Eastbury Yard (a modern era yard somewhere in the South West)

pitbull1845

On 03/04/2020 at 20:50, pitbull1845 said:

Slight update, I've extended the layout so I will now be able tonhave thr option of operating as a roundy roundy. No idea about what to do on the back wall now. I'll have about 20 ft to play with, Ideally I'd like to include the FY and a scenic section in it. I'm also thinking about having a scenic staging yard like the US modeller's do. Ive considered it before but never did it.. 

Tine for some doodling I guess

Yes I can see images of the Yard north of Eastleigh Station, on a busy day sorting out Engineering Stock for the weekend.:good:

A little something for the weekend Sir?:nono:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Yes I can see images of the Yard north of Eastleigh Station, on a busy day sorting out Engineering Stock for the weekend.:good:

A little something for the weekend Sir?:nono:

It would look good, but I was over Hamworthy station this morning amd thought that might be a simpler option. It would fit on one part and the FY on the other bit. So many ideas! 

• Like 2

On 03/04/2020 at 21:32, pitbull1845 said:

I'd still like a few hidden sidings too, but its definitely worth looking into. 

Scott,

I like this idea. You could use something similar to my embankment scene on the old loft layout. It was a 18" board but only 8" scenic with the deep embankment providing depth to the scene. Backscene hides a load of staging roads

Coming along nicely!

• Like 1

Hi, 

After the arrival of 66065 last week, I decided to try out the Hornby TTS sound chip with a Road&Rails speaker. 

Youtube clip 66065

The fitting went fine and the sound is ok, but to me the pneumatic brake release just sounds really loud before it moves off. Im no expert with the sounds but I'm finding it a bit annoying. 

When I can afford it I'll be changing to Biffo chips! 

I've also discovered that it has a habit of derailing on points; seems to be the non driver end. So I'm falling out of love with this loco already! 

A frustrating day today so I've left the garage, no doors were harmed in the slamming.. 

20200407_150434_030.jpg.36b4c431ffb2061d6b90d0cd486b7f1d.jpg

Edited by pitbull1845
youtube added
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Mike must have sprinkled his 66 magic on it!! I’m sure he says it’s the middle axle being high or something. 
See if the bogie rocks on that axle or something is catching stopping the swing? I do wonder if it’s an assembly or part tolerance fault as I’ve had 5 and all behaved on my layout and my Dads roundy with code 75, and that’s a right roller coaster!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hampshire Hog said:

That sounds a good idea, I have 1 or 2 Tinsley ones you could borrow,

Cheers Kevin

I think you have enough to model Tinsley shed on a Sunday!

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Funny 2

Don't get too frustrated mate. My lifting hatch is beginning to show signs of shift even though I rarely lift it up, spent ages the last couple of days putting stuff back on the track after it has fallen off for no apparent reason.

Even had a couple of Bachmann Mk2's jump off going through the station which has never happened before.

I blame China - if it wasn't for them we'd all still be in the pub instead of locked away in garages, lofts & sheds !!

Cheers,

Stu

• Funny 3

I have a Bachmann 66 with a slight wobble - I think the problem is same as with my 47, the collars for axles just slot into holes in plastic bogie frames, make sure they are seated in correctly.

also IIRC, there was issues with the bogie screw being too tight stopping rotation - loosening it off a bit may help 

Edited by rob D2
Predictive text by forest gump
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I have a Bachmann 66 with a slight wobble - I think the problem is same as with my 47, the collars for axles just slot into holes in plastic bogie frames, make sure they are seated in correctly.

also IIRC, there was issues with the bogie screw being too tight stopping rotation - loosening it off a bit may help 

Thanks I'll have a look tomorrow, hopefully its something that simple, I keep meaning to get a back to back gauge too..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SparxD428 said:

Don't get too frustrated mate. My lifting hatch is beginning to show signs of shift even though I rarely lift it up, spent ages the last couple of days putting stuff back on the track after it has fallen off for no apparent reason.

Even had a couple of Bachmann Mk2's jump off going through the station which has never happened before.

I blame China - if it wasn't for them we'd all still be in the pub instead of locked away in garages, lofts & sheds !!

Cheers,

Stu

I hate my lift out sections, they are the root of all evil.. You have made good progress on your layout though so its not all bad.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, pitbull1845 said:

Hi, 

After the arrival of 66065 last week, I decided to try out the Hornby TTS sound chip with a Road&Rails speaker. 

Youtube clip 66065

The fitting went fine and the sound is ok, but to me the pneumatic brake release just sounds really loud before it moves off. Im no expert with the sounds but I'm finding it a bit annoying. 

I've also discovered that it has a habit of derailing on points; seems to be the non driver end. So I'm falling out of love with this loco already! 

A frustrating day today so I've left the garage, no doors were harmed in the slamming.. 

Hi Scott.

Long time no catchup.

Bachy 66s can be quite variable in their faults. (A bit like the Hattons 66, but that's another "War and Peace" thread altogether)

Place the loco on a flat surface and rotate the bogie to see if it turns freely. Repeat with slight vertical angles of the bogie.

Common cause is the NEM socket dragging on the back of the full depth deflector plate. Fix is to remove about 1mm from the socket - not a problem if you do not use tension locks.

Also early versions did not have enough front-back yaw. The fix with them was to remove the bogie and add a 0.5mm or so thick washer to pack the chassis up slightly. 

Keep calm and carry on modelling.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Hi Scott.

Long time no catchup.

Bachy 66s can be quite variable in their faults. (A bit like the Hattons 66, but that's another "War and Peace" thread altogether)

Place the loco on a flat surface and rotate the bogie to see if it turns freely. Repeat with slight vertical angles of the bogie.

Common cause is the NEM socket dragging on the back of the full depth deflector plate. Fix is to remove about 1mm from the socket - not a problem if you do not use tension locks.

Also early versions did not have enough front-back yaw. The fix with them was to remove the bogie and add a 0.5mm or so thick washer to pack the chassis up slightly. 

Keep calm and carry on modelling.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the advice, looks like I'll have a few things to try tomorrow. I'm hopeful it will be a simple fix.
All is calm now..
Cheers

Scott

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pitbull1845 said:

Hi, 

Youtube clip 66065

Hi Scott

If you look at the TTS paperwork and providing you have a DCC system thats able to read and change CVs you should be able to turn the brake noise down, Most of the TTS chips you can change the volumes of the indivual sounds.

Mark

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Markmiller2008 said:

Hi Scott

If you look at the TTS paperwork and providing you have a DCC system thats able to read and change CVs you should be able to turn the brake noise down, Most of the TTS chips you can change the volumes of the indivual sounds.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I did look at that, and did change the volume for the brake listed on the CV's, but it doesn't seem to relate to the brake release at the start prior to moving. 

I'll have another look when I take a look at the possible bogie fixes. 

Cheers

Scott

Afternoon,

A bit more modelling time today, and trying to sort out the dead zone above the platforms. 

20200410_104553_resized.jpg.fb2a00a3347388b7f3af8a19bf168fcd.jpg

My plan was always to have an Ambulance station there, and luckily the Kingsway kit fits in just nicely.. 

20200410_133627_resized.jpg.572181b6ceaeed91911749a92dbd20ae.jpg

In other news, the DB 66 seems to behaving itself, with no interference from me, so not quite sure whats going on there.. 

and the extension has begun, with the loco run round spur, now becoming a thru line. 

Thats it for now.

Cheers

scott

• Like 12

Afternoon, 

Night shift tonight so managed to get a bit of modelling done this morning, before my afternoon nap!

Mainly work on the Ambulance station. Its not completely finished, I need to work on the detailing now.. 

I've also done a bit more on the housing estate, fixing a couple more

houses to the backscene. 

Not a  lot else at the moment, still undecided on what to do with the "other side"  plans change daily, which is most unlike me. ;)

20200414_134308.jpg.b8b3b99951310c60a469719d3595364f.jpg

• Like 16
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, pitbull1845 said:

Afternoon, 

Night shift tonight so managed to get a bit of modelling done this morning, before my afternoon nap!

Mainly work on the Ambulance station. Its not completely finished, I need to work on the detailing now.. 

I've also done a bit more on the housing estate, fixing a couple more

houses to the backscene. 

Not a  lot else at the moment, still undecided on what to do with the "other side"  plans change daily, which is most unlike me. ;)

20200414_134308.jpg.b8b3b99951310c60a469719d3595364f.jpg

Really like the tarmac surface Scott. Looks great! How did you do it?

Thanks

Rhys

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Evening,

I seem to have hit a brick wall with the modelling. 

Part of my retaining wall has come apart, Im guessing because of the temp change in the garage. Its recoverable but something I could do without.

The other side of the layout has also been giving me grief. I seem to have wasted days pondering about what to do. My issue is I resent having a fiddle yard double the size of the scenic part, it just seems such a waste to  me. So ive been looking at various options. Im still not sure what to do and its frustrating the hell out of me. 

My current thought is not to even bother having a FY. At the end of the day, its only me that operates the layout (with occasional visitors) so I should just do what I want. As we know, life's too short..  

Im sure tomorrow things will change again, but I thought I'd just 

share my sunday night thoughts as my children don't listen! :D

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Certainly no point doing stuff to please others ;) 

I got fed up with fiddleyards too so I’ve largely done away with them going for multiple stations even if it’s just a representation of rather than as detailed as the main scene. I just prefer the train going somewhere even if it requires an extra bit of imagination to complete. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pitbull1845 said:

Evening,

I seem to have hit a brick wall with the modelling. 

Part of my retaining wall has come apart, Im guessing because of the temp change in the garage. Its recoverable but something I could do without.

The other side of the layout has also been giving me grief. I seem to have wasted days pondering about what to do. My issue is I resent having a fiddle yard double the size of the scenic part, it just seems such a waste to  me. So ive been looking at various options. Im still not sure what to do and its frustrating the hell out of me. 

My current thought is not to even bother having a FY. At the end of the day, its only me that operates the layout (with occasional visitors) so I should just do what I want. As we know, life's too short..  

Im sure tomorrow things will change again, but I thought I'd just 

share my sunday night thoughts as my children don't listen! :D

Best to walk away for a bit. I won’t make changes until I’ve slept on it for at least one night.

this incarcerations means I have TOO much modelling time now and I am getting a bit bored with it . So I swap between research / layout/ rolling stock / eras to try and keep it fresh 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Certainly no point doing stuff to please others ;) 

I got fed up with fiddleyards too so I’ve largely done away with them going for multiple stations even if it’s just a representation of rather than as detailed as the main scene. I just prefer the train going somewhere even if it requires an extra bit of imagination to complete. 

I'm the same, I like having a purpose for the layout.. I'll look into the multi station option with freight too of course.. 

• Like 3