Eastbury Yard (a modern era yard somewhere in the South West)

pitbull1845

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

As usual it’s looking great, nicely composed  :) 

What’s going on the flat area at the front, virtual quarry or . . .

Thanks Paul, 

The jury is out at the moment. Originally it was going to be a NR yard, I did think about a VQ but cant load/unload so wagons would be coming in the same as they left. 

Other options are:

DMU stabling

Loco stabling

General sidings 

The look I want is the that of the 2 behind Poole Railway station. 

Screenshot_20200122-174403.jpg.a88aaa7d78c63fbda442f99b0f22a39d.jpg

Image Copyright Mike Faherty 

• Like 4

General Sidings will give you more scope for Locos, Engineering Trains, DMU's, Charter Specials, General Stabling as at Eastleigh, the list is almost endless, even dare I mention a Kettle on a Special taking on Water.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

General Sidings will give you more scope for Locos, Engineering Trains, DMU's, Charter Specials, General Stabling as at Eastleigh, the list is almost endless, even dare I mention a Kettle on a Special taking on Water.

You're right Andy, but a kettle is pushing it! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Could have one partly as hard standing with a tamper or even a coach being unloaded from one of those Oxford extendable lorries ;) 

Plain sidings give loads of options, you could have drop on gravel bins with the concrete shuttering like mount pleasant at Northam and a grab loader and swap it for various other scenes. P-way gear and rorailers waiting for overnight possession, containers just stacked on edge of an industrial estate like Eastleigh, Dmu stabling point with portakabin crew room etc etc. Maybe swappable drop on bits allows all options as the sidings can be grotty and rough for all. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Tempfix

I agree with Andy - useful just as general sidings. I like the end of platform sticking out from under the bridge too. Scope for a few end of platform scenes - spotters sat on a BRUTE, brush and bucket for loco windows, occasional waiting train etc. Coming along nicely.

Rich

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions guys..

I think the plain run down hardstanding will be the option I go with, and as suggested I can change the scene to suit. 

Andy I'm even going to look for a S.Wales fire engine to cater for the very rare steam visit! 

• Like 2

Good progress with the layout Scott, it’s really coming on nicely. Nice selection of pictures showing where everything is.

I do like your new Bachmann GWR 158. They had one on the test track at the shop at Salisbury, was blown away by the sound and features on the model, even revs up before pulling away (has to be the best unit produced to date).

Keep up the good progress (very envious).

• Like 4

16 hours ago, rob D2 said:

You’ve already got two sidings there, to my mind I’d leave it at that and make an industrial estate so you are forced to look through it to the trains.

But then again I’ve always been a bit peculiar 

I was never going to add more sidings, it was purely what scenario to put on the flat bit adjacent to the sidings already present.  

5 minutes ago, pitbull1845 said:

I was never going to add more sidings, it was purely what scenario to put on the flat bit adjacent to the sidings already present.  

Ah right, I got confuzzled....could try what I’m thinking of ....slide in plasticsrd plates, so I can change the theme at will, like this....

A93EA6E8-2593-4A99-9DCE-545E0DC2ADE0.jpeg

• Like 2

Its a good idea, would be quite nice just making various scenes.  Would certainly keep the interest, coming up with various ideas..

I know PaulRhb has suggested I do something similar too, on several occasions.  Maybe now is the time..

• Agree 1

Last night I started on the sidings, by laying foam sheets down. These will be painted in an attempt to create a reasonable looking hard standing. 

The Night track gang  were seen earlier this morning, packing up; ready to head back to their digs.

20200124_102328_resized.jpg.c503d46a16c79a51ea8e8d1e787489a5.jpg

Just as the fitter turned up to check over the 37. 

20200124_102415_resized.jpg.24c5e32b964aa404afb20788fcc4efbc.jpg

No time for the railway this weekend, so work re-commences next week. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

Evening, 

After the wet school run this morning I decided to have a modelling morning. 

I've been daydreaming  about the sidings, and a recent trip over Westbury made me think about a possible  use for a pikestuff building I had. 

20200130_185159_resized.png.8a43dedf0fd1d984f176fb31346c28c4.png

20200130_185500_resized.jpg.a2d6a0fa3c7efa5c9a771e5b9bc3eebf.jpg

I thought it would also add to some interesting movement's and varied wagons..

A bit more ballasting was also done today and a shopping list started..

Not a lot else to report at the moment. 

Cheers

Scott

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Looks brilliant!

How did you 'weather' or 'stain' the concrete  to make the yard look realistic?

What did you use, and how did you do it?

I have a plain grey concrete look and want to make it look more realistic?

Screenshot_20200130-221223_Chrome.jpg

20 hours ago, Rob. said:

Looks brilliant!

How did you 'weather' or 'stain' the concrete  to make the yard look realistic?

What did you use, and how did you do it?

I have a plain grey concrete look and want to make it look more realistic?

Screenshot_20200130-221223_Chrome.jpg

The secret is in studying the real thing. ^_^

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

Hi, 

Just a little update on progress..

Ive completed some more ballasting and laid a whole load of cable trunking.  

Ive also put in some drains, and have been trying out some of the scale model scenery yellow station lines and "Mind the gap" stickers.

So it is progress, just not very exciting progress.

Screenshot_20200205-131318.png.94ccce009534b88268b272a9fac30ea5.png

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

Hi.  

Just a quick update.. You'll never guess what but ideas have changed again, although not by too much. 

The plan was to have a roundy roundy, but I've decided to change it to an end to end to suit my operational interests, rather than watching trains go by. 

So the station is now a terminus, with most of it off scene. At the moment it will just be Served by DMU's, however additional services are looking possible, provided by a 37 and Mk2's.

20200318_190030.jpg.e9bf484eeabef55c5ce7f3bb24b0ba02.jpg

The line with the 66 is now the release for a run round loop.        The idea being that freight services arrive and run round to then take the branch to the dock/Industrial area. 

Ive also started on a bit of the scenics and track weathering, with the plan to work from right to left, to eventually complete the rest of the layout. 

Apologies for showing the same bit, but thats the only bit with progress so far. 

Thanks for looking.. 

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Like 14

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 11:14, pitbull1845 said:

Hi.  

Just a quick update.. You'll never guess what but ideas have changed again, although not by too much. 

The plan was to have a roundy roundy, but I've decided to change it to an end to end to suit my operational interests, rather than watching trains go by. 

So the station is now a terminus, with most of it off scene. At the moment it will just be Served by DMU's, however additional services are looking possible, provided by a 37 and Mk2's.

20200318_190030.jpg.e9bf484eeabef55c5ce7f3bb24b0ba02.jpg

The line with the 66 is now the release for a run round loop.        The idea being that freight services arrive and run round to then take the branch to the dock/Industrial area. 

Ive also started on a bit of the scenics and track weathering, with the plan to work from right to left, to eventually complete the rest of the layout. 

Apologies for showing the same bit, but thats the only bit with progress so far. 

Thanks for looking.. 

Great work as always Scott

cheers neil..

• Thanks 1

I thought I'd add a very child like plan of the layout to give a better idea of what im trying to achieve. 

The bottom part is already laid, the top board hasnt been started and can and probably will change at a moments notice! 

Basically the freight arrives in the purple line and runs round. It then travels to the dock/steel area, by running back along the lower red line as far as the crossover and then onto the blue line. 

On its return it arrives on the blue line by the dmu sidings and then runs round. When it leaves it goes via the blue and then crosses onto the red line prior to the lift out section.  

A DMU shuttle will also operate to the docks, probably a 153.

Hope this makes sense and clarifies a few things. Happy to hear any other suggestions or ideas  

Thanks for looking

Scott

BocottPlan.jpg.3a673d8fdb3655da9efe204fedc0aa02.jpg

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, pitbull1845 said:

I thought I'd add a very child like plan of the layout to give a better idea of what im trying to achieve. 

The bottom part is already laid, the top board hasnt been started and can and probably will change at a moments notice! 

Basically the freight arrives in the purple line and runs round. It then travels to the dock/steel area, by running back along the lower red line as far as the crossover and then onto the blue line. 

On its return it arrives on the blue line by thr dmu sidings and then runs round. When it leaves it goes via the blue and then crosses onto the red line prior to the lift out section.  

A DMU shuttle will also operate to the docks, probably a 153.

Hope this makes sense and clarifies a few things. Happy to hear any other suggestions or ideas  

Thanks for looking

Scott

BocottPlan.jpg.3a673d8fdb3655da9efe204fedc0aa02.jpg

Your plans look pretty good to me Scott...

cheers neil..

• Thanks 1