Bachmann Earl crankpins

I'll start by declaring that I am rather ham-fisted.

I wanted to swap coupling rods between two Bachmann Earl chassis I have, to get fluted rods on the right one (one being in GWR livery, other one in BR black being used to make a Bulldog). I got the crankpins out and the rods off using pliers, which was rather foolish as I cannot get the blasted pins back in to the outside cranks. Push fitting the Bachmann pins once removed looks to be difficult. Is there a nack to this or better tools to use, a couple of the pins have gone flying across the railway room never to be seen again in all likelihood and as well I stopped or the model may have followed suit in my frustration!

Or maybe use some other (Gibson?) parts?

Any advise gratefully received as I was getting rather frustrated and wishing I had started this task.

All the best

Jon

3 hours ago, The Great Bear said:

I'll start by declaring that I am rather ham-fisted.

I wanted to swap coupling rods between two Bachmann Earl chassis I have, to get fluted rods on the right one (one being in GWR livery, other one in BR black being used to make a Bulldog). I got the crankpins out and the rods off using pliers, which was rather foolish as I cannot get the blasted pins back in to the outside cranks. Push fitting the Bachmann pins once removed looks to be difficult. Is there a nack to this or better tools to use, a couple of the pins have gone flying across the railway room never to be seen again in all likelihood and as well I stopped or the model may have followed suit in my frustration!

Or maybe use some other (Gibson?) parts?

Any advise gratefully received as I was getting rather frustrated and wishing I had started this task.

All the best

Jon

Dumb question,

Er....why didn't you just swap the chassis?

Woulda saved some cursing