Bachmann EZ track compatibility question

Arthur Daley

I have used EZ track in the past and have a lot of experience with it.  Unfortunately, I have a lot of it, too, after throwing good money after bad...  It's now all stored away in a box someplace.

EZ track is adequate for test ovals and perhaps for setting up something to run on a floor.  Farish and Dapol locos and stock run fine on it.

The problem with EZ track is that it is a grossly inferior product compared to Kato Unitrack, which is a similar type of track.  Unitrack is 1.) much better made, 2.) looks more realistic, 3.)  much cheaper (at least here in the US), and perhaps most importantly, 4.) Unitrack also offeres a far greater variety of curve radius and of straight track lengths.  And yes, Farish and Dapol locos and stock run fine on Unitrack, too.  In fact, you can get Unitrack in 7.5" radius, and Farish and Dapol locos will run fine on that, too, although the newer Farish "Blue Ribband" labelled coaches don't.

Since you said you are new to N gauge, I want you to have a positive experience.  So I strongly recommend you do not use EZ track.

Matt

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Pandora said:

Join the Club, Go for Kato Unitrack,   it is a very comprehensive  system with  no less than 9 radii in the range 150mm to 481 mm and then  781 mm  ,  super elevated curve sectional track if you want such, nothing else  on the market compares with the KAto range

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that.

Flexible track offers just about an infinate range of radii, and code 40 rail is far closer to scale than the code 80 of Kato track. It's also debatable as to whether the moulded ballast base is realistic - it raises the track far too high from the track bed and looks grey and plasticky with painted on sleepers. And you don't see the equivalent in OO/4mm used on many fine layouts.

But, of course, it's a personal choice thing. And, yes, it is good for temporary test ovals.

• Agree 1