richarddavies

Hatton's website product navigation

Yes - I understand what it's done, but it feels like some logic needs to be plugged in to the search algorithm as most people typing in Class 66 on the site are looking for a Class 66 loco. It's just something that annoys me about the search on the site.  

I've just had a go at the Class 66 search, and of 173 items that came up, around 150 actually were Class 66 diesel locos, so not too much chaff to scroll through.

This is rather better than it was, so it appears that further fine tuning has taken place. However, I doubt it's feasible to devise an algorithm that can exclude all other things without making the "other things" impossible to find for those who do want them. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

What happens if you put it in quotes "class 66"? If set up correctly that should only return things with thise characters in that order.

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

What happens if you put it in quotes "class 66"? If set up correctly that should only return things with thise characters in that order.

HTTP 400 Bad request

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

HTTP 400 Bad request

Winner winner chicken dinner :D still needs work then :)

8 hours ago, richscylla said:

No results for me. 

Screenshot 2019-11-03 at 08.01.59.png

Back on a real computer so tried it and I get the above.

Using quotes in searches to achieve better results is pretty basic stuff, and not in any way unique to the Hattons site...

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, SquireBev said:

Using quotes in searches to achieve better results is pretty basic stuff, and not in any way unique to the Hattons site...

True. Or logic operators (class AND 66; class+66). But the site should make it clear how to achieve the required outcome.

Thanks for all the ideas and feedback. 

We are working on the search - definitely an improvement on the previous version, but always room for improvement! 

Rich

Excellent - could not find anything to critique!!

On 30/11/2019 at 16:25, richarddavies said:

Thanks again for all the help.

We have made a number of changes, based on your feedback and suggestions

For anyone interested, the latest version is at https://staging.hattons.co.uk/collections/all/search/sources/New%2CPreowned

Best

Richard

MD, Hatton's

The only thing I'm not keen on is that the photo showing what the product is for sale, is sometimes a stock photo and not necessarily of the actual model for sale (second hand items).