Eastbury Yard (a modern era yard somewhere in the South West)

pitbull1845

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

Best to walk away for a bit. I won’t make changes until I’ve slept on it for at least one night.

this incarcerations means I have TOO much modelling time now and I am getting a bit bored with it . So I swap between research / layout/ rolling stock / eras to try and keep it fresh 

Yes, i did just shut the door in the end, and I think I've had too much modelling time, I'll have to try your tactic of mixing it up. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, pitbull1845 said:

Evening,

I seem to have hit a brick wall with the modelling. 

Part of my retaining wall has come apart, Im guessing because of the temp change in the garage. Its recoverable but something I could do without.

The other side of the layout has also been giving me grief. I seem to have wasted days pondering about what to do. My issue is I resent having a fiddle yard double the size of the scenic part, it just seems such a waste to  me. So ive been looking at various options. Im still not sure what to do and its frustrating the hell out of me. 

My current thought is not to even bother having a FY. At the end of the day, its only me that operates the layout (with occasional visitors) so I should just do what I want. As we know, life's too short..  

Im sure tomorrow things will change again, but I thought I'd just 

share my sunday night thoughts as my children don't listen! :D

Scott what about scenic fiddle yards like the Leaford Town yard? Or maybe modelling something like the Goodrington sidings at Paignton so they could work like a fiddle yard to you but you can have the fun of creating scenics?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rhysb said:

Scott what about scenic fiddle yards like the Leaford Town yard? Or maybe modelling something like the Goodrington sidings at Paignton so they could work like a fiddle yard to you but you can have the fun of creating scenics?

Thats the sort of thing im looking at, Nigel has sent me a plan that isnt too dissimilar to what I was thinking. with hidden sidings at the back, enabling an off scene when required.

I'll have a look at the Paignton sidings for ideas too, thanks. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas guys, I have a few things to look into now. 

In other news the council estate is coming on, with a another two properties in place. These ones are slightly posher with windows on the end aspect. 

My plan is to add a pub on the left, a really rough pub at that. 

20200420_152940.jpg.d1347d1711e6203689700a3735137f4f.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

You want the back of someone’s head in the window, sitting on the throne ;) 

I'd be a bit concerned as thats the landing window at the top of the stairs. I do need to add details like waste pipes and aerials etc, but thays way down the list if the layout survives.. 

• Funny 1

Today is my eldest sons 13th birthday. I mention this because I was looking through some old photos and found one of him aged 3, sat on my baseboards in the garage. The boards look the same with no layout on it just ideas with track loosely placed. 

I can't go on another 10 years like that so Ive decided to downsize.  My plans of a roundy roundy is no more. the scenic bit is staying and the other side will be a manageable fiddle yard with a work bench on the end. 

I'll now concentrate on the scenic side and hope to get a near finished layout so that I can actually play trains!! 

• Friendly/supportive 4

Ooh, bad time for a birthday ! Almost as bad as xmas day !

ten years ? I remember you buying that Vi trains transrail 37 off me, and that was when I lived in daventry so must have been 2010...time flies.

I’ll be 48 next week , so also joining the “ having a sh1te birthday club “

• Funny 1

8 hours ago, pitbull1845 said:

Today is my eldest sons 13th birthday. I mention this because I was looking through some old photos and found one of him aged 3, sat on my baseboards in the garage. The boards look the same with no layout on it just ideas with track loosely placed. 

I can't go on another 10 years like that so Ive decided to downsize.  My plans of a roundy roundy is no more. the scenic bit is staying and the other side will be a manageable fiddle yard with a work bench on the end. 

I'll now concentrate on the scenic side and hope to get a near finished layout so that I can actually play trains!! sake man

2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Ooh, bad time for a birthday ! Almost as bad as xmas day !

ten years ? I remember you buying that Vi trains transrail 37 off me, and that was when I lived in daventry so must have been 2010...time flies.

I’ll be 48 next week , so also joining the “ having a sh1te birthday club “

Don't laugh Guys, I'll be 70 on Monday, all being well, :o:rofl: and still moving back to Amp Sher in about 3 weeks.:good:, Seven Mills Sidings WILL be re assembled, I hope.:)

Scott, I think I may have said this before, but do what makes you happy, sometimes posting on here, you, like me, feel we have to please others. DON'T. Do your own thing for Scott's sake man.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Don't laugh Guys, I'll be 70 on Monday, all being well, :o:rofl: and still moving back to Amp Sher in about 3 weeks.:good:, Seven Mills Sidings WILL be re assembled, I hope.:)

Scott, I think I may have said this before, but do what makes you happy, sometimes posting on here, you, like me, feel we have to please others. DON'T. Do your own thing for Scott's sake man.

Happy Birthday in advance, Rob and Andy, Have a great day at home!

Andy, I think changing my mind and coming up with different ideas makes me happy, or certainly did. But I'm at that point where I want to have a layout that I can tinker with rather than rip up. I have been guilty in the past of maybe playing to the crowd, rather than doing my own thing..

But it's all about me now! :D

• Like 3

Thanks and fair play .

I’m starting to think  the joy to a layout is how flexible it is. My TMD and sidings plank can be used for BR blue, late BR and EWS with only a few changes , and my mood changes between those almost daily .

however all future plans are on hold due furlough - and truth be told we won’t be going back. So I’m now searching for a new job .

• Friendly/supportive 4

Have you thought about building a modular type layout with small modules linked by through lines?

And you just build the modules one by one to what you feel like at the time?

After 1 module is built you will have a "layout" to run, but if you feel you want something different start building the next one etc? Could be different time lines on them to suit your needs.

Oh Lord, I've given you ideas now !! (and myself..oops!)

Cheers,

Stu

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Thanks and fair play .

I’m starting to think  the joy to a layout is how flexible it is. My TMD and sidings plank can be used for BR blue, late BR and EWS with only a few changes , and my mood changes between those almost daily .

however all future plans are on hold due furlough - and truth be told we won’t be going back. So I’m now searching for a new job .

Sorry to hear about the job hunting, I wish you luck.. 

I was thinking the very same about different eras.  Once Im happy with the layout thats something I could very much look into. The late 80's/ early 90's is popular within my inner circle of modelling mates.  So would be a good place to start..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, SparxD428 said:

Have you thought about building a modular type layout with small modules linked by through lines?

And you just build the modules one by one to what you feel like at the time?

After 1 module is built you will have a "layout" to run, but if you feel you want something different start building the next one etc? Could be different time lines on them to suit your needs.

Oh Lord, I've given you ideas now !! (and myself..oops!)

Cheers,

Stu

Hi Stu, 

PaulRhb and others havr often suggested modules to appease my ever changing mind.. 

I have an idea about that, but ad a separate entity to the current layout.. Its on the "things to do list "

Cheers

Scott

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Evening.. 

Just a quick update, ive been working on another weekend project.  With the demise of the roundy roundy option I decided to add a small scenic section at the end of the station FY area. 

Its not finished yet, but its almost there.. Its supposed to represent a part of a DMU depot.. I need  some depot clutter and more scenic bits amongst other things.  But I'm fairly happy with it.. 

20200427_174815.jpg.7a3526646895a76c32e6f7c0e40d0059.jpg

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I like.:)

But then I like 99.999% of your modelling, so what's NOT to like.:good:

Yeah but it's the other 0.001% that we should be worried about.

:D

• Funny 5

3 hours ago, pitbull1845 said:

Evening.. 

Just a quick update, ive been working on another weekend project.  With the demise of the roundy roundy option I decided to add a small scenic section at the end of the station FY area. 

Its not finished yet, but its almost there.. Its supposed to represent a part of a DMU depot.. I need  some depot clutter and more scenic bits amongst other things.  But I'm fairly happy with it.. 

20200427_174815.jpg.7a3526646895a76c32e6f7c0e40d0059.jpg

Very clever Scott, i like it.

Graham. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Evening. 

After the successful pilot of the refuelling site, Arlington Fleet group have now officially taken over the operations at the depot as well.  

Which is good news for the local enthusiasts, as anything could turn up now..  

20200501_135441.jpg.de8d54216278f7f173ca82b27f685fd5.jpg

Which is my excuse for running what I like. (When I can afford it) 

• Like 12

Afternoon, 

Hope you're all still coping ok. I've managed to do little bits on the layout inbetween shifts and home schooling. 

I've also bought a few bits of rolling stock for the layout and for use on a little side project that im planning. They haven't  arrived yet, but no doubt will when I'm at work..

I know its getting a bit samey, but I'll leave you with yet another photo from the depot. The sun was shining and I thought it looked quite natural. 

20200505_185300_001.jpg.8ac17f9b440baf85de9d6a7c11dda90f.jpg

I wont post anymore of this area for a bit now, promise. 

• Like 6