Saved from the Scrapyard!

Marly51

That clay pavement is brilliant.  A tip, if you are short of corrugated fencing - Starbucks coffee cup holders are a slightly finer scale corrugation than other well known coffee shops.  Not that keen on their coffee but it makes a fine roof for the workshop I am building on my layout.  Regards, Chris

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

13 hours ago, Dufus said:

That clay pavement is brilliant.  A tip, if you are short of corrugated fencing - Starbucks coffee cup holders are a slightly finer scale corrugation than other well known coffee shops.  Not that keen on their coffee but it makes a fine roof for the workshop I am building on my layout.  Regards, Chris

Thanks, Dufus! Always on the lookout for bits and pieces we would normally throw away. There are so many cylindrical plastic tops and tubes, which I think “Would that be about the right size for the boiler in a scratchbuilt locomotive?” :lol:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Modelmaking has been on the back burner this month, with the main focus being on preparations for our family Christmas! I had already sprayed the base grey, with some bits of foam glued to battery box holder to rear of the model. Currently modelling engine parts from thin card and these will be glued to the pile along with various spoked wheels. My next job is soldering some wire to create a drain grating in the road gutter, framework for corrugated fence and yard gates. I’ve been collecting reference photos of corrugated metal fencing including these two from own collection. This is an old oil depot at Lairg Station. I also found a thin strip of rust peeling away from an old field gate hinge, and thought I could add flakes of this to the scrap pile, suitably sealed afterwards!

F668B451-1064-4AC4-B6C9-566D9C58736D.jpeg.4c875958774585cf98c4e7cab983fb50.jpeg

C3CF67F7-8C6E-4900-BB20-2F169D69C2BF.jpeg.438bea62883b18c910922bbe99ec2a54.jpeg

B1D7AB30-7BE8-4945-9140-B88B2FC98469.jpeg.3c966765cbacf57f5236bec06f1990dc.jpeg

2FD931A6-B888-40BE-8DA0-38166515CF81.jpeg.436ad3acd60c5bb7a70579cfd3e143ba.jpeg

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Wishing everyone in the  CakeBox Challenge and on the Forum all the best for 2020!

The reality for me is that Christmas and New Year is just too hectic to grab some quiet time for modelling! The workshop is not at its most inviting when you have to clear the snow and ice to get to the door, either! I shall carry on with my industrial CakeBox, so that I have the complete set of models from this last two years of Challenges! Definitely recommend trying out new techniques and scales as a small project like the CakeBox, micromodel, shelf, etc. Happy modelling, everyone!

Marlyn

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/02/2020 at 18:25, Kevin Johnson said:

Hi Marlyn is there any progress on your industrial cakebox.

Hi Kevin,

Sadly no progress since the New Year, but I hope to get back into the model shortly. I haven’t been on the Forum for a while, so have to catch up with what everyone is up to.  Hope your models are coming along?

Marlyn

• Like 1

Hi

On 16/02/2020 at 12:14, paulbb said:

Love the card mock ups.. where is this place?image.png.e5a1ae5cfe8d00e068aeb0c3c906faed.png

Hi Paul - I thought this photo had an embedded link. I am pretty sure it is a photo of Woodham Brothers Scrapyard in Barry.

Marlyn

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, paulbb said:

Marlyn

you could be right,  but the 3 jinties and 3 standards and a crab suggest somewhere else; the shed in the background looks big for Barry tho

Paul

I did wonder, Paul? It came up with a Barry search - will see if I can find it again and post the link! 

Marlyn

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Marly51 said:

Hi Kevin,

Sadly no progress since the New Year, but I hope to get back into the model shortly. I haven’t been on the Forum for a while, so have to catch up with what everyone is up to.  Hope your models are coming along?

Marlyn

Hi Marlyn my railway modelling has slowed down a little because of work and problems the weather has been causing.

Will be watching as work continues on your cakebox.:good_mini:

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Well it has been quite a while! This year the wilderness, otherwise known as my garden, took over! Now the nights are drawing in once more, it is time to tidy the workshop and finish this little model. I have another couple of ideas for some additional cake box models, just for the hell of it!

• Like 6

• 6 months later...

As I have managed to finish my entry for the 2021 Challenge, think I should return to my unfinished models and complete this one, for starters! Now where did I put the locomotives? :scratchhead:

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

So much for my good intentions... but railway modelling has still been on hold. Just too many family commitments! Unfortunately I had slimmed down my photograph collection and some images were lost when an older iPad battery failed! However I should be able to upload a number of missing images, to most of my topics, as these were saved on my main computer. Looking forward to spending a bit more time on the Forum checking up on members projects and maybe this winter some of my own projects will move forward!

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 2