Goods Yard Exit Signal - Midland Railway

Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold

Would the MR have used a ground signal to control the exit of a small goods yard? The diagram I have for Buxton Midland in the 1950s (Signalling Record Soc) shows a ground signal. Would the Midland have used one or a full (or even small) armed semaphore? Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

It would depend very much on the location, Jonathan.  A full semaphore on a post permits the train to proceed at up to line speed as far as the next stop signal; in the case of a yard outlet leading directly in to the absolute block section between two boxes it would be needed, as it acts as the starter 'section signal' in this case.  A ground signal permits the train to proceed within 'station limits' (the distance between the outermost home and most advanced starter at a signal box) only as far as the line is clear, at a speed appropriate to the train being able to be stopped within the distance the driver can see is clear and at any case at no more than 15mph, as there may be traffic occupying the line between this and the next stop signal.  

At a very small yards where the box is close by and traffic light, it is possible that no signal at all would be bothered with within station limits as matters can be perfectly well dealt with using handsignals.  But the Midland was well known for liking to have a signal for everything, so I would for modelling purposes go with a signal of some sort as default, unless you know there wasn't one used at your location if you are modelling a prototype.  If there is more than one route which can be accessed from a yard exit ground signal, then the route is indicated by two or more ground signals mounted vertically, to be read as applying to routes 'top to bottom left to right'.  If we are entering an absolute block section a splitting junction semaphore must be provided or at least a route indicator.

The 'top to bottom left to right' reading also applies to semaphore signals on permissive block lines; these cannot be used by passeneger carrying trains and speed is restricted to 15mph.  Sections may be occupied by preceding trains, and you may be followed into the section by another train.  A small armed semaphore is used for permissive block working.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, The Johnster said:

It would depend very much on the location, Jonathan.  A full semaphore on a post permits the train to proceed at up to line speed as far as the next stop signal; in the case of a yard outlet leading directly in to the absolute block section between two boxes it would be needed, as it acts as the starter 'section signal' in this case.  A ground signal permits the train to proceed within 'station limits' (the distance between the outermost home and most advanced starter at a signal box) only as far as the line is clear, at a speed appropriate to the train being able to be stopped within the distance the driver can see is clear and at any case at no more than 15mph, as there may be traffic occupying the line between this and the next stop signal.  

Thanks for your comprehensive reply, Johnster. Buxton Midland was a terminus and I expect the speed limit was 15 mph on all lines. On exiting the yard there is only one route and, almost immediately, a home signal on the main line which I assume is the outer home and was slotted with the next box. I don't know if there was a signal at the yard exit in MR or LMS days but there was a ground one, as I have said, by the 1950s. I assume if there was one in MR/LMS days then it would have been a ground disc?