down the front edge of the cab too.

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest I was hoping another batch might do the fully lined splashers so I’d held off getting a Southern one too. That’s why I was tempted when Andy noted the NRM edition was also satin finish :help: 

 

 

;)  Am being strong so far . . . 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

To be honest I was hoping another batch might do the fully lined splashers so I’d held off getting a Southern one too. That’s why I was tempted when Andy noted the NRM edition was also satin finish :help: 

 

 

;)  Am being strong so far . . . 

 

Yes, no disrespect to the loco crews at the time, but I personally think it looks better with the painted lining than scraped brass, and in 00 it looks a little silly! 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

 

Upon further inspection, the other side is much better aligned

 

IMG_20210624_001717.jpg.fcab87db431fb23a34e53e8ae8b63ff1.jpg

 

*** Edit: I've had a private message from someone who would rather stay anonymous but they say:

 

"The white line should not cross the beading. There should be a line above the beading in an arc  side to side so that the white line forms  the bottom edge of a closed panel on the cabside. 

Underneath the beading the line should continue under the beading in a arc to the bottom corner where the beading meets the running plate."

 

They've sent me a couple of photos including one of the real 1730 which demonstrates how it should look.

D1577.jpg.b9e5170317192eedbdf432286648c5c4.jpg.34c45a8abb2c51c127c66bc865a8f0a2.jpg

 

Yes this one has the paint scraped off on the brass bits but the model is definitely not quite right

 

D1730.jpg.711a546e961bfe3e2334ff3504260c3a.jpg.0b3478c867351b76fe231167535741fa.jpg

 

It would appear they've just just not researched properly I guess, a little disappointing (end edit) ***

 

Also noticed a bit of a blip in the lining here 

 

IMG_20210624_001232.jpg.7acf8762b2c2a2e37d9be69e07e8dce8.jpg

 

For the record I noticed these at viewing distance... but as has been pointed out it's 'just £200', so don't consider it a critique, just an observation.

 

Also there appears to be curvy 3s on the buffer beams and plates, so where the straight topped 3s on the tender came from we may never know!

 

IMG_20210624_000941.jpg.114e5f067c3c9f662505e250651a61a4.jpg

 

 

i held off ordering a Southern D because I was unconvinced they had got the correct shade of olive green.  despite assurances that the production models would be correct, I'm really disappointed just how badly wrong the olive green is on these models, before any considerations over lining etc. such a shame, these could have been superb models.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

hmm that green looks more at home on a jeep !

My wife is very pleased with her SECR version of this , just like the one she saw at the NRM, however I do wish modern models were a bit more gloss, whatever the scale fanatics may say.  

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears to be a fair interpretation of Urie locomotive green as briefly adopted by the Southern - but somewhat closer to the true colour of an olive than to the green adopted as standard.

 

Hopefully mine will be closer to the colour of a black olive - in the sunshine !

Edited by Wickham Green too
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...