Freight at Doncaster is there any still?

Simon Moore

It's been about 4 years since I was last at Doncaster & it was a very busy weekday with about 17 freight passing during the morning / early afternoon. It was even busier in the 80s when I was a kid.

It's now my turn to take my son to see the trains, he's nearly 3 & train mad & I'd like to take him where I went with my dad to watch, question is are there still freight trains passing? I can only visit on a friday (it's his only day he isn't at pre school)

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Theres still a ex-Middleton Towers sand service that rumbles past...  The down services rumble past at about 1420 and 1748.

The up services are a little bit early, well still in the middle of the night!

Andy G

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Containers and a few other boxes of something or another and these head off down the Lincoln line these days. Odd engineering stuff. That's it really, apart from the Sand as mentioned and the odd steel. Some stuff goes around to the Rotherham line from the south and is hardly visible from the station and some stuff coming south uses the freight avoider north of the station. It is still a busy station with new whizzy trains to admire and plenty of places to seek refreshment and or comfort. Friendly and open station except on race days when it can get a bit lairy……...

Check Real Time Trains for the Friday schedule, many of which are Q and often others are cancelled (as you probably know?)

Have fun.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Rhb Simon said:

It's been about 4 years since I was last at Doncaster & it was a very busy weekday with about 17 freight passing during the morning / early afternoon. It was even busier in the 80s when I was a kid.

It's now my turn to take my son to see the trains, he's nearly 3 & train mad & I'd like to take him where I went with my dad to watch, question is are there still freight trains passing? I can only visit on a friday (it's his only day he isn't at pre school)

Should have said that there are often 66s parked down in the south yards but that is a long walk but you can get the 55 Bus I think it is that goes down that way. Ask at the Bus Station about the best Bus for B & Q/ Potteric Carr; they go over the railway down the end of the yards.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rhb Simon said:

Yes still quite a bit about - my local main line station!  Anything to/from Felixstowe, Wakefield, Southampton, Doncaster iPort, Leeds FLT and Tees Dock are intermodal workings.  The Doncaster Down Decoy to Immingham HIT and North Blyth to West Burton are coal flows (yes there are still some!), as are anything originating at West Burton.  I think gypsum is still coming out of Cottam to Hull Docks (least it was 10 days ago).

Anything into Doncaster West Yard is likely to be either units on test, or something being delivered to Wabtec for the Works - the latter also shows as Doncaster Works Wagon Shops.

Scunthorpe Roxby Gullet to Rossington is a DB Cargo flow of spoil.

Doncaster - Collyhurst Street will be a freight, empty wagons for GBRf's spoil flow from Collyhurst St at Manchester to Roxby Gullet.

Hedon Road Sidings to Belmont Down Yard is a DB Cargo freight flow - imported steel I think.

Goole Docks to Scunthorpe is a DB Cargo flow - steel, as is Wolverhampton to Immingham.

Dollands Moor to Scunthorpe is empty intermodal wagons with steel carrying cradles fitted. The loaded southbound working between to two places goes out during the evening through Doncaster.

Middleton Towers to Goole, Barnby Dun or Monk Bretton is GBRf Sand - there are paths in from Middleton Towers to all three, but only one will run.

Doncaster to North Blyth (1134) will be a GBRf move - might be a freight, might be light engines, I cannot remember.

Doncaster to Peak Forest will go round the curve at the bottom but should be aggregate empties (or a light engine).  The Peak Forest to Selby will be an aggregates working

York Thrall/York Engineers Yard to Doncaster will be engineers wagons off repair - something long welded rail carriers also at this time of year, it can RHTT wagons being sent places to replace failed/damaged ones.

Leeds Balm Road to Doncaster Wood Yard or Whitemoor Yard will be one or more Freightliner 66s moving for weekend engineering work.

Hitchin Down Yard/Scunthorpe Frodingham/Doncaster DCE Sidings will all be track machines.  

STPs currently shown to/from Doncaster Carr, Barlby Loops, Darlington, Newark North Gate (and anything from Hull to Peterborough or vice-versa) are Class 800/801/802s IETs on test.  

The Derby RTC to Tyne SS path at 1254 is a test train, so may be 37s.

Hope that helps

Rich

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks everyone for the replys, I was concerned that with the drop in coal traffic it might be a bit quiet now.

Just need to get rid of this flu virus & next friday could be a go. When i went about 1985/6 it was wall to wall 56 & 58 on coal trains along with every other variation of freight & its stuck. I want my boy to have that same experience, he's already train mad but I think that sealed the deal for me & I want to do the same with him. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 17/10/2019 at 08:50, Rhb Simon said:

Thanks everyone for the replys, I was concerned that with the drop in coal traffic it might be a bit quiet now.

Just need to get rid of this flu virus & next friday could be a go. When i went about 1985/6 it was wall to wall 56 & 58 on coal trains along with every other variation of freight & its stuck. I want my boy to have that same experience, he's already train mad but I think that sealed the deal for me & I want to do the same with him. 

No problem - it is almost wall to wall 66s these days .. but 37s/68s can appear on test trains,  47s are a possible on movements to/from Wabtec, 56s or 70s on the Colas jobs (as Paul's photos proved), and the occasional 50 ( see below) or 56s if DCR have a movement are all possible.

Hope you both enjoy the visit!

@hmrspaul Nice shots selection of shots there.

IMG_9714.jpg.2ecf81f4f429253c0fe02ba448b25972.jpg

This shot was a pure fluke, I'd just stepped off train on my way home!

Rich

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

I was surprised by the earlier responses, so thanks to "Marshlane", A couple of hours at the station after the O gauge show on 1 June kept me busy enough; nearly spilled my beers. https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=doncaster 2019-06-01

Paul

Yup, that's pretty much Donny these days with the occasional surprise so checking RTT is essential for ZZs etc. Scotsman through north last week (LE+ Support) I am told or in the area at least.

Great pics Paul.