Model Rail USA Tank Loco

I wonder if anyone could advise upon the minimum radius these models can take? Planning a set track radius 1 curve for my dockyard shunting layout, but want to double check before laying and before purchase of said loco ...

I realise the originals were ideal for tight curves and hoping the model likewise. (I suppose the same question applies for the Heljan Class 07 diesel).

Thanks for any advice.

Steve

24 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I wonder if anyone could advise upon the minimum radius these models can take? Planning a set track radius 1 curve for my dockyard shunting layout, but want to double check before laying and before purchase of said loco ...

I realise the originals were ideal for tight curves and hoping the model likewise. (I suppose the same question applies for the Heljan Class 07 diesel).

Thanks for any advice.

Steve

24 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I don't have one myself but I do also have a small radius 1 section on my railway. I would have thought they would be OK on 1st radius, I've seen several videos of them on tight radius curves, and with the wheelbase being very short, you could probably get away with it. It may mean that you won't be able to fit some of the extra details like steps and pipes etc., but it'll probably be OK. 

I don't think it's a question of whether it'll get round, just how well it'll do it. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I realise the originals were ideal for tight curves and hoping the model likewise. (I suppose the same question applies for the Heljan Class 07 diesel)...

The problem with this question is sample variation. Both the models mentioned can definitely be got to run reliably round UK set track R1, and I write that not owning either, and only a brief acquaintance with the USA tank model.

But they may need a little fettling to get there. Small variations in gauging of the wheelsets, and the parts connected to and around the wheelsets and their assembly, that constrain flexibility - specifically the full side to side movement of each axle - may need to be attended to. You might find there's no trouble at all of course, but I would check very carefully from the underside that all the rods will clear each other, crankpins and fixed structures, with all the wheelsets at their maximum sideways travels, front and rear full left, centre axle full right, and vice versa, before running.

An example: when the Bachmann WD 2-8-0 was released (now 20 years ago!) I was asked to see if I could get that running reliably around R1. It would go round, but was noticeably a little rough (audibly grumbling) on the curve. Two of the plastic brake shoe mouldings were a just a little too close to the wheel tyres. An invisible paring away of the concealed face of those brake shoes, and it sailed around. (Several hours running might have worn the clearance into the plastic parts.)

• Informative/Useful 1

I’ve got a Mehano  kids set that I use to test locomotives which has sub r1 curves. Pleased to report that my NCB USA went round without the slightest difficulty- it has a very short wheelbase so there are no issues there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Lovely USA tank in my possession! As reported elsewhere, my overblown efforts have been massively cut back so I won't need to worry about curves for now, but I can confirm that the loco runs beautifully even over secondhand insulfrog points (medium radius) so will be a star performer on my quayside layout (when I build it!)

Thanks again for all the advice.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

They happily run though Peco small radius turnouts and Ys along with at least one short radius curve on my Canute Road Quay layout. 
1D6623F6-5607-4592-B5E5-A5144C5B938F.jpeg.46c7dcbe5edb78e1c35092b765a62410.jpeg
A39613A1-E70E-4EF9-8FB8-837834C06A2D.jpeg.d13870ed4802aecd1ba9061f70dd76a5.jpeg

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Thanks for the information, Graham - have to admit to being a little star struck to get a message from you, as Canute Quay is one of my major inspirations! If my layout turns out half as good as that, I'll be a very happy chappie indeed!

Gosh totally no need to be star struck, feel free to fire me any questions anytime! 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

Ah - an SR one! I waited too long to buy one of those, they sold out and I got a black N class instead.

This is also a Southern one but repainted and modified to represent No 72 as first in SR service with the only modification being the fitting of side windows. 
1FDA8A9A-91A4-490D-9F78-EA789C372D10.jpeg.73d1cab40118727ba1619ca76197a412.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2