Eastbury Yard (a modern era yard somewhere in the South West)

pitbull1845

• RMweb Gold

I’d run a cable down the join then across to the middle of the door and pop a light or camera there. 
The skylights could be recessed as long as they have a drain in the bottom so assuming they have a pipe along a girder inside just a small pipe out under the eaves into a downpipe or gutter? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

I’d run a cable down the join then across to the middle of the door and pop a light or camera there. 
The skylights could be recessed as long as they have a drain in the bottom so assuming they have a pipe along a girder inside just a small pipe out under the eaves into a downpipe or gutter? 

Thats a good idea with the cable Paul, the only issue with that, and what I forgot to say,  is that a sign is going across the front, so part of the gap will be covered. Which will obviously help to cover part of it.

As for the skylights, I thought exactly the same about the drain and pipes but didn't know if that was a thing or not, it sounds like the perfect solution though!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just mount the sign on a couple of strips so it stands clear of the cable and it appears from underneath it. 
Even if a skylight stands proud it still needs the top edge sealing and one place I used to work had drains off where the roof fire shutters allowed some to collect. It wasn’t as deep but the principle is the same and they don’t catch more water being deeper ;) Only issue with them was when you did a test and seagulls or pigeons standing on top were dropped into the warehouse! 

• Thanks 1

Looking good,

roof wise - is that whole thing smooth MDF ? 
if so I’d be tempted to put thin clear acetate over the holes and then  apply corrugated plasticard to the whole roof, over that solving the issue and making the roof more realistic in one go .

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, pitbull1845 said:

also unsure about what to do behind the mainline.

Cruise ship flat with a chain link fence and row of cars suggesting one of the big docks import car compounds?

Backs of an industrial estate big cinemas etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Looking good,

roof wise - is that whole thing smooth MDF ? 
if so I’d be tempted to put thin clear acetate over the holes and then  apply corrugated plasticard to the whole roof, over that solving the issue and making the roof more realistic in one go .

Thanks Rob 

The roof was smooth MDF before I covered it in corrugated sheeting. So I shoukdve done it then really.

I could look at a retro fit, but at the same time I'm thinking I'll go with the easy option and use Paul's reasoning. 

I'll have a ponder. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Cruise ship flat with a chain link fence and row of cars suggesting one of the big docks import car compounds?

Backs of an industrial estate big cinemas etc. 

The cars thing did cross my mind, but it would dleave a lot of backscene exposed. So a low relief something would need to go in to, thats the inland area so no cruise ships allowed.. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, pitbull1845 said:

The cars thing did cross my mind, but it would leave a lot of backscene exposed.

Fill up the lower part with a photo of a large storage car park and paste that behind the front row and a couple of doubled up portacabin offices? 
You could have large wind turbine parts too, Large 1” tube on blocks and other big sheeted blocks suggesting other large shipments in storage.

An old coach or two covered in a tarp made from tissue to look like freshly imported trains . . ;) 

• Like 1

Evening, 

I've had a break from thinking about the backscene and moved onto the bridge that will hide the scenic break. 

As usual I have no cash for the trains, so Im trying to do it as cheaply as possible but to a standard I'm happy with.  Easier said than done, but Im giving it a go.

So I started out with some off cuts

20200714_184437.jpg.9cd5c071598af4db03914b7fc8187cc4.jpg

I then added some foam corrugated sheets from Hobbycraft.

20200714_184422.jpg.094dcf16b6f2781192c8386728f36c29.jpg

and then sprayed it with textured "stone" plastikote.

20200714_183102.jpg.02ba5aa263ea192664daf409a70ea3f9.jpg

For the walls I used some plastic angle from B&Q and sprayed them too.

I just need to sort out the pavement, road surface and streetlights.

Its not amazing, but it seems to have come out ok. Once the rest of the scenery is bedded in around it, I think it will be just fine.

Thanks for looking.  

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 14/07/2020 at 20:38, Rich Papper said:

I wouldn't have spotted that as a cheap job Scott, the concrete effect looks great.

Rich

On 15/07/2020 at 10:08, Swifty11 said:

Looks very effective

Thanks guys, I can't take the credit for the idea, saw something similar on a youtube layout who's name escapes me at the moment. Not the same paint, but similar.. The foam corrugated sheets were my idea though ;) Only a £1 a sheet.

On 14/07/2020 at 19:21, pitbull1845 said:

Evening, 

I've had a break from thinking about the backscene and moved onto the bridge that will hide the scenic break. 

As usual I have no cash for the trains, so Im trying to do it as cheaply as possible but to a standard I'm happy with.  Easier said than done, but Im giving it a go.

So I started out with some off cuts

20200714_184437.jpg.9cd5c071598af4db03914b7fc8187cc4.jpg

I then added some foam corrugated sheets from Hobbycraft.

20200714_184422.jpg.094dcf16b6f2781192c8386728f36c29.jpg

and then sprayed it with textured "stone" plastikote.

20200714_183102.jpg.02ba5aa263ea192664daf409a70ea3f9.jpg

For the walls I used some plastic angle from B&Q and sprayed them too.

I just need to sort out the pavement, road surface and streetlights.

Its not amazing, but it seems to have come out ok. Once the rest of the scenery is bedded in around it, I think it will be just fine.

Thanks for looking.  

The bridge is looking good Scott, this part of the layout is coming on nicely. The scene does have a hint of the overbridge at Maritime (modern bridge over multiple lines), but this is a good thing as it’s not to far for you to get inspiration. 

• Agree 1

Evening, 

I've been toying with the idea of changing a few things on the layout. I know, I was surprised too. :D

BUT I've been good and decided to concentrate my efforts on the depot area and get that done as best I can. Well that's the plan.

There should be a few new arrivals soon, which will add a splash of colour to the depot, I've also purchased a set of wagons, that I have no reason to run on my layout, so I'll bo coming up with a cunning plan, but it does mean I need to introduce another freight TOC. Which may well be timed quite nicely with the hopefully imminent arrival of a newly released pair of blue locos.. Anyway, thats just a pipe dream at the moment.

I just thought I'd leave you with a few pictures from various parts of the layout, apologies if you follow me on twitter as I've already posted them on there.

66731 is stabled up for the night in the loco siding,  just off the dock branch run round.  Engineers are scheduled to take a look at the subsidence on that retaining wall! 

20200722_203249.jpg.6b8e2ca7df884c4fb6e59a6f9b5cc432.jpg

colas owned 37421 failed earlier at the docks and managed to limp to safety at the Freightliner depot, the fitter has just turned up.

20200722_203437.jpg.dc33b5c9222de5f757f365590a06ae26.jpg

A busy moment at Bocott station, the GWR 158 is due to leave, its journey will take it through Oak Road and Wyvern Road.

The 150 which is on loan to GWR terminates here and will be ECS to the depot.

20200722_203454.jpg.173d4d8a4e67435208fbe257cd651718.jpg 

Finally, the 150 arrives at the depot and is awaiting parts, which may have just arrived. 

20200722_203513.jpg.4c40707f9282d77d326077dc11a97f1e.jpg

That's it for now, thanks for looking. Next post will no doubt be show boating the new arrivals..

• Like 14

Hello from a miserable wet south coast...

Well I was the owner of the Hattons 66623, for about an hour, but its returned light engine. The colour just wasn't right, plus a couple of minor issues like loose axle box and the access ladder half way along the body seemed at an angle to me. I had Hattons fit the DCC chip too as I had heard how fragile the locos are, ran fine at slow speed, but once the speed was increased it stopped and started on its own accord.

Another order arrived today too, which are the wagons mentioned in my previous post. What lovely little wagons!

pfa.jpg.e46fdf82f0536ba6e5bc253ba754e6f2.jpg I always wanted an excuse to have a 68, but a pair of the new Bachmann 20/3's would be rather nice, with sound of course!

I'm expecting another 66 to turn up later today, someone got it for me as a gift, so i really hope it hasn't gone any of the same issues as 623.

Edited by pitbull1845
Spelling
  • Like 9

With the disappointment of the Heljan 66's, the orange one being too light and the pink one derailing and wobbling,  I've been thinking about other traction for the layout. Now that I have the PFA's I'm seriously considering a Dapol 68. I've looked at the Dapol 68 thread and there's 93 pages of info on there, so was wondering from those that own one, in summary are they a decent model and are there any known faults?

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, pitbull1845 said:

are they a decent model and are there any known faults?

Superb once they sorted out the livery. If you want to borrow one for assessment I have DRS Avenger ;)