Kidmore Valley Railroad

Unashamedly lifting a trackplan from "Sheepyard Creek" (this forum) & having an assortment of USA stock for "Kidmore Fork V2", the idea for yet another layout was born. Again this uses a Scale Model Scenery modular baseboard which is to be fitted in a Really Useful Box (RUB).  Layout size therefore is 28" x 8".  This provides a sufficient space for a three siding, one point, fiddlestick operation & will be my fifth layout in a RUB box.

The theme for Kidmore Valley is an American Shortline Railroad.  These are invariably served by a secondhand loco obtained from a mainline Class 1 operator.  By default, this permits in modelling terms the use of any liveried stock from essentially any US railroad......unlimited scope then !

Initial images show track laid & given a coating of Railmatch track grime.  Once dry, this will be ballasted & scenic treatment started.

IMG_1668.JPG

IMG_1666.JPG

• Like 13

Bit of progress over the weekend.  Electrics, such as actually needed, completed; a grass bank added ...... I have an aversion to totally flat layouts .... & every thing apart from the hardstanding given a coating of earth paint.  Not yet firmed up on any structures although probable that a couple of shipping containers will be used as a view block to the fiddle stick.

IMG_1669.JPG

IMG_1670.JPG

IMG_1671.JPG

• Like 4

Progress update images. Ground scenic work now underway & basic hedge structure installed to link with photo background;  I will add a few broken bits to break up uniformity. The shed is simply a Bachmann RTP with added barge boards from coffee stirrers.  The loading bay is made with the same stirrers on a foamboard former.  Small shipping container now painted but will be adding more containers as view block to fiddle stick.

IMG_1684.JPG

IMG_1686.JPG

IMG_1689.JPG

• Like 6

Latest build progress images as layout nears completion.  One change I am making from the above is replacing the fiddlestick with a removable fiddle board with two sidings using a loco lift for the interchange.  Now its at this stage I have realised the generic potential, ie although it has been built for USA outline it can easily accommodate UK stock as there really are no major giveaways of location.

The only snag I have found with the Scale Model Scenery baseboard kits that fit the Really Useful 22ltr box is that there is next to no room foe electrical contacts on the outside of the baseboard whilst still able to get it comfortably in the box. 

IMG_1703.JPG

IMG_1705.JPG

IMG_1706.JPG

IMG_1709.JPG

• Like 9

Not overly happy with the operation of the fiddlestick, see image above, so constructed a transfer table using a spare Scale Model Scenery board .  Connection is simply by joining up the fishplates & bolting the main board & table together.  To ensure power, a simple block & plug connector is fitted.

IMG_1721.JPG

IMG_1723.JPG

• Like 3