C&L Finescale New 00 gauge Flexi track

hayfield

The C&L new 00 gauge track base has been out for a few months but I have not seen any reviews of the product, recently I bought a 2 meter pack or mainline chaired. It is designed for use with scale code 75 bullhead rail 

The first thing to say is that this flexi track is to 4 mm scale and is the first to have keys between the chairs and rail, like some others it is designed to replicate 60' track panels, two sprues make up a track panel, each panel has a 12" sleeper at one end with a S1J chair (larger than a standard chair) The spacing between the first 3 sleepers is also slightly smaller (as per prototype) than the other sleepers. Similar to most other flexitrack systems there is a gap between the sleepers in the webbing which alternates from side to side to allow for a smooth curve when bending the track 

C&L have also moved away from the very thin track base to a thicker one which is more compatible with products from both Exactoscale and Peco. In my opinion it is a vast improvement on C&L's previous product and has the edge over its competitors with the use of HiNi  nickelsilver rail which is less yellow in colour, has keys between the chairs and rail, plus the correct spacing and size of sleepers in 60' panels. I have also checked the gauge for narrowing when being curved, it was found to be fine

This product can either be bought in I meter lengths with NiNi nickelsilver rail, either in a mainline version with the keys facing the same way, or single line where the keys alternate their direction

Or in 2 meter packs without rail, which you have to thread the rail on yourself, BUT you will need to use scale profile code 75 bullhead rail, 

891.jpeg.f1b101908a12466cf65344fa745909d5.jpeg892.jpeg.40264df441cf3f0f947996629dfd5fb2.jpeg

These first two photos show the sleeper strip as it comes in the raw if you opt to buy the packs where you add the rail yourself

893.jpeg.0a1b2d611a502af3cec627579a8accd6.jpeg

This photo shows the end of the sprue with the 12" timber, with the slightly larger chair on the 12" sleeper and the different spacing between the first 3 sleepers

895.jpeg.bd4ef5107b26e89697636351c138d6ef.jpeg

View of the track with the rail added

894.jpeg.cbb3da349d9d152f7637878d35968976.jpeg

close up view of the highly detailed chairs

As I said it can be bought with rail in meter lengths, of if you have either spare code 75 bullhead rail or wihs to replace the earlier track base in packs of 2 meters of sleeper sprues only

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

When building my layout I found the old style track's thin base to be an advantage when you used in conjunction with tracklay sticky underlay. It was a doddle to lay and ballast track and get a neat result, sprinkle thin layer of ballast onto the underlay, rather than messing around with conventional ballasting, dribbling diluted glue etc. I've never understood why more didn't try this approach, well apart from the cost of the tracklay, but even then for the time saving worth it IMHO.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Does C&L do concrete sleeper track too?

Unfortunately in flexitrack no, Peco code 75 flexitrack and Exactoscale fastrack bases*** as far as I know the only ones available in 00 scale, Peco is their usual H0/00** scale gauge and Exactoscale is 4 mm scale 00 gauge.

C&L do sell  DOWMAC concrete sleepers but are for EM or P4 scales ( the sleepers are 34mm in length), their ST baseplates can be used with other products and are designed for code 82 flatbottom rail) .Peco in addition to their flexitrack sell some Individulay products IL-121 Concrete sleepers (96) and fixings (200), The sleepers are 32mm long which is 4 mm scale 00 gauge, you could also use their Pandrol clips IL-112

** I am assuming the concrete Peco Streamline matches the wooden sleepered track being made for both H0 (3.5mm ) and 00 (4mm) scales

***Exactoscale fastrack bases are made in 00, EM & P4 gauges and use C&L code 82 flatbottom rail

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, The Great Bear said:

When building my layout I found the old style track's thin base to be an advantage when you used in conjunction with tracklay sticky underlay. It was a doddle to lay and ballast track and get a neat result, sprinkle thin layer of ballast onto the underlay, rather than messing around with conventional ballasting, dribbling diluted glue etc. I've never understood why more didn't try this approach, well apart from the cost of the tracklay, but even then for the time saving worth it IMHO.

The thinner based track is still available

The benefit of the thinner based track is it uses less ballast, but those who build turnouts and crossings are migrating to 1.6 mm thick plastic timbers to avoid the issues with thinner timbers curling as the solvent dries and shrinks, also the thicker base is far more sturdy if pins are used to to fix to the base board.

• Informative/Useful 3