Hatton's website product navigation

richarddavies

Hi

Tomorrow at 11am we intend to email some of our most frequent customers, to officially launch a new product navigation system

I thought I'd give RMweb a preview - really interested to see what you think

It's at https://staging.hattons.co.uk/ and it's ready to accept orders, and do whatever you may currently do on our regular site

A direct route into the new functionality is from https://staging.hattons.co.uk/landing.aspx or https://staging.hattons.co.uk/collections/all/search/sources/New%2CPreowned

I'm really keen to hear any feedback you may have

Hope this is of interest

Richard Davies

MD, Hatton's

Richard,

First problem - though likely I know the answer already - it doesn't work with IE11.

Works fine with Chrome and looks nice, seems to be VERY snappy and responsive when you start filtering and I like the overall layout. Possibly the filters section could be a little smaller (font) to allow more visible at one time - caveat, I AM on a laptop right now, but I'm sure many folks will be on smaller than my usual 27" monitor ;)

Before I get a barrage of "why use that carp IE", my work requires me to use IE as the systems I install/develop for still have that as the PRIMARY certified browser so I have it open all day every day during business hours and prefer not to run two browsers...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks for the feedback Ian

We will check it out on IE11. It was working during our last set of tests - but maybe one of our late tweaks has caused something to go awry

I have deliberately made the filter font large - but maybe I've overdone it

Thanks again

18 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Richard,

First problem - though likely I know the answer already - it doesn't work with IE11.

Works fine with Chrome and looks nice, seems to be VERY snappy and responsive when you start filtering and I like the overall layout. Possibly the filters section could be a little smaller (font) to allow more visible at one time - caveat, I AM on a laptop right now, but I'm sure many folks will be on smaller than my usual 27" monitor ;)

Before I get a barrage of "why use that carp IE", my work requires me to use IE as the systems I install/develop for still have that as the PRIMARY certified browser so I have it open all day every day during business hours and prefer not to run two browsers...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dito, fast responsive, filters quick and easy to apply, just wasn't sure at first if no control filters applied to say, diesels, what was Dc, DCC ready or DCC fitted, only seeing the full detail when I went into an item, might just be me being a muppet though :jester:

Android 7" tablet. .Opera,  Clean clear and easy to see but yes maybe slightly smaller filters

Oh and you missed the RM webbers special discount filter as well !

Edited by Mattc6911

• RMweb Gold

Just wondering what the "Offer" text means that appears on a few items in this list:

https://staging.hattons.co.uk/collections/all/search/brands/Bachmann Branchline/product-types/Accessories%2CDMUs/scales/OO

I like the new layout and the filters are fast.

I also noticed that when you go into a product like this one:

https://staging.hattons.co.uk/10174/bachmann_branchline_32_452a_class_170_3_turbostar_2_car_dmu_in_south_west_trains_livery/offerlistings.aspx

The "ask a question about this product" box is broken.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just tried the first link on W10 / IE11, and it looks pretty much as before but responds much faster. Thumbs up from me so far as it goes.

Correction. as soon as you start to filter it rapidly grinds to a halt and exhibits empty lists. Example search by Manufacturer - Airfix/GMR - Coaches (it said four in stock) all looked fine up to that point but failed to come up with any product details. 

New stock and pre-owned, which aren't split by manufacturer, still seems to work, though. It just falls apart when you try to filter anything.

The "direct" ones don't work at all, for me. All selected filters came up empty or failed to load. Can't work out which. 

John

PS All seems to work fine 22/10/19

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

I’m having issue with filters...

see screenshots..

1 applying filters:

my default search was class 47 

no double quotes.

D1DF7EC6-250C-4B45-A940-6F86A0570AA6.png.c8190f13dcc211c405ef4b0052962fb9.png

When selecting brand, the options are refocusing to the top of the list, this is quite confusing, as say I check Heljan, then Bachmann, “B” goes to the top, refocuses Hornby to 3rd place from second and so on...

AD2DD68E-A6F3-4DB7-9B2A-81EE2E6DFAD2.png.3e08ef6cdcbb48a006429363cfcd8547.png

Suggestion: sort alphabetically, let the user check the box, and dont resort the list.

2. After performing the search, i viewed the results... all good, but when i clicked the back button to refine the search, the filter state is lost, and cannot recover.

486FC5AC-C5A2-4B95-A338-C840267FCA8F.png.d8d84b7c9d92d15056475e5a9c430d45.png

search using ios on an ipad.

Doesn't show any products for me, although it tells me that that there are a total of 22Hornby OO coaches (including new and pre-owned) that are SR Maunsell in SR Olive Green, either in stock or on order, Era 3, from the UK without weathering.  I commend it for potentially saving customers lots of money!

I use Windows 7 on a Dell laptop.

Excellent on my windows laptop. Very fast, very easy to use and enabled me to narrow down to my area of interest very quickly. A+

One minor detail, I would like to be able to control how many items are shown per page. Including the option of "all".

It was a menu change to the Rails search log that drove me away from that store.  The new Hattons search is too detailed and frustrating and hopefully not mandatory.  Say I want to look at pre-owned wagons.  It seems that I have to tick the box for every individual manufacturer plus wagon types.   Somehow I had around 130 odd wagons found but after I ticked a few more boxes I finished up with just two items in the search field.  Why did I bother???????

9 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

It was a menu change to the Rails search log that drove me away from that store.  The new Hattons search is too detailed and frustrating and hopefully not mandatory.  Say I want to look at pre-owned wagons.  It seems that I have to tick the box for every individual manufacturer plus wagon types.   Somehow I had around 130 odd wagons found but after I ticked a few more boxes I finished up with just two items in the search field.  Why did I bother???????

What do you mean about ticking the box for every individual manufacturer?

You can just tick "Pre-Owned", "Wagons" and "OO" to bring up all pre-owned OO wagons, and the numbers next to the tick boxes tell you how many results your filtered search will come back with. Having established a broad category this way, you can then search within it if you're after something specific.

It seems very intuitive to me, and much more useful than the old website. The ability to filter by multiple fields across multiple categories, and indeed to search those categories for specific fields - in effect searching for search terms, is a godsend.

Unless of course I've completely misunderstood your post, in which case I apologise.

Edited by SquireBev

3 hours ago, richarddavies said:

Thanks a lot for the feedback, which has led to some further improvements to help produce our latest version

https://staging.hattons.co.uk/collections/all/search/sources/New%2CPreowned if that link doesn't work

Many thanks

Richard

I  notice in this latest version the option to sort by date listed has gone - this I liked as it gives a truer representation of stock being added for both new and pre-owned.

image.png.d4ad111335a9f56ce12e402e738f93b3.png

Sorting items by price does not seem to be working for me.  Sort pull down displays "New Item Price..." even if only second hand items are listed. The old website sorted fine on the same browser/OS combination.  I'm using latest Palemoon browser 28.7.1 on Linux Mint 18.3.