Allocation of BR Class 08’s from New.

GW Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hello.

I hope, after a long search in a number of ‘old’ sites that someone out there can point me in the direction of a list of 08 depot allocations, since new. I have a need as I wish to renumber a couple.

Thanks in anticipate.

James.

• RMweb Premium

Chard.

Thanks very much just what I was after. It would seem the sites I had saved are no longer 'up & running' for some reason.

Now need to track down some early photos of them.

Cheers.

James.

13 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

Treat with caution there are a LOT of errors on there, one loco I looked up was 08243 which was allocated to Knottingley in 1981 until withdrawal but that isnt listed on there at all, there are many others such as locos allocated to depots which closed years before etc.

It is a good site but just needs a bit more research to corroborate the info. 

Edited by royaloak
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, royaloak said:

Treat with caution there are a LOT of errors on there, one loco I looked up was 08243 which was allocated to Knottingley in 1981 until withdrawal but that isnt listed on there at all, there are many others such as locos allocated to depots which closed years before etc.

It is a good site but just needs a bit more research to corroborate the info. 

Yes - there were many depots which closed to steam yet remained as a satallite depot to the main diesel depot for signing on etc, good example was my local depot Kipps (65E) were many shunters could be found despite the shed being officially closed and the locos nominally allocated to Eastfield  (65A).

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Cardiff Docks' 08s, officially allocated to Canton, were stabled in the open on a siding near 'Fletcher's Wharf', the north side of Queen Alexandra Dock.  This was not even a booking on point and there were no facilities; the men just turned up for duty, started them up, and carried on...

BR database shows 13388/9/90 allocate new to Tondu in 1954, presumably for yard shunting and presumably in black unicycling lion livery; I may possibly have a go at one of these sometime in the future!

4 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Yes - there were many depots which closed to steam yet remained as a satallite depot to the main diesel depot for signing on etc, good example was my local depot Kipps (65E) were many shunters could be found despite the shed being officially closed and the locos nominally allocated to Eastfield  (65A).

Jim

But the locos werent allocated to the satellite depot, they were allocated to the main depot, there are shunters shown allocated to Newton Abbot long after it closed and the locos transferred (both on paper and physically) to Laira. 

It is an excellent work in  progress.