OO Quayside Surface?

I am just starting to build a OO gauge harbour side layout and would like some advice on what sheet material I could use to represent the quayside and quayside track bed surface. I know that the track rails should be at the same level as the quayside surface but  for this layout that is not important. What I want to achieve is a surface let's say like cobblestones covering an area as shown in the plan below. Please could anyone suggest a way to cover the surface or a scenics manufacturer specializing in surface covering materials?  

Shunting Habour.jpg

@Graham_Muz 's rather excellent Canute Road Quay layout may provide some inspiration.

It was exhibited at the Great Electric Train Show in MK at the weekend. Have a look at the various YouTube videos for the event if you want tosee the finished result.

14 minutes ago, LU Standard Stock said:

I've had this one bookmarked for some time, by Chris Nevard: http://nevardmedia.blogspot.com/2012/11/quick-cobbles.html Not tried it myself yet but it looks like a good technique. :)

Thank you. But as I am fairly new to modelling, at this stage I would prefer to use sheet material that comes a roll or on A4 sheets or a suitable surface that I can download from the internet and print.

Greg

17 minutes ago, 5 C said:

@Graham_Muz 's rather excellent Canute Road Quay layout may provide some inspiration.

It was exhibited at the Great Electric Train Show in MK at the weekend. Have a look at the various YouTube videos for the event if you want tosee the finished result.

Thank you.

1 minute ago, LU Standard Stock said:

Fair enough, understandable.

Would you know of any manufacturers or download providers that produce this sort of material? I have seen the likes of ballast mats and grass mats but not cobbles. I would even consider rolls or sheets of old style paving. 

• RMweb Premium

Artisan,

try a google image search for 'cobbles texture'

This should give you a range of images to pick from.

My usual technique is to copy your favoured image and paste it into a blank word document. Re-size the pic as required, then copy the resized pic and paste multiple times until the page is full (you might need to adjust the margins to get the most on the sheet). Then print and use. I've done this successfully with cobbles, concrete slab paving, etc.

I usually do a test-print (b/w, normal paper) to check the size and overall look, adjust if required. The final good prints are done on a higher quality card and printed using a laser printer preferably - inkjet colours may be affected by moisture and certain adhesives (PVA, etc). If required, I'll build up the areas between the tracks with 2mm eva foam and/or card  to support the print to just below railhead level (to avoid issues with track cleaning and lifting wheels off rails)

The slab paving on my boxfile micro was simply a suitable texture pic used as described above.

BwHf.JPG

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CloggyDog said:

Artisan,

try a google image search for 'cobbles texture'

This should give you a range of images to pick from.

My usual technique is to copy your favoured image and paste it into a blank word document. Re-size the pic as required, then copy the resized pic and paste multiple times until the page is full (you might need to adjust the margins to get the most on the sheet). Then print and use. I've done this successfully with cobbles, concrete slab paving, etc.

I usually do a test-print (b/w, normal paper) to check the size and overall look, adjust if required. The final good prints are done on a higher quality card and printed using a laser printer preferably - inkjet colours may be affected by moisture and certain adhesives (PVA, etc). If required, I'll build up the areas between the tracks with 2mm eva foam and/or card  to support the print to just below railhead level (to avoid issues with track cleaning and lifting wheels off rails)

The slab paving on my boxfile micro was simply a suitable texture pic used as described above.

BwHf.JPG

Thank you for the helpful  advice.

Greg

• RMweb Premium

Oh... and a good way to get the print close to the rails, especially around pointwork, is (once the track is fixed down in its final position) to use a large sheet of lining paper and a crayon to make a rubbing of the trackwork. You can then use this as a cutting template to match the texture sheets to the track.

Edited by CloggyDog

I've bought some excellent cobblestones embossed on thick paper from an eBay seller in Greece. He is not expensive and dispatches within a couple of days.  He also has a good range of embossed brick and stone wall papers.

7 minutes ago, Dickon said:

I've bought some excellent cobblestones embossed on thick paper from an eBay seller in Greece. He is not expensive and dispatches within a couple of days.  He also has a good range of embossed brick and stone wall papers.

Are you able to give me the eBay seller's ID or a link to his eBay listings?

Greg

My attempt on Tormouth Quay uses the Wills sheets cut to fit in & around the track.  I also used the "brass rubbing" technique mentioned above to get a cutting template.

Not the easiest of jobs 'cos they're a bit tough to cut but they're just the right thickness to sit on top of the sleepers & leave the railhead very slightly proud (which, obviously, is important whatever method you use).

1213438156_170209TormouthQuayDSC_4636a.jpg.2abab72e7171fb986136c83e9e172249.jpg

Photo courtesy Chris Nevard / Model Rail

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

Agreed - Wills setts do look good but are a proper pain to cut around curved track etc. These days I grout mine before painting, with polyfiller, rubbed on with a finger tip and cleaned up with kitchen towel, as the mortar lines between the blocks are quite deep.

WP_20190309_15_03_48_Pro.jpg.37fa92d1da642fc3845ad63284771521.jpgWP_20190309_15_32_20_Pro.jpg.277eb092571ee167e28ac27e8f74218a.jpg