MRJ 274

chris p bacon

56 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

I couldn't see an existing thread 

There must have been some other distraction on RMweb!

Oh well, as the subs issues are out, the newsagent ones will appear in a week or so. Thanks!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Hroth said:

There must have been some other distraction on RMweb!

I know, searched for ages until I realised it had actually been missed.

Another really good edition, had to put it down to get some work done!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Subscription copy arrived here too. Postman knocked, as envelope says "Do not bend". 

Jerry Clifford's editorial is on the theme of railway modelling as an aid to mental health and wellbeing - he's evidently been keeping well clear of RTR announcement topics on RMWeb!

The Leeds City article is mostly about the signals - the ground signals have an iceberg quality to them. 

Theatre and Model Railways is about stage lighting.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Two of the featured layouts, Blueball Summit and Midland in Bristol, will be making an appearance at this weekend's Uckfield Model Railway Exhibition.

Also at the show will be Chris Matthew's Bottom Works Sidings which appears in the Cameo Gems feature and elsewhere.

RMweb thread: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/147532-35th-uckfield-model-railway-exhibition-19th20th-october-2019/

There may also be a few copies of MRJ 274 on sale at the show for those who don't have it on subscription and can't wait to find it in a WH Smiths

• Like 2

I'm afraid there has been been a very slightly misleading problem in my article on Theatre, and that is that the three photos of the Garratt appear to be in the reverse order, and the colours have sort of averaged out, so they all look much the same. I think the colour of the loco hasn't helped, and I could have made a wiser choice of photos showing the differences much more clearly. In reality the difference of the positions of lighting make a very obvious and visible contribution. I do apologise.

Giles

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Giles said:

I'm afraid there has been been a very slightly misleading problem in my article on Theatre, and that is that the three photos of the Garratt appear to be in the reverse order, and the colours have sort of averaged out, so they all look much the same. I think the colour of the loco hasn't helped, and I could have made a wiser choice of photos showing the differences much more clearly. In reality the difference of the positions of lighting make a very obvious and visible contribution. I do apologise.

Giles

Here are the pictures that I sent up, I'm not sure what has happened - I will investigate.

Jerry

1_Top_Light_1.jpg.e0a0ff0d784454739d64803c59fff26b.jpg

2_Top_and_side_light_1.jpg.ebf41626b1c7bee638d6edb36f1529e3.jpg

3_Front_Fill_light_1.jpg.04118a356ec95efde13327e917f0a586.jpg

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I did wonder prior to reading Giles’ comments regarding the printing and captions of the three Garretts.

In my copy the print appears to be very similar with the top image looking like I expect ‘top and side’ to look, and the bottom two almost indistinguishable.

That said a fascinating article, and combined with the other content makes this issue my favourite for quite a few issues. Design layout and printing repro all excellent, save for p262 as above.

MRJ at it’s best.

DCDDD568-5322-4280-A915-14C76493B605.jpeg

Edited by PMP
Add pic to assist
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Giles said:

Giles

Well done though Giles; altogether a fascinating and informative read.

• Agree 1

Just for those that hadn't realised it was due, here is what I do:

I use Outlook on the pc, and in the Calendar section I create reminders. I do quite a few, and categorize them (Birthdays, regular payment, medical appointments, etc) . The relevant one is Magazines; all my magazines (about 12 of them) are listed in there with the next issue number (or month on the cover) and date of publication. I then allow Outlook to create a reminder (default is 0.5 days but can be changed). So the day before publication, I get a reminder pop up to say the mag is due the next day, I never forget one that way. If I then purchase it (on time) I change the details to the next issue. If I don't get it till later, I defer the reminder for a day or so.

But then you probably all are aware of doing this already...

Stewart

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Am I right in thinking this is only the second time an N gauge layout has appeared in the MRJ?

This was the basis of an MRJ crossword question some years ago. At the time JBS's  Ashburton was the only N gauge layout to have featured. His Totnes layout has appeared since so with Blueball now added to the list there has still never never been an N gauge layout not set in Devon to have featured in a full article!

There have, however, been a couple of N gauge layouts that have had photo features - Tom E's Ropley and sections of Paul Stephens' S&D layout. 

Jerry

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, queensquare said:

This was the basis of an MRJ crossword question some years ago. At the time JBS's  Ashburton was the only N gauge layout to have featured. His Totnes layout has appeared since so with Blueball now added to the list there has still never never been an N gauge layout not set in Devon to have featured in a full article!

There have, however, been a couple of N gauge layouts that have had photo features - Tom E's Ropley and sections of Paul Stephens' S&D layout. 

Jerry

I nearly put my foot in it,  by mentioning Copenhagen Fields and then remembered that it's 2mm finescale and not N gauge.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I nearly put my foot in it,  by mentioning Copenhagen Fields and then remembered that it's 2mm finescale and not N gauge.

Could be worse. You might have mentioned one of the editor's layouts.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Haven't received supplies in waterlogged Larkhall yet, but well done to Jerry for getting Blueball Summit into the magazine - a fabulous piece of work.

Everything else looks good too, I look forward to receiving a parcel shortly....

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:52, chris p bacon said:

I know, searched for ages until I realised it had actually been missed.

Another really good edition, had to put it down to get some work done!

Mind you Dave I searched for exactly the phrase MRJ 274 and got no results. Only found your thread by doing a manual approach to "other media" so there are probably a dozen or so identical threads out there discussing the appearance or otherwise of this very magazine in W H Smiths in Horrocksford…..

• Like 1

It puzzles me why there is a reluctance in the introduction to articles not to state the scale of a model, and there are several instances in MRJ 274.

One can see from the photograph on the first page of the excellent article by Giles Favell on layout lighting that the layout is probably 7mm scale.  Although perhaps it is not relevant for the subject being discussed, it would have been nice to have the scale confirmed.

I happen to know that Midland In Bristol is 7mm scale, but not all readers will know that.  Or, perhaps a new reader has come across this layout for the first time and will be none the wiser. 

I have no idea of the scale of the Cavan and Leitrim No. 22L bogie brake van described in the article by Simon de Souza as it is not stated.  If somebody knows, can they please enlighten me and perhaps other readers who might also be wondering?           

• Agree 7

3 hours ago, Bonafide said:

It puzzles me why there is a reluctance in the introduction to articles not to state the scale of a model, and there are several instances in MRJ 274.

I've been stumped a couple of times in the past over this question, and it has only clicked when I realised, for example, that the level of finish and detail was totally unachievable in 4mm scale, disregarding the actual width of the track!

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Hroth said:

I've been stumped a couple of times in the past over this question, and it has only clicked when I realised, for example, that the level of finish and detail was totally unachievable in 4mm scale, disregarding the actual width of the track!

That usually means it's 2 mm...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3