Eastbury Yard (a modern era yard somewhere in the South West)

pitbull1845

2 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Scott, Great to see you back on the job mate, keep the faith, were all behind you to help and encourage if you need it.

If you planning an Eastleigh visit again, let me know as I need some new inspiration as well.

Thanks Andy,

I'll hopefully go to EH in a week or two. Half term next week so no chance then! I'll give you a shout when I do..

Cheers

• Like 2

Afternoon, 

The wet weather today means that the boys can play on their consoles and I can get some time in the garage. 

Todays job was to start the backscene and have a final fiddle around with the track plan. Both of which seemed to go OK. 

I've put the depot on the board just to see how it looks,  It's bigger than I want but it would be a shame to ditch it, so I'm going to try and make it work. 

20201024_153729.jpg.c93707c67d93d070662b1f03a114c53e.jpg

In other news, the driver of the 66 at Diorama Depot had a nice surprise from his girlfriend when she went to pick him up. 

20201024_153811.jpg.b48f2c042889cbabd5a43836680060f0.jpg

(Its a quiet Saturday at the depot so nobody else around other than the duty fitter.)

• Like 6
  • Funny 7

On 24/10/2020 at 21:55, Rhysb said:

I’m like you Scott! Love drawing plans. Getting anything finished.... 

all the best buddy!

Rhys

Cheers Rhys, I think the more room you have the more ideas you get! I especially like your latest plan...

• Like 2

Afternoon,

After managing to find some Autoballasters recently at a reasonable price, I thought I'd start the process of removing the Railtrack decals and apply the blue paint today.

I know in the real world they were just painted over, but I just didn't think it looked right in model form. 

I was planning on using Railtec transfers for the light blue strip, and I did try them but just didn't get on with them. So opted for some Tamiya X-14 paint that I had used previously.  

20201101_145515.jpg.76d610fb0767483ee04af251cb087f86.jpg20201101_145531.jpg.5e0e16329a4a3c5c5e24283097b375d7.jpg

I've removed the decals from all 5 wagons,  and painted the blue on one side only on them. Once that dries I'll do the other side. 

Then it will be weathering time, something I'm not very good at, so that should be fun! 

No doubt I'll post pictures on here, good or bad! 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

Well I'm making progress, all wagons now have the blue stripe on both sides.

The weathering has now started, I'm using weathering powders for this set. I don't own an airbrush and I wanted to try something different from the black/brown wash I've used before on models. 

I will need to seal it, so I'm also researching that to see whats best. 

As well as this rake of wagons, I'm also having a go at another project.  Although that's not quite going to plan, I'm not sure if I've got the right tone grey on it. So no pictures I'm afraid! 

20201102_122551.jpg.3d4e7cc66bda575dbe85fab9681c14b2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, pitbull1845 said:

I will need to seal it, so I'm also researching that to see whats best. 

I'm sure my 'friend in the know'  will be able to suggest something!;)

Looking good so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Autoballaster looks great Scott, you've captured the streaking, (NO chuckling at the back there) brilliantly.

Have you tried Humbrol Acrylic spray varnish's they come in Matt, Satin or Gloss?

Thanks Andy,

I was looking at the Matt option earlier actually. I plan on visiting a couple of shops tomorrow to see if I can pick a can up.  

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Like 1

Afternoon,

Good news regarding the wagons. All done and just awaiting sealing. 

Luckily I was able to take them and a 37 to Coleborne Junction for a leg stretch (Thanks Nick)

Normally its a layout firmly set in the steam era but today it was a heritage line! 

20201103_160406.jpg.7003616f4d92b3ea3084bc97b00d9cd6.jpg

37421 arrived at the seaside town of Wimhill to collect a couple of locos used in a recent diesel gala. 

20201103_160328.jpg.f433ac5a6fd0c01993a0f7619bdc3daf.jpg

Convoy all coupled up and ready for the off. 

20201103_160343.jpg.ae318b55bb7beb293c8f8be61408a13d.jpg

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

STAY AWAY FROM THE HUMBROL ;-) Seriously though I wouldnt use the humbrol. It can have whiting issues from the solvents and is not good. Not saying every can is like that but its "a known issue" so its Russian roulette with your model!

Weathering powders its best to seal with a Matt Pastel Fixative. PlastiKote Hobby & Craft Matt, Pebeo and Hobbycraft own brand all do one. Look for a pastel fixative rather than a varnish sealer.

Weathering looks great Scott.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, pitbull1845 said:

Thanks Andy, I would be tempted with another set too! 

It would be rude NOT TO, hahaha.:dancer:

But, (here comes the voice of reason) how about something different for more variety for the Yard.:spiteful:

Evening, 

The latest project has now started. It's not something I normally do, and would be happier paying someone to do the work. But thought I'd have a go at painting my faded blue 08 into a shunter that I see at Eastleigh all the time. 

That is 08511, on of 3 RSS shutters that operate in the yard.

This isn't my thing, and its far from perfect, but I'm relatively pleased as to how its coming along.

There has been a lot of input and discussion from  several friends within my RMweb splinter cell, for which I'm grateful. 

Like I say, its not going to be perfect, but if you squint and look at it in a darkened room then it does look like a shunter!

*EDIT - Having just looked at this image on my laptop rather than my phone, its quite cruel! The loco has wet patches on it from decal fix, and the painters had been to the pub at lunch before painting that cantrail!     

20201104_193850.jpg.273a758789f1729975bcbd3ee501ffd1.jpg

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

6 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

It would be rude NOT TO, hahaha.:dancer:

But, (here comes the voice of reason) how about something different for more variety for the Yard.:spiteful:

I quite fancy some of those red lobster wagons. Just need someone to 3D print the ballast box to go on top of the BDA..

• Like 1