8pin Direct decoder - Hornby H class

Lissadell

I have just purchased one of these locos and want to fit a suitable decoder.  There isn’t a lot of room in there!

After searching the only chip I’ve found being mentioned Is the TCS DP2X-UK

There must be lots of these popular models running under digital control, so I wondered if I could draw on members experience.

I would be very grateful to hear recommendations for small 8pin Direct chips that have been fitted successfully to these Hornby Wainwright class H locos

Regards

Adrian

PS perhaps I should say that I am looking for a non sound installation

Not quite the answer you were looking for as it's not a direct plug decoder, but I put a tiny Zimo MX616R decoder in my H. The DP2X-UK was the only decoder I'd seen mentioned as being suitable too, but I wasn't keen to order one specially as from previous experience they suit some locos better than others (my Hornby 700 didn't run smoothly when fitted with the only one I've bought so far, whereas my King Arthur is perfectly happy with it). I've standardised on Zimo for all new decoders, and ideally wanted a solution that would allow the body to be easily re-fitted and removed without any hassle with tucking wires away. After a bit of measuring, I reasoned that the MX616R would sit neatly under the DCC socket, which it just about does, and the wires are the right length to coil up around the socket quite neatly.

You do have to unscrew the socket from its mounting posts to fit the decoder there, and it's worth making sure that none of the wires going into the PCB are long enough to obstruct the decoder too. The description in the packaging also recommends that you don't use the decoder to run the loco on DC, and at £32 it was as much as I'd want to spend on a non-sound decoder. The performance is just what I'd hoped for though, and makes it all worthwhile.

• RMweb Gold

If it helps I've just fitted a DP2X-UK to a Hornby N15 for a fellow member which works well. That particular loco seems to have been designed to only accept the basic Hornby decoder as there is a small slot in the boiler/smokebox weight but is way too small for say a Zimo MX600R.

I've also fitted a DP2X-UK with home grown stay alive to my Model Rail Sentinel, again works really well, super smooth and good low speed control

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

If it helps I've just fitted a DP2X-UK to a Hornby N15 for a fellow member which works well. That particular loco seems to have been designed to only accept the basic Hornby decoder as there is a small slot in the boiler/smokebox weight but is way too small for say a Zimo MX600R.

I've also fitted a DP2X-UK with home grown stay alive to my Model Rail Sentinel, again works really well, super smooth and good low speed control

I've fitted a Zimo MX623R to one of my N15s and it runs very well. It's small enough to fit in the slot like the Hornby decoder.  I don't like the TCS DP2X-UK as it can exhibit erratic performance at higher speed levels caused by a poor Back-EMF implementation. 

For the H I've used a Lenz Silver Mini+.  This is wires-only but I simply soldered the wires to a spare 8-pin plug that I had. It then sits on top of the motor housing after the capacitor is removed. 

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, RFS said:

I've fitted a Zimo MX623R to one of my N15s and it runs very well. It's small enough to fit in the slot like the Hornby decoder.  I don't like the TCS DP2X-UK as it can exhibit erratic performance at higher speed levels caused by a poor Back-EMF implementation. 

Good to know. I might add a couple of 623R's to my stocks along with 600R's. It's a shame that Zimo don't do a direct fit 8 pin, seems only TCS and DCC Concepts want to support this market in the UK.

I don't know about the H class but it may be worth looking at the DCC Concepts 8 pin direct Zen Nano. They are extremely small and the one I have fitted to my Bachmann Prairie works very well. Having used the Nano there was enough room left to fit the stay alive which came with the decoder. That may not be the case with the H class but it would surprise me if the Nano didn't fit.

Just fitted a TCS DP2X-UK to my SECR 'H' Class 263, nice smooth job without trouble and runs well on the rolling road.

Incidentally I have previously fitted an NCE D14SR which is a direct 8 pin, into my Model Rail Sentinel which works very well too all through my ESU ECoS.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 24/10/2019 at 11:16, JST said:

I don't know about the H class but it may be worth looking at the DCC Concepts 8 pin direct Zen Nano. They are extremely small and the one I have fitted to my Bachmann Prairie works very well. Having used the Nano there was enough room left to fit the stay alive which came with the decoder. That may not be the case with the H class but it would surprise me if the Nano didn't fit.

The direct Nano doesn't fit in the H, I tried! I also tried a wired Nano and got very jerky running (despite the same chip working fine in other locos - it's now in a T9).

Following advice elsewhere, I fitted a DZ126 to the H, and that works perfectly.