Eastbury Yard (a modern era yard somewhere in the South West)

pitbull1845

Morning.. Just finished my night shift but as its such a beautiful morning I thought I'dgo for a walk before bed. 

Ended up taking a few pictures of the Hamworthy branch for some inspiration for part 2 of the layout.  

Such a shame nothing leaves the docks anymore. 20200322_074814_resized.jpg.28bbe708ec9298998cffe8447be529bc.jpg20200322_074648_resized.jpg.21fc9087c5e82f6cd62ea5b9437f910b.jpg20200322_074822_resized.jpg.df3e92e95f930dc49ee12dae3648cfcf.jpg

Maybe one day it will resume??

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

Always thought something like that would make a good modern freight only branch, with scrap, stone and steel as it was in the 90s and of course the sea....

was coming to Poole for a powerboat course in June, but I doubt that’ll happen due obvious reasons 

• Like 1

PART 1

Hi,

I hope you're all coping with the current situation. I'm still working, but inbetween shifts I've been managing to find time to spend in the garage.
Now I've been wondering what to do with the 2 sidings at the front of the layout for a while now, and yesterday I came up with an idea whilst at work.

Because of the steady stream of freight in and out of the docks at Bocott, I wanted somewhere for the locos to go to, to stable up and /or refuel. I didn't want a depot as such, becasue I'm modelling the modern scene and they are few and far between nowadays. But also i'll be  having various TOC's in and out so would need to accomodate the varying locos. My solution is this:

Arlington Fleet Services has taken over the lease of ther yard and is providing fuelling, stabling and very light maintenance for any company that wishes to use its services.

At my own workplace we have a fuel farm and is topped up by a tanker as and when required. So I thought that this method would be suitable for refuelling locos, so I took a few pictures and this morning I started on the project.

fuel1.jpg.e2a197e4c1cf4256ad36ee932f6afdfd.jpgfuel2.jpg.fcb474f108a6ba9e56031547d1e8b1ae.jpg  

I chose a suitable container from my collection and then hunted through my scrap box for suitable bits and pieces to make my version of the prototype. I should add that I have only used stuff that I already had, and haven't been shopping for items. So it was never going to be an exact copy, just a representation.

fuel3.jpg.b0cee82e939ffc32532b4daf740683fc.jpg 

The logos were rubbed off using T-cut and white spirit, they came off ok but took a while. The end doors were removed, to be replaced with a rollerdoor, and was to be modelled open.

Next was to sort out the bits and then start adding to the container.

• Like 11

PART 2

Once all the bits were stuck in place, it was sprayed with cheap poundland white gloss automative paint, it's all I had!

It took a couple of goes but I was reasonably happy with the finished result, at least it hid the poor workmanship.

As its such a nice day today it didnt take long to dry, so was able to move onto the next stage.

fuel4.jpg.7f2616566487cc27991c09ad172c0212.jpgfuel5.jpg.ecffa61607908a111142451947b9637c.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

That looks good Scott , and much more representative of modern times than chucking 60s Bachmann TMD buildings down as is often the vogue .

with Arlington running it any colour loco can come and go.... Just don’t stick JetA1 in your shed !

my airline is grounded so I have time to model a lot , hopefully they’ll be a job left in June, July , august... ;(

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

That looks good Scott , and much more representative of modern times than chucking 60s Bachmann TMD buildings down as is often the vogue .

with Arlington running it any colour loco can come and go.... Just don’t stick JetA1 in your shed !

my airline is grounded so I have time to model a lot , hopefully they’ll be a job left in June, July , august... ;(

Cheers Rob,
I'm pleased with it, and yes anything goes, even the gwr 158 can pop in, and yes, I wont mix the fuel orders up!

Fingers crossed on the job front, its like a BA graveyard at EGHH..

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Thanks 1

Late to the Party as always, great work Scott, keep the pics coming mate.

BTW, I was on Flight Tracker last night, and wondered why so many Easy Jet Planes were in the Sky with no departure or destination info available, we know why now this morning.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pitbull1845 said:

PART 2

Once all the bits were stuck in place, it was sprayed with cheap poundland white gloss automative paint, it's all I had!

It took a couple of goes but I was reasonably happy with the finished result, at least it hid the poor workmanship.

As its such a nice day today it didnt take long to dry, so was able to move onto the next stage.

And I thought you were a friend :-) 

• Funny 4

Afternoon, 

With the on going restrictions it was decided to trial run bringing fuel in for the fuel farm by rail, rather than the usual road tanker. 

66065 is seen arriving, and crosses over to platform 1.

20200402_133010_resized.jpg.8bab3570b555a265432f457e8367dbbd.jpg

Once clear it shunts back into the refuelling road for unloading.

20200402_133148_resized.jpg.ebe1bbfa6d52377b2e431df3a22a464a.jpg

If successful then it could become a regular sight, certainly until the movement restrictions are lifted.

• Like 12

Slight update, I've extended the layout so I will now be able tonhave thr option of operating as a roundy roundy. No idea about what to do on the back wall now. I'll have about 20 ft to play with, Ideally I'd like to include the FY and a scenic section in it. I'm also thinking about having a scenic staging yard like the US modeller's do. Ive considered it before but never did it.. 

Tine for some doodling I guess

• Like 4

• Tempfix

Sidings look great in the pictures and video Scott, thanks for the update. I have a thin scenic section with hidden sidings behind on my home layout. It is against the wall though so still working on a way of seeing all the stock in the sidings. Scenic sidings could work well too though.

Good luck - keep safe.

Rich