Bachmann 03 inconsistent running

CovDriver

• RMweb Gold

Hi all I've had a Bachmann 03 for a while now which runs very erratically sometimes it'll travel a few feet at very slow speed then it'll stop and after a second or two it'll move off again and do the same and then sometimes It'll move a quarter turn of the wheels and stop and it will constantly keep doing this. 

I've checked all the wiper pickups they are constantly in contact with the backs of the wheels.

The wheel sets are cleanas are the pickups.

This is only when I run it on DCC I've tried a Gaugemaster omni decoder and a hattons decoder both with same results as mentioned above.

Does anybody have any ideas what I could do to solve this. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Just now, soony said:

Is it the version that..........

Not if it's the DCC version which it sounds like as he has swapped chips.

Assuming it runs fine on DC which reading the OP it sounds like then it's a DCC issue in some ways.

My initial thought is check those pickups again and check they're in contact at all times and especially at max axle deflection, chips seem far more sensitive to momentary loss of current than plain DC.

Can't remember if there's any suppressors on an 03 which might cause an issue.

If you have a "quality" 6 pin chip to hand it would be worth trying.

May be of some help

Stu

• Like 1

I note you say it happens on DCC, have you tried it on DC?

The symptoms you describe was not an uncommon issue on the earliest release of the current 03's it is due to the Jackshafts binding. The easiest fix is to remove the pins that connect the coupling rods from the jackshafts, you can't see them behind the steps from most angles and I never had anyone spot they weren't turning on mine over the years. The above of course is irrelevant if your model works ok on DC....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CovDriver said:

Hi all I've had a Bachmann 03 for a while now which runs very erratically...

Does anybody have any ideas what I could do to solve this. 

Momentary loss of power to the decoder is the best fit for the problem description. Most decoders shut down and restart after a brief interval whenever they lose track power sufficiently that processing ceases.

You need to chase down the cause systematically.

Supply DCC power directly to the pick up securing rivets on the underside (you may need to make a couple of small pointed probes that locate well into the rivets). If the motor then runs consistently reliably, even against some resistance applied by finger, the problem is likely to be pick up.

If you still see some cutting out and restarting, look for a break in the connections from the pick up wipers to the decoder socket track connections

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 37114 said:

The symptoms you describe was not an uncommon issue on the earliest release of the current 03's it is due to the Jackshafts binding. The easiest fix is to remove the pins that connect the coupling rods from the jackshafts, you can't see them behind the steps from most angles and I never had anyone spot they weren't turning on mine over the years. 

Thanks for that, I must try it on my erratic 03.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I would like to thank everyone for there suggestions on curing the erratic running but I've tried everything now and ive now dumped the loco back in its box and into storage as it was becoming very close to sending it to the modelling equivalent of M.C. Metals. 

Cheers 

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I obtained one of these around this time last year on a secondhand stall at my local exhibition. Was in excellent condition, almost as if it hadn't been run much. When I got it home I had the same trouble trying to get it to run reliably, very hesitant and erratic and I guessed this was why it had been sold off. As I intended to convert it to P4 and fit sound I expected that to cure the problems. So I was surprised when I took the body off to start to discover that it had a Lenz silver mini decoder fitted. I had been running it on DC as I had no idea a chip was fitted, especially as I only paid £50 for it, but even this decoder didn't give it decent reliable running.

To cut a long story even after fitting a Zimo MX648 the running wasn't any better, despite going through sorting the wiper pickups and wheels, so in the end I added a stay-alive unit. This was a homebrew tantalum version but similar ones are available from the likes of Youchoos. This completely cured all the performance issues so as you use DCC I would suggest a Zimo fitted with a stay-alive might be the answer ( Zimo's aren't expensive these days and give much better performance than any others - plus it's easier to fit stay-alives to them).

Izzy

Remove the decoder and sell it on eBay as DC is the smart move.  The blackened wheels never seem to pick up as nicely as shiny ones, maybe try polishing the treads?  However  I think lack of weight is a big issue with DCC. DCC ready locos are lighter than the old analogue only ones and I have noticed how much more fussy they are on less than pristine track.   My Cast body Triang chassis with Romfords locos run happily outside in the rain where Bachmann 64XX etc  simply won't go at all .

If you must fiddle drape a big sheet of lead over the top of it and see if its any better. If it is better then the problem is incurable as there is nowhere to put weight so sell it on eBay as DC, if not the problem is incurable so sell on eBay as DC.

Edited by DavidCBroad

• RMweb Gold

A "stay-alive" unit hidden in a permanently attached match truck transformed the running of my 03.  Another option would be a permanently attached brake van.

Steve