Eastbury Yard (a modern era yard somewhere in the South West)

pitbull1845

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, pitbull1845 said:

Evening, 

The latest project has now started. It's not something I normally do, and would be happier paying someone to do the work. But thought I'd have a go at painting my faded blue 08 into a shunter that I see at Eastleigh all the time. 

That is 08511, on of 3 RSS shutters that operate in the yard.

This isn't my thing, and its far from perfect, but I'm relatively pleased as to how its coming along.

There has been a lot of input and discussion from  several friends within my RMweb splinter cell, for which I'm grateful. 

Like I say, its not going to be perfect, but if you squint and look at it in a darkened room then it does look like a shunter!

20201104_193850.jpg.273a758789f1729975bcbd3ee501ffd1.jpg

Looks fine in light too ;)

If that’s the first time you’ve attempted a full repaint you’ve nothing to worry about! :) 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, pitbull1845 said:

I quite fancy some of those red lobster wagons. Just need someone to 3D print the ballast box to go on top of the BDA..

I had the Crabs once, but the Doctor sorted that out.:o:laugh:

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, pitbull1845 said:

Evening, 

The latest project has now started. It's not something I normally do, and would be happier paying someone to do the work. But thought I'd have a go at painting my faded blue 08 into a shunter that I see at Eastleigh all the time. 

This isn't my thing, and its far from perfect, but I'm relatively pleased as to how its coming along.

There has been a lot of input and discussion from  several friends within my RMweb splinter cell, for which I'm grateful. 

Like I say, its not going to be perfect, but if you squint and look at it in a darkened room then it does look like a shunter!

*EDIT - Having just looked at this image on my laptop rather than my phone, its quite cruel! The loco has wet patches on it from decal fix, and the painters had been to the pub at lunch before painting that cantrail!     

I think it looks really good. I went past BS the other day and was pleased to see a RSS 08 shunting rather than the DB66 as has been before the contract changed - what goes around comes around !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, pitbull1845 said:

Evening, 

*EDIT - Having just looked at this image on my laptop rather than my phone, its quite cruel! The loco has wet patches on it from decal fix, and the painters had been to the pub at lunch before painting that cantrail!     

Fantastic job Scott, How do I order my O Gauge one, hahha.:good:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/10/2020 at 15:55, pitbull1845 said:

Afternoon, 

The wet weather today means that the boys can play on their consoles and I can get some time in the garage. 

Todays job was to start the backscene and have a final fiddle around with the track plan. Both of which seemed to go OK. 

I've put the depot on the board just to see how it looks,  It's bigger than I want but it would be a shame to ditch it, so I'm going to try and make it work. 

In other news, the driver of the 66 at Diorama Depot had a nice surprise from his girlfriend when she went to pick him up. 

20201024_153811.jpg.b48f2c042889cbabd5a43836680060f0.jpg

Nice pair of buffers.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, shanks522 said:

The 08 looks really good Scott, as do the autoballasters. 

what’s happening with the layout? Have you changed it much? 

Graham. 

Thanks Graham 

It depends on when you last checked in and what layout you're talking about! :D

I've basically ripped it all up and have started again, although with a lack of code 75 track, its come to a standstill.

I've gone back to modelling a yard with Eastleigh and Westbury as the influence, but not modelling either one..  

I'm still thinking about a little n gauge mainline layout!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening, 

Not much of an update, other than to say that I've been playing about with the track plan and seem to have reached something I'm happy with.

On paper it looks just like a fiddle yard, so nothing exciting but it does the job for me. 

Sidings, shunting and a loco stabling point  is pretty much all I need. (Until I fancy a mainline station!)

I'm limited as to how much I can do at the moment as concrete sleeper code 75 track seems to be in short supply, but it is on order with my local shop "Model Rail Solutions." 

So my attention has turned towards the scenery, which is my Nemesis. I know what I want, but never get it how I want. This has a major factor in why I rip up all my layouts, I get so frustrated with my lack of vision/ability, and the easiest way to deal with it is scrap it.

The scenic break is going to be a bridge, not very original, but I promise I won't put a bus on it. The plan is to get that in place and then work out how I'm going to add embankments and blend it all together.     

The engineers are raring to go, so fingers crossed things will move forward a bit now, my mojo is slowly returning..

20201119_203945.jpg.454d944792d44ca06c023c50f8d93c00.jpg  

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Looks good - scenery can be tricky . I tend to make warehouses etc as I find it easier urban wise than trying to model the countryside .

Its far to easy to compare what you do with some of the stuff in mags , but we all find a level we are happy with .

i try not to rip stuff up, unless it’s going to rankle me later, sometimes I just squint harder and it looks ok !

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 20/11/2020 at 10:56, rob D2 said:

Looks good - scenery can be tricky . I tend to make warehouses etc as I find it easier urban wise than trying to model the countryside .

Cheers Rob, I must admit I'm more of a warehouse person, but its about 16' long and I think that would be too many warehouses. I haven't left a lot of room between the track and backscene so can't do too much scenically..

8 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Scott, I do like busy sidings and Locos on show, it has my juice's flowing, and it's giving me ideas again, but don't rip it up this time. it looks good mate.

Cheers Andy, 

I've just come in from the garage, and I'm still feeling positive about this one, I've just added a stabling point and I think it will look good when its all done. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, pitbull1845 said:

Cheers Andy, 

I've just come in from the garage, and I'm still feeling positive about this one, I've just added a stabling point and I think it will look good when its all done. 

That's a relief.:dancer:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...

Evening, 

It's been a while since an update, and to be honest there isn't much going on in the garage at the moment.

I've been acquiring stock and thanks to Nigel aka  @Melangoose I now have some more track, so I intend to finish off the track laying. Although I'm still trying to finalise the final plan..

A couple of new arrivals this week, one of them being the sound fitted 66419 from Bachmann (xmas present to myself)

20201211_230311.jpg.9a93b70cc6f1c3f8841fe0267fff4763.jpg

The other being some on track plant for the yard. I think once its weathered it will look quite good in the Network Rail depot.  

20201211_230326.jpg.6a15723cd38e810daf9435defa8f1e5b.jpg

I don't think there are any more new arrivals due now..

On the next update I hope to bring you some more news on the main layout. I'm also considering a winter project I can do in the house, potentially a little depot layout.

Until then, happy modelling.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Hi

Been following your progress/regress for a while now & have seen some excellent modelling.....And some great ideas....

Hopefully i'll be able to see a finished project one day.....

Keep up the good work / excellent modelling.....

Out of curiosity who makes the rail mounted 'digger'

Cheers Bill

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, treggyman said:

Hi

Been following your progress/regress for a while now & have seen some excellent modelling.....And some great ideas....

Hopefully i'll be able to see a finished project one day.....

Keep up the good work / excellent modelling.....

Out of curiosity who makes the rail mounted 'digger'

Cheers Bill

Hi Bill, 

Thanks for your comments, I'm hoping I'll see a finished project one day too, its getting frustrating never actually  making it to the finish line.

The model is: 

Caterpillar M323F Railroad Wheeled Excavator

Maker:  Diecast Masters
Model No:  85612
Scale:  1:87

Cheers 

Scott

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• pitbull1845 changed the title to Eastbury Yard (a modern era yard somewhere in the South West)
  • 3 weeks later...

Evening, 

Happy New year and all that jazz!

I've been working all over the festivities, so I haven't had a lot of time for modelling, but I have managed to start work on the Network rail office. Not sure on the final colour yet, as much as I like the Halfords Grey primer, I'm thinking of a weathered white building with doors and windows in another colour. 

20210103_133936.jpg.a354cfcc80088bf5755760840c94d58a.jpg

I've also had the signs made for the building and yard, 

20210103_132842.jpg.c86dbca73cf936faec8d55dbf64d1f25.jpg

I hope to post some pictures of the actual layout progress at some point. One thing I have done is remove the tree backscene. It just wasn't working for me i'll probably resort back to just a painted grey backscene instead. Once I've filled the screw holes.

Thats it for now.

Cheers

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Rhysb said:

Halfords grey primer! And I thought you were a friend :P

Looking forward to seeing the new layout take shape. Is there a final track plan yet?

Its all I had! I'm sorry ;)

As for the track plan, yes its finalised and has been laid today. I'm just waiting for a delivery and then I can wire it all up and make sure it works!

• Like 1

A quickly produced plan! Not up to @PaulRhB standards.

Basically it represents part of a larger yard, think Eastleigh, with the sidings by the station and then the main yard beyond the road bridge. 

It suits my needs, as I'm quite happy shunting wagons and lots of light loco movements. 

The loco stabling/light maintenance area is operated by GBRf, but it goes without saying that other TOC;s can use the facilities (at a cost)

There will be a mixture of engineering stock  and also other freight services that use the yard, whilst they await their onward path. 

Not the most exciting track plan or layout, but I think it will work for me.    

950301707_planrmweb.PNG.7181f1c46da9a9de3b61ead51ff965c7.PNG  

• Like 5