Silberling / n-Wagen options

64F

After a few years of drought there has been a glut of H0 Silverling announcements/releases recently, courtesy of Brawa, Piko and ESU.  Does anyone have any views on their respective merits?  The Pikos will obviously be more basic and don't have an interior lighting option, as is reflected by their price (for the intermediate coaches at any rate), but will there be much to chose between the others?

Have a look at this link, might throw some light on your questions, in German but can be electronically translated.

Will Berghoff is a very knowledgeable expert on coaching stock in both prototype and model form.

https://modellbahn.net/index.php/startseite/modellberichte/wagenmodelle/reisezugwagen/sitzwagen/silberlinge-2019

Edited by adecoaches26point4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I love Brawa coaches, but they have a lot of detail and tend to be fragile. I have had my eye on their Silverfish for a while. I did not realise ESU were releasing them, but they are likely to be to a similar standard.

Don't completely discount Piko. It really depends on your budget, but some of their carriage offerings (albeit East German, I don't have their Silberlinge) are good models.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys,

Interesting article - if the German expert is so far undecided I think I'll wait myself before ordering.  I can see that getting the peacock eye side pattern right is obviously a massive challenge, but as I model the 2010s I don't need to worry about that myself. 

I'm very pleased with my Brawa TWINDEXX so I've high hopes for their n-Wagen, but I've no experience of ESU.  Piko I find can be hit-or-miss - the Wittenburger steuerwagen is an 'Expert' model and priced much the same as the equivalent Brawa, but the intermediate cars are priced a fair bit cheaper than the others so I'm not sure what to expect of them.

Keith

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Modellbahn Union is offering the ESU Silberlinge for sale now.

Both refurbished (epoch V and VI) and original (Epoch III) versions are listed by MU.

A close-up photo is needed to see how they've handled the 'peacock eyes'. Have a look under 'picture gallery' here: http://www.esu.eu/en/products/pullman/spur-h0/n-car-silberling/

First time I have seen the distinctively shaped wheel discs reproduced on a commercial H0 model. There must be a word to describe the way they are shaped!

Edited by readingtype
Remove tracking link
  • Informative/Useful 1

Those ESU Silverfish look bloomin good to me!

They've done the window frames and glazing rather well, too.

I have a couple of their locomotives and they were my best buys so if I get the chance to get these, I'll go for ESU.

I know that if anything were to go wrong, ESUs customer service is top quality.

Cheers,

John.

On 18/10/2019 at 22:42, 64F said:

Thanks guys,

Interesting article - if the German expert is so far undecided I think I'll wait myself before ordering.  I can see that getting the peacock eye side pattern right is obviously a massive challenge, but as I model the 2010s I don't need to worry about that myself. 

Keith

The ESU models have been released and have been seen by the expert, who decided not to purchase any, due to him considering that faults were to evident in the detailing.

My Ade versions are safe!

His thoughts can be found on Facebook at modellbahn.net

Edited by adecoaches26point4

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently bought the Fleischmann Ho version of the N-Wagen silver which are the cheapest option being a few left NOS @ £19. Stamped made in Germany.

Things have certainly moved on though looking at all the amazing detailing underneath the bogies on the expensive ESU version. The new Brawa version, also made in China, is bound to be super detailed too.

Edited by maico

• 4 weeks later...

I like my Piko coaches. Just bad that the Steuerwagen is not dcc for the front lights. But aside that, they are good to handle, not too many details (that can fall off) and a nice price.

I turned from a Roco into a Piko fan, those guys are amazing. Can't wait to get my Blue/Beige 181.2!!!:dance_mini:

• Like 1