GBRf Class 69 Project

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Sorry to quote you but how does this work with new build replica steam locomotives?

No problem! I’ve not a clue, but would assume steam emissions are very different rules to diesel power unit emissions.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

No problem! I’ve not a clue, but would assume steam emissions are very different rules to diesel power unit emissions.

I'd guess that there simply aren't enough for it to make any difference. If someone was planning on building hundreds some rules would no doubt appear pretty quickly.

I guess that newbuilds of old diesels would be out of the question (much harder to build a diesel engine from scratch anyway compared to steam), I believe the Baby Deltic Project is using a surviving existing engine so gets around it in the same way as the last 66s?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Sorry to quote you but how does this work with new build replica steam locomotives?

I would assume that it would go on “grandfather” rights and it would be expected that they would have very high emissions.  When NASA retired their space shuttles, they looked into a 21st century version of the Saturn V to lift heavy objects into orbit but they encountered two problems.  One was nobody knew how to build F1 engines as they were effectively hand made in the 1960’s and the others was emissions.  It was felt they would be too polluting, if that makes sense?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I would assume that it would go on “grandfather” rights and it would be expected that they would have very high emissions.  When NASA retired their space shuttles, they looked into a 21st century version of the Saturn V to lift heavy objects into orbit but they encountered two problems.  One was nobody knew how to build F1 engines as they were effectively hand made in the 1960’s and the others was emissions.  It was felt they would be too polluting, if that makes sense?

Hydrogen and Oxygen when burnt produce Water so no emission problem?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

The fuel used for the first stage was kerosene (and liquid oxygen for the oxidiser) because it's denser than hydrogen, so kept the size of the first stage down (cost / practicality of building it even larger and aerodynamic drag being the deciding factors there). The second and third stages used hydrogen.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Stage 1 of a Saturn V burnt Kerosene and Oxygen, Hydrogen and Oxygen in the upper stages because Kerosene doesn’t burn in the vacuum of space.