Eastbury Yard (a modern era yard somewhere in the South West)

pitbull1845

51 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Or I'll see what you have, inc the DCC80's and buy them off you, if that helps. Really feel guilty that you can't sort them Scott. I've fitted 7 today, and will be connecting the wires next week to test them.

No need to feel guilty Andy. I'm either a complete electrical dullard or my system isn't powerful enough. I suspect it's the first one! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Tempfix

Hi Scott.

just found this and liking the plan. Don't feel bad about the electrics, now we know Rod Stewart doesn't do his own either, we all have areas of strength and total bafflement. So all you really need to do is have a 40 something year multi-million pound music career, some ill-fitting trousers and a string of young wives and someone will come and do it for you!

I'm the same on wiring. I can connect everything as per the instructions, but if it doesn't work I don't have any idea why. I have a DMU sat on the shelf that I've never managed to get moving. I've blown 4 decoders in 10 years of being DCC and all in this same train. I've stripped it and rebuilt it twice, still no idea. Would happily throw it at the wall some days. I'm lucky to have a brother in law who's an electrical engineer. His best advice to me: electricity's really useful, just try not to get any on you.

Good luck, don't panic, have a cup of tea and come back to it.

Rich

• Funny 4

After sulking about the points, I decided to take action. (Thanks to Rich's morale boost)

The points have been unmodified and are now working perfectly. So my mojo is returning slightly. 

And I now have 6 dcc080's for sale!

its been a stressful time of late but the end is now in sight and as a treat to myself I'm thinking of buying myself  a loco. (had to sell most of my stock and only have a couple of 08's)

I like the idea of a Hattons 66, but I also want a Colas 37. So the jury is still out. I'm also considering heading to warley on Saturday. But will be a long day as I'm on Nights that night. 

Decisions Decisions 

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Evening,
Well I went to Warley, it was nice to catch up with Paul Rhb, Temeraire and Scoobyra but was a bit underwhelmed by the layouts. Don't get me wrong, there were some nice models but not my interest, not a lot of current scene stuff. I think the best in show for me (apart from PaulRhb's  ) was "A remote yard"   I loved it, I could certainly kill a few hours loading wagons with an RC front loader.  

I did buy a few things, some cable trunking from "Ten Commandments" and two Bachmann Colas 37's, in the hope it will spur me on to get cracking on the layout. Hopefully I can now start to get back into it now my point issue has been resolved and more importantly my personal situation has finally had closure and I am now able to move on.

On that note, If I can just put on my sensible head for a moment.. The last 3 years of my life have been the hardest ever, and I've been in some very dark places during that time. What I have learnt is that its ok not to be ok and that talking to people does really help. If you're having a tough time, reach out. This hobby and the friends I've met through it have literally been a lifesaver at times, you know who you are and I thank you..  Please don't suffer in silence..

Now back to modelling and I hope to show some progress very soon..

Cheers
Scott

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

55 minutes ago, pitbull1845 said:

On that note, If I can just put on my sensible head for a moment.. The last 3 years of my life have been the hardest ever, and I've been in some very dark places during that time. What I have learnt is that its ok not to be ok and that talking to people does really help. If you're having a tough time, reach out. This hobby and the friends I've met through it have literally been a lifesaver at times, you know who you are and I thank you..  Please don't suffer in silence..

Scott,

Sorry to hear of your troubles over the past few years. Your original Bocott (the 6-foot plank) was a big inspiration for me and I always enjoy looking at your work and marvelling at the speed you do things. I'm glad this forum and the people on it have been of use to you in the darkest moments.

Onwards and upwards! And looking forward to seeing the Colas beauties!

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Scott, Glad to hear your on the UP. Great people on here, and locally to you as well I think. I wish places like RMW Etc were around in 1979, haha.

Back on Track with the Colas 37, :good: they do look the bizzzzz, as do the 70's, but I must resist, suddenly all my 90's Railfreight is going to make room for EWS Sheds. haha.

It will be good to see some pics of the new stock in the coming days.

Keep posting mate, and glad your points are now sorted, although not as you wanted.

• Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Scott, Glad to hear your on the UP. Great people on here, and locally to you as well I think. I wish places like RMW Etc were around in 1979, haha.

Back on Track with the Colas 37, :good: they do look the bizzzzz, as do the 70's, but I must resist, suddenly all my 90's Railfreight is going to make room for EWS Sheds. haha.

It will be good to see some pics of the new stock in the coming days.

Keep posting mate, and glad your points are now sorted, although not as you wanted.

Thanks Andy, 

I've just found your latest layout. It's looking good already.  great era.. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, 1722 said:

Scott,

Sorry to hear of your troubles over the past few years. Your original Bocott (the 6-foot plank) was a big inspiration for me and I always enjoy looking at your work and marvelling at the speed you do things. I'm glad this forum and the people on it have been of use to you in the darkest moments.

Onwards and upwards! And looking forward to seeing the Colas beauties!

Thanks, 

Sometimes I wish I still had the plank. It was so much simpler then! 

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon, 

Just a quick update on thr layouts progress.

Ive been doing some ballasting and also wired a couple of points up to.my Lenz LS150. 

I made the mistake of getting the light coloured ballast, so Im committed to that now. I'll just have to weather it at a later date. 

Rolling stock update:

An Arriva 150 (old livery) has arrived and a GBRf 66 is due to arrive very soon. 

An unexpected edition arrived this afternoon after popping into my local model shop Model Railway Solutions in Poole. The plan was to buy some more ballast and a couple of decoders.  I got those and I also picked up a sound fitted 158 in FGW livery. A little treat for myself after the  few years of stress..

The rear of the test train can be seen disappearing under the bridge towards the station, whilst the 158 is heading in the opposite direction, slightly ahead of the 150 which is destined for the dmu siding.

20191219_144530.jpg.48c0fd7c58d18319eface3c347a54965.jpg

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1

On ‎21‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 09:09, P.C.M said:

Hi Scott, Layout is coming along well and nice to see some new stock. Glad to hear things are getting better on the personal side of things too.

All the best Cheers Peter.

Hi peter, thanks for your comments, I'm making progress slowly but its in the right direction.
Have a good Christmas..
Scott

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, my first post of 2020,

Things have been progressing slowly, mainly with ballasting, and a few little scenic bits. 

I have added a platform at one end to represent the start of a station, but Im not sure if it will stay, I'd appreciate your views.

20200122_104218_resized.jpg.8739a02d74e89e22db8818d88561cb71.jpg

I'm still not sure what to do about the FY, I have several options but I'm spending too much time daydreaming so Im going to leave it for a bit.

I'll just add a few more pictures so you can see how things are coming along. 

20200122_104038_resized.jpg.6a2f596531232c5468b6587402f21cf4.jpg20200122_104048_resized.jpg.a86106efafe82b51244f9f12e794677e.jpgThanks for looking.

Scott

20200122_104631_resized.jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 1