Rusty rail paint?

I have urgent need of a convincing rust colour with which to brush-paint the sides of the rails in some steam-era sidings which are rarely used.  Acrylic preferred though not essential, but it must dry completely matt.  Anybody care to recommend one please? 

ETA - I've never been impressed with either of the two Railmatch "rust" colours.

Edited by spikey

I use various mixtures of Humbrol acrylics. Rest, Dark Earth and Matt Black.

In combination these three colours cater for a range of track conditions.

I think that you will find that they are matt enough for even the most critical eye.

Stuck outside Euston the other day I had a good chance to observe just how varied rails can be in colour.

Bernard

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The sides of rails were seldom "rust" coloured - they used to be much browner.  I've used Phoenix Precision P977 Track Colour (Rusty Rails) (Matt) and am very happy with the result.

DT

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

Revell paint No. 84 is what I've used on the chairs and rail, it goes on well straight from the tin and sticks to N/S rail well. It's dark enough not to stand out in a photograph unlike some of the track colour paints. On the flatbottom track a wash of 133 Humbrol on top of the Revell 84  to make the newer rail look slightly different.

510827767_CrabonWharfeside.JPG.df9f891a0863ef3ee51b127c6ace0df6.JPG

Dave.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thank you, gentlemen.  That's me sorted once again.  I actually managed to get to the model shop this afternoon and came home with three Humbrol tinlets, a mix of which will do for the fan of sidings I'm trying to get finished this week.  OK they're enamels, but can't win 'em all :)

Whilst there, I was fascinated to note that Railmatch paints are now sold in what appears to be black glass bottles.  Am I alone in thinking that a singularly daft idea?