Eastbury Yard (a modern era yard somewhere in the South West)

pitbull1845

Please note that as usual the ideas change as the story continues, so enjoy the journey but don't expect the opening post to resemble the last page!

Hi, Yes it's me again with another idea. I wasn't going to bother starting a new thread, but it was suggested that even if it doesn't get finished (like all the others) people may get some ideas and tips..

So here it is:

The layout itself will be a tail chaser, I normally go for layouts that consist of lots of freight movements and shunting, so this will be a bit different for me.

The idea is that the layout represents the approach to a station,  location is not finalised yet, but I'm airing on somewhere between Newport and Cardiff, I could call it Carport or Newdiff station??

I'm afraid i don't have any pictures to post yet, but to date all track is laid on the main board, however it's not fully wired yet. I've also started on the scenics, which to be honest isn't my favourite bit and don't feel I have the artistic flare like others on here. So I'll be keeping it simple and try to represent the built up town area.

I do have a bit of a quandary at the moment in relation to the fiddle yard. I've steered away from tail chasers because I don't like the limited operation of the same freight train going around in the same direction every time. In the real world there's usually a return working, so I'm trying to design a FY that will basically have one or two through lines for the up and down lines (so I can just let trains run of i choose to) and the others dead ends, representing their final destination The idea being that the train will have to come back out and onto the opposite line for the return journey. The problem then is changing ends. The option I could use is to attach another loco onto it for a bit of variety and light engine movements.. 

I'm rambling now, so I'll quit while I'm ahead, my next post will include pictures to give you a bit more of an idea of the latest venture. 

Thanks for looking, especially if you're one of the die hard followers who's witnessed all my previous attempts. 

Scott

Edited by pitbull1845
title change
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

59 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Ladder and Loco Lift, OR Ladder and Head Shunt.

1913860348_IdeaforFiddleYard.png.490f9b55aa22a7af792b4dcdc3a33f13.png

Thanks Andy, I prefer the top option.. I'll have a play tomorrow. 

I look forward to seeing your new project! It's going to have to be portable for the move. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shanks522 said:

Hi Scott.

Looking forward to another incarnation of Bocott, regards the fiddle yards, if you install loops you can simply run round the train and produce the return working?

Graham. 

Hi Graham, 

I did think about loops, but I was trying to get the longest sidings and try not to spend a fortune on points. I'm still looking at all ideas so when I return to the garage tomorrow I'll assess the space. 

Edited by pitbull1845

2 minutes ago, pitbull1845 said:

Thanks Andy, I prefer the top option.. I'll have a play tomorrow. 

I look forward to seeing your new project! It's going to have to be portable for the move. 

Top option is certainly the easiest mate.

My new Layout will only be about 6ft x 1ft, so very portable, and I'll start a thread soon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Or the Peco loco lift, simpler than a traverser and the stock can be pushed back into the vacated space giving you another foot of siding at all times. One possibility is two sets of dead end sidings, one for each direction, with through lines between them?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, pitbull1845 said:

Hi, Yes it's me again with another idea. I wasn't going to bother starting a new thread, but it was suggested that even if it doesn't get finished (like all the others) people may get some ideas and tips..

So here it is:

The build is as useful as the finished article to be honest, if you'd stuck to one thing we'd not have seen Bocott Steel! Keep on rolling on the ideas :) 

• Agree 2

Afternoon, 

Thanks to everyone for the ideas on the FY.. I haven't managed to get to that side of the layout yet as I've been busy wiring up the main side. All seems to be going ok, although I've modified my points for the more reliability, but don't have any point motors yet, so can't switch the polarity of the frog at the moment so the trains just stop when they reach it. 

Hopefully next pay day I'll get some. 

I've taken sone pictures, so hopefully you'll get a rough idea of how it will work. 

The off scene station is to the right of the layout as you view it (last photo).

The top two lines are the down lines, the idea being that the top one will be used for holding freight traffic or slower traffic on the approach tonthe station. 

2nd line has the crossover leading to the inside track which gives access to the network rail siding and also off scene to the yard/docks. it also leads to the station bay platform and is used by local services. 

The concrete siding above the network rail yard will be for stabling units in between duties or locos that have come from the yard/dock and awaiting their next duty. 

I'm not sure how I'm going to disguise the two entrance/exits for the scenic part. I'd like to have a town scene to the left side and not sure about the right, obviously a bridge is an option but I'd like to explore other options. All ideas are appreciated. 

I'll post some ground level photos later, but as you can see it's all a bit sparse at the moment. 

Thanks for looking. 

Scott 

20191017_132616_resized.jpg.66f08c1981798dce9219817da474624b.jpg20191017_132625_resized.jpg.0022a1e172710e45fe0b1de1fa8f33b4.jpg20191017_132634_resized.jpg.3904733a5613e8dfa8352bfc786f790c.jpg

• Like 5

Proper job Boy, now have you thought about some Gaugemaster DCC80 Autofrogs, they can go in now, just 3 wires, one to the frog, and one to each Rail, the Points can continue to be worked manually or with a Motor, as the Autofrog will do the Frog Polarity for you, so one less thing to wire and worry about later.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/212713/gaugemaster_bpdcc80_pack_of_three_dcc_autofrog_polarity_reversal_switches_for_electrofrog_points/stockdetail.aspx

dcc80.jpg.90dda39327cecdb21cb152eac988a1cf.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 minutes ago, pitbull1845 said:

I haven't seen those before Andy, but I'm not sure if the same amount of Seep PM1 motors would be a similar price? 

I'll call on he help of "the gang" when it comes to fitting them. 

You can use any Motor or your finger to work the Point Scott, the Two Wires to the Rails can go to either terminal on the DCC80, the only one that is set is the Frog wire. I now have them with my Slow Motion Traintronics TT300 that are on Seven Mills as the Motor kept letting me down on polarity switching so took the wires off the Motor and fitted these. I've also used them with Peco Solenoid Motors, both normal and the above base board ones, and I've never had any issues with them, (touch wood). And for about a FIVER each from Hattons, and a good Guarantee from Gaugemaster you cant go wrong.

I've had quite a few SEEP failures on Frog Switching as well mate.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Hi Scott, I think i have said this before but I like the look of this one. And hey if it doesn't work for you at least you have had fun building it, each of your layouts are better than the last so it's not all a waste of time. 

Good luck with this one, I will be following.

Cheers Peter.

On 18/10/2019 at 00:13, Andrew P said:

Proper job Boy, now have you thought about some Gaugemaster DCC80 Autofrogs, they can go in now, just 3 wires, one to the frog, and one to each Rail, the Points can continue to be worked manually or with a Motor, as the Autofrog will do the Frog Polarity for you, so one less thing to wire and worry about later.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/212713/gaugemaster_bpdcc80_pack_of_three_dcc_autofrog_polarity_reversal_switches_for_electrofrog_points/stockdetail.aspx

dcc80.jpg.90dda39327cecdb21cb152eac988a1cf.jpg

Hi Andy, This is a new one on me. Does this need to be attached to the point motor. like the Peco things that seem to let me down all the time. Or do you just wire it in searately. I could use some if thats the case.

I haven't forgotten about the trackplan  I need to draw one up as i can't find the old one.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, P.C.M said:

Hi Andy, This is a new one on me. Does this need to be attached to the point motor. like the Peco things that seem to let me down all the time. Or do you just wire it in searately. I could use some if thats the case.

I haven't forgotten about the trackplan  I need to draw one up as i can't find the old one.

Cheers Peter.

Totally separate from the Point Motor Peter, they can go in / on the control panel, along the edge of the baseboard or under the board near a point. The thing you need to remember is that the point MUST be MODIFIED to enable the Frog to be dead.

The DCC80 has 3 solder terminals, two are marked ''R'' = Rails / Bus Bar / controller track feed etc, and can go any way around, it matters not. The third terminal is marked F, = Frog and that as it says, goes to the frog.

DO NOT BE CONFUSED by wiring it up and switching the point to find that the polarity HAS NOT CHANGED. It will change as a Loco passes over it, all as if by Magic and with no flickering of lights or sound.

A truly amazing gizmo IMHO, and far better than relying on the un reliable switch that fits on the Peco Motors or the Seep one that sometimes works or not depending on the day of the Month and the position of the Moon.

On Seven Mills Sidings, I have de wired all my Frogs from the Traintronic TT300 DCC Point Motors and connected the wires to DCC80's,

Arriving today will be some more, to be fitted on my new small Layout Cadley Hill, and I will be using them on any future Layouts that are DCC operated.

All the best.

Andy.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1