Cadley Hill (Now owned by Peter BB) see Page 5

Andrew P

After just over a week of sitting around waiting for the House move to happen I am going stir crazy.

I have to be planning and building something, so with that in mind, and even though most of my Scenic materials are now Souf of the Border I have decided to start another small and probably short term project.

The name is Cadley Hill, as that was an open cast Coal Mine just down the road from where I live here in Swadlincote, and still has some of the Colliery sidings hidden in the grass near by. It was also on the through line from Burton on Trent to Leicester via Swadlincote, Woodville and Ashby De La Zouch. 

The board is a total of 7ft x 1ft and folds down to 5ft 6 inches for fitting into most Estate Cars. The Track Plan will be shown tomorrow once I have finalised the final Plan and decided what Track I'll be using etc.

Here is where I have got to today.

IMG_9825.JPG.f266a37d71d4a469561286fec9bcca42.JPG

IMG_9826.JPG.8259772b60cceaf8af45e9d70ed41d45.JPG

IMG_9827.JPG.310f67199a3af62b4605493bd06d9057.JPG

IMG_9828.JPG.d3ffd9b340fa5553eae5ba2394bf146e.JPG

IMG_9829.JPG.628fd9be327ec8b38c37597156d90f8b.JPG

IMG_9830.JPG.2af871d0e55c1f449945bc122f5416fd.JPG

Added a bit of extra width at the Yard end.

297211581_CadleyHill.png.17ff7e81f3c1596278a0861f2793e1e9.png

IMG_9854.JPG.29c83c951e824ebfc93b81d98a084589.JPG

Edited by Andrew P
add words
  • Like 19

Just now, BobM said:

We're off on another 'journey' together...will watch with great interest Andy...!

Regards always. (hope you're okay).

Bob

Thanks Bob, I've just been adding to the opening Post, explaining in more detain the reason why I've started this project.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Following along as ever Andy - I am sure you've got something inspirational to inspire us all with as ever ... and make us feel like snails.  Think thats seven you've completed in the time I have been planning and trying to get started :P  For the love of god, slow down!! :stop::mosking:

Is this one a OO gauge I'm guessing given the baseboard size, or have you developed a liking for small Minerva/Dapol locos and a couple of sidings in O?

Good luck with it tho ... oh and good luck with the house move mate.

Rich

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Following along as ever Andy - I am sure you've got something inspirational to inspire us all with as ever ... and make us feel like snails.  Think thats seven you've completed in the time I have been planning and trying to get started :P  For the love of god, slow down!! :stop::mosking:

Is this one a OO gauge I'm guessing given the baseboard size, or have you developed a liking for small Minerva/Dapol locos and a couple of sidings in O?

Good luck with it tho ... oh and good luck with the house move mate.

Rich

Thanks Rich, It is OO, but I did pop a couple of O Gauge Locos on just to try it for size, but in all honesty, it would need to be 18 inches wide to make the O look anything like realistic. I have had the Minerva Peckett  etc in the past and they were superb, but this will be OO Diesel Period.

As for slowing down, well I have, I spent about 3 hours yesterday doing the Baseboard in a couple of short bursts, and was annoyed that my spare track is all down souf, so will need to get some more.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andrew P said:

After just over a week of sitting around waiting for the House move to happen I am going stir crazy.

I have to be planning and building something, so with that in mind, and even though most of my Scenic materials are now Souf of the Border I have decided to start another small and probably short term project.

The name is Cadley Hill, as that was an open cast Coal Mine just down the road from where I live here in Swadlincote, and still has some of the Colliery sidings hidden in the grass near by. It was also on the through line from Burton on Trent to Leicester via Swadlincote, Woodville and Ashby De La Zouch. 

The board is a total of 7ft x 1ft and folds down to 5ft 6 inches for fitting into most Estate Cars. The Track Plan will be shown tomorrow once I have finalised the final Plan and decided what Track I'll be using etc.

Here is where I have got to today.

IMG_9825.JPG.f266a37d71d4a469561286fec9bcca42.JPG

IMG_9826.JPG.8259772b60cceaf8af45e9d70ed41d45.JPG

IMG_9827.JPG.310f67199a3af62b4605493bd06d9057.JPG

IMG_9828.JPG.d3ffd9b340fa5553eae5ba2394bf146e.JPG

IMG_9829.JPG.628fd9be327ec8b38c37597156d90f8b.JPG

IMG_9830.JPG.2af871d0e55c1f449945bc122f5416fd.JPG

I note there won't be too much scenics, given the gap between boards is only about 1cm when folded.

But now I;m aboard - right away, you're the driver.

TONY

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

30 minutes ago, shedman said:

Good to see you're modelling again Andy. Is this the same Cadley Hill that Hornby did a  green Austerity tank for, Cadley Hill No1? Good luck with the move. Trevor

Thanks Trevor, I didn't know about the Hornby model, but I would imagine it would have been as Cadley Hill had quite a few Locos I believe.

Here's a couple of pics of the actual site from Flicker.

8507571202_0633b22fd8_c.jpg.47671955bcdaba48d030aa5ff4f14350.jpg

4320099354_65fc976492_c.jpg.cdab1e78d07084a48e3946f80a57af2e.jpg

Although this Layout will be in the late 90's period.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

I note there won't be too much scenics, given the gap between boards is only about 1cm when folded.

But now I;m aboard - right away, you're the driver.

TONY

Morning Tony, and thanks, No things will be minimal, and the Scenic side will be 4ft x 1ft, a bit like Deesdale Road started off.

This was Deesdale Road before it grew to it's current 22ft.

724807246_DeesdaleRoadinthebegining.jpg.96c2dff64ad149869a3e540ebea778d2.jpg

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, PannierTanker14 said:

Whoo! Industrials. I’d like to see how this one turns out, as all previous of your works are awesome. 

My layout was based off of a colliery, but I don’t think an E4 ever did coal work. 

No mate, Sorry it's not going to be Industrial, they were just showing pics of how the area looked in the day.

The sidings you see are still there, and the that pic would have been taken from the A444 bridge over the line into Swad.

These are the sidings that are still there in the grass somewhere.

I'll be using the New Mills Stock for this project, and it will have a small Terminus Station for the Cadley Hill / Derby and Crewe Services.

The Layout was inspired by Stu / Lapford 34102's Layout, Portwey, I saw at Derby in May.

1649174952_Portwey2.jpg.5471c4faf016283dcb65fd0e1618a328.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Could you adapt it in part to provide an Inglenook variation so you can spend a bit of time shunting if you were getting bored?

Best of luck with the new venture mate

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ray H said:

Could you adapt it in part to provide an Inglenook variation so you can spend a bit of time shunting if you were getting bored?

It already is Ray. Pics later or tomorrow.

• Like 2

O.K. Just back from Mum's where we today completed the Sale, usual hold ups with someone in the Chain not having the funds in place until 1400 hrs.

Now with that hurdle over with, and being the last time I will see reminders of Mum in her Chair in the Lounge,  I must now move on and think of the future.

Thanks Guys for all your support over the last 12 Months, and I would prefer it if NO post's relating to this were added, I know you will understand my reasons, and so I'll also now keep this thread on Topic.

Cheers Guys.:good:

• Friendly/supportive 13

5 hours ago, Ray H said:

A proper thanks now Ray, here is a couple of pics showing how it will be.

Pencil Planning Mk1. 4ft Scenic, 3ft Fiddle Yard.

IMG_9831.JPG.97aad3dd7f32ce0b1567b51620c58104.JPG

IMG_9832.JPG.5fb0109830c2489d863a6be4d4430bdf.JPG

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Just now, Alister_G said:

Ello, ello, ello, what's all this then?

Another Bodgit bonanza.

Following on.

Al.

Just a we bit of tinkering to stop me sitting on my FAT ARS* all day and getting thoroughly peeeed offfff.:o 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I like the pencil planning but even more I like the way you build another layout to keep you busy. Other people would build a kit or two but you build another layout. I suppose all those ideas buzzing round you head need to come out. One thing you must do is keep an essential tool kit to hand. When during a house move we were living in the Motorhome for months I did keep an essential tool kit in the MH.  

Don

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bogie said:

By my calculations if the house move does not occur for say 3 months you could end up with at least a dozen new layouts in that shed of yours!

A Dozen, haha, I don't think so, :nono:  maybe 11,:good: haha.

In all seriousness, I'm not the sort of person who can simply say, I'll wait until I've moved. Sitting around is not something I'm good at, and so I've drawn up plans for the project after the move, using several different area shapes, sizes and scenarios, depending whether it's a spare room, a square Shed, a long Garage etc, so that I will not have to start that process in 3, 6, 9 or even 12 Months time. Bearing in mind that we put my Mothers Bungalow on the Market on the 12th January and finally completed yesterday, that's 9 long Months, and this Bungalow only went up for sale officially last week.

Like any advance planning, moods, era's, locations may change over that period as new ideas take hold, but the basic outline of; the best use of this area will remain a fairly comfortable and constant all the way along.

• Friendly/supportive 4