Reversing trains

class37418stag

The continuation,  when I rode the line last year ( or was it 2017 ) the dmu departed Morecambe,  halted at the position for the Ground Frame.  the crew released the GF, changed ends and we proceeded into the Heysham Port station,  I cannot recall in entirety the events of the return towards the WCML or to Morecombe except the dmu stopped to  let the crew set  the GF back to Normal

Edited by Pandora

32 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

a few decades back Wick & Thurso required reversal.

Do any Manchester Airport services still reverse at Piccadilly ?

Yes; Transpennine's Cleethorpes/Manchester Airport trains reverse at Piccadilly.

Rather than splitting at Georgemas Jc as in the past, Inverness-Wick services now reverse at Georgemas, run to Thurso, reverse again there and then go to Wick, with the opposite procedure southbound.

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Hello adb968008 

highland rail / scotrail has station with junction call Georgemas junction by spare class 37 haul two coaches for Thurso and class 37 haul three coaches for Wick

I has searched that long time ago online 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, class37418stag said:

Hello adb968008 

highland rail / scotrail has station with junction call Georgemas junction by spare class 37 haul two coaches for Thurso and class 37 haul three coaches for Wick

Caradocs example is what’s i referred to.

i recall one of the longest delays to a UK domestic service occurred here, when a 37 failed to engage reverse requiring a LE from Inverness to rescue.

40 minutes ago, 62613 said:

Glossop/Hadfield services

Doesn't reverse as the driver changes end as they would when the service changes direction at Manchester Piccadilly!

Perhaps change of direction at a station would be more appropriate!

Edited by johnd

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Hello adb968008 

On 19/10/2019 at 16:05, Markwj said:

I think at one time trains from Blackpool north reversed at Preston to reach Glasgow although I never travelled on one.

I think it was more of a change of direction rather than reversing, the diesel from Blackpool would be on the South end of the train then it would come off and an electric would be put on the North end for the journey North.

Ian

Eastbourne is another one. Trains from Ashford to Brighton go in, driver changes ends, then train goes back out the same way to take the opposite route a bit further along.

Aldershot, some trains do Waterloo-Ascot-Aldershot then reverse to go to Guildford. "across the branch" it's known as.

Does the Waterloo - Folkstone Harbour service count? The unit stopped (to what appeared to me) in the middle of nowhere, and a few moments later the driver was seen alongside the window walking along the cat-walk to take the unit downhill to the harbour station. (Around 1982/3).

Cheers,

Philip

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, 11B said:

I think it was more of a change of direction rather than reversing, the diesel from Blackpool would be on the South end of the train then it would come off and an electric would be put on the North end for the journey North.

Ian

Hi Ian

i think the service in the later days was run with a unit like a 158 although you could well be right. 

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, johnd said:

Doesn't reverse as the driver changes end as they would when the service changes direction at Manchester Piccadilly!

Perhaps change of direction at a station would be more appropriate!

To serve both Hadfield and Glossop a train has to reverse at one or the other.

• RMweb Gold
On 18/10/2019 at 17:32, gordon s said:

Reading to Gatwick Airport trains reverse at Redhill...

Pre-electrification of the Redhill-Tonbridge line, the Reading-Tonbridge trains would reverse at Redhill as well.

Also, until the train was withdrawn in the late 90s, the Tonbridge-Manchester(?) TPO would have to reverse at Redhill.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Reorte said:

To serve both Hadfield and Glossop a train has to reverse at one or the other.

Twice

Piccadilly - Dinting - Glossop (reverse) - Hadfied (reverse) - Dinting - Piccadilly

So train is facing forward on both the outward and return to Manchester, the train is turned on the triangle.

A multiple unit with a cab on both ends has muddied the waters as to what a reversal is.

A reversal and a propelling move are different.

A move that has a service move into a station stop and come out of that station over the same track over which it arrived as the same service counts as a reversal.

For instance a service that starts at Blackpool North, travels to Preston, stops there and then travels north over Preston Fylde Jn is a reversal.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

A move that has a service move into a station stop and come out of that station over the same track over which it arrived as the same service counts as a reversal.

For instance a service that starts at Blackpool North, travels to Preston, stops there and then travels north over Preston Fylde Jn is a reversal.

Precisely.

The Dinting Glossop Hadfied does that as it is one service Manchester to Manchester but reverses twice to end up facing the way it came.

For instance this train (2G89):

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y63390/2019-10-21/detailed

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Precisely.

The Dinting Glossop Hadfied does that as it is one service Manchester to Manchester but reverses twice to end up facing the way it came.

For instance this train (2G89):

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y63390/2019-10-21/detailed

Nar that dont count, it reverses a reversal and ends up going back out the front end first :-)

Another example of trains changing direction is the Birmingham - Aberystwyth and/or Pwllheli service that runs via Wolverhampton  into the south and of Shrewsbury then departs again in the opposite direction to get to Machynlleth. 

Also in Wales, the Central Wales line trains from Shrewsbury to Swansea change direction at Llanelli.

The Crewe - Manchester via Manchester Airport changes direction at the Airport.

An historic example of a train actually reversing so that the loco was propelling was local to here when the train from Scarborough to Whitby left Scarborough station; the loco would push the train backwards out of Scarborough station for a short distance to clear the junction then when the route was set, pull the train in the correct direction through Londesborough Road tunnel.

A few more off the top of my head:

• Exmouth - Paignton at Exeter
  • Gloucester - Southampton at Swindon
  • Ayr - Edinburgh at Glasgow Central
  • Norwich - Liverpool at Ely
  • Nottingham - Skegness at Grantham
  • Whittocks End - Great Malvern at Worcester Shrub Hill

Not too many years ago (maybe 2012?) there were a some Brighton - Southampton trains that reversed at Littlehampton and a handful that ran Fareham - Eastleigh - Southampton.

EDIT: There was also a relatively recent timetable with a Kyle of Lochalsh - Elgin service that reversed at Inverness.

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU