Recalling the name of a French station

hexagon789

Trying to remember the name of a French station featured in I think it was an issue of Continental Modeller a couple of years ago. It was situated on an unelectrified branch but trains had to reverse in/out to continue along either part of the line, the station being a terminus. 

I believe it had an overall roof, but the platforms may have been truncated and was once served by Intercités formed of Corail stock hauled by BB67400s, though I think only TERs serve it now.

A look at a map of French railways didn't jog my memory, so I'm hoping someone might be able to come up with the name.

Thanks for any ideas :)

Edited by hexagon789
Few typos

This would be Tulle which featured in the March 2018 Continenetal Modeller. Tulle is a reversing terminus on the Brive-Ussel line though until 1969 the metre gauge PO Correze also ran through it between Uzerche and Argentat. Until 1959 it was also the terminus for the metre gauge Tramways de Correze line to Ussel (via a far more sinuous route than the main line) that used the PO Correze tracks to reach Tulle. The metre gauge occupied the first platform track alongside the the station building with two standard gauge platform tracks beyond. Since the closure of the metre gauge line the area it occupied has simply been an empty space. The station did and does have an overall roof and like most such, the overall roof ran the length of the station building with open platforms beyond.

Though the two SG lines into Tulle were single track, Brive-Ussel wasn't really a branch line. Though now confined to TER services and a shadow of its former self Tulle used to handle  long distance trains with a through service to and from Paris so was really a cross country main line.

More about Tulle station here. 

http://www.lacorreze.com/villes/tulle/la_gare.htm

The Tramways de Correze were by the way well known as including the last metre gauge rural tramway to operate in France and there have been several books about it. Unlike the Correze Tramways, the PO Correze metre gauge lines were considered part of the national rail network rather than of purely local interest (d'Interet General rather than d'Interet Local) 

On most maps of France's railways it's not apparent that Tulle is a reversing terminus so I'm not surprised that they didn't  jog your memory. 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Informative/Useful 3

9 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Though the two SG lines into Tulle were single track, Brive-Ussel wasn't really a branch line. Though now confined to TER services and a shadow of its former self Tulle used to handle  long distance trains with a through service to and from Paris so was really a cross country main line.

Yes, until the early 2000's there was also a daily through train from Clermont Ferrand to Bordeaux via Brive le Gaiilard,  but this got cut back to  Ussel - Bordeaux a few years later, and has now disappeared altogether, as has the other Clermont-Bordeaux service via Limoges- Montluçon.

img312_filtered.jpg.7a996d93e08447a5b45b88bb7100e720.jpg

Here is the class 67 of the afternoon Ussel- Bordeaux, backing on after running round the four coach train at Tulle, in I think, 2009.   At least one if not two of the coaches were corridor stock, - this was the last time I rode in one of these in revenue service in France.

Mike

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 20/10/2019 at 11:35, Spotlc said:

Yes, until the early 2000's there was also a daily through train from Clermont Ferrand to Bordeaux via Brive le Gaiilard,  but this got cut back to  Ussel - Bordeaux a few years later, and has now disappeared altogether, as has the other Clermont-Bordeaux service via Limoges- Montluçon.

Here is the class 67 of the afternoon Ussel- Bordeaux, backing on after running round the four coach train at Tulle, in I think, 2009.   At least one if not two of the coaches were corridor stock, - this was the last time I rode in one of these in revenue service in France.

Mike

Excellent photo Mike

Thanks

19 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Excellent photo Mike

Thanks

Thanks for your encouragement!  I have a lot of photos of railways and trains around Limousin, but another of my hobbies is restoring vintage cameras, so they are mostly black and white.  Do you think there would be any interest on here, if I were to start a thread?

Best, Mike

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spotlc said:

Thanks for your encouragement!  I have a lot of photos of railways and trains around Limousin, but another of my hobbies is restoring vintage cameras, so they are mostly black and white.  Do you think there would be any interest on here, if I were to start a thread?

Best, Mike

Yes, please!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Spotlc said:

Best, Mike

Oui, s.v.p!

7 hours ago, Spotlc said:

Best, Mike

Mais Certainement- the more the merrier. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 20/10/2019 at 02:07, Pacific231G said:

This would be Tulle which featured in the March 2018 Continenetal Modeller. Tulle is a reversing terminus on the Brive-Ussel line though until 1969 the metre gauge PO Correze ran through it between Uzerche and Argentat. Until 1959 it was also the terminus for the metre gauge Tramways de Correze line to Ussel (via a far more sinuous route than the main line) that used the PO Correze tracks to reach Tulle. The metre gauge occupied the first platform track alongside the the station building with two standard gauge platform tracks beyonf. Since the closure of the metre gauge line the area it occupied has simply been an empty space. The station did and does have an overall roof and like most such, the overall roof ran the length of the station building with open platforms beyond.

More about Tulle station here. 

http://www.lacorreze.com/villes/tulle/la_gare.htm

The Tramways de Correze were by the way well known as the last metre gauge rural tramway to operate in France and there have been several books about it. Unlike the Correze Tramways The PO Correze metre gauge lines were considered part of the national rail network rather than of purely local interest (d'Interet General rather than d'Interet Local) 

On most maps of France's railways it's not apparent that Tulle is a reversing terminus so I'm not surprised that they didn't  jog your memory. 

Thank you, just as well I asked, I had it in my head it started with an 'A'!

Thanks for the wee description and the link as well.

On 20/10/2019 at 11:35, Spotlc said:

Mike

Nice photo :)

• Thanks 1