Jerky running Heljan 43xx esu v4L

The Ghost of IKB

I have a Heljan o gauge 43xx fitted with dc kits esu v4L sound decoder. Trouble is it runs very badly, jerking and lurking at any speed, seemingly randomly and the motor hums loudly.  Sound is good and isnt cutting out, and the track is brand new and clean. I dont think its the loco, ive tried 2 and they both run the same.  I tried the cv54 auto tune and if anything it was worse afterwards. Running it on an NCE powercab.

Can anyone help?

All help and advice gladly received.

Edited by The Ghost of IKB

After you have done the auto tune, reset CV53=140.

Do the auto tune again then do the CV53 reset.

I have known of a couple of the Heljan 43xx's with poor running problems and were exchanged, the loco that is.

Wiggy.

Hi wiggy.  Ive done exactly that, and it hasnt helped. I thought it was the loco initially, and this one is the replacement.  

Unfortunately i dont have a dc controller to see how it runs on dc. Presunably this would be the only way to see if it was the loco rather than the decoder values?

Does anyone know if it might run better with back emf turned off, and how to keep sound synched once emf is disabled?

Im clutching at straws now!

Does it do it in both directions?

Had one where the motor clamp was to tight causing an issue with no messing on the gears.

Turn the BEMF off and see how it runs but thats not going to cure the problem.

Who did you get the loco off?

If there was an issue with the decoder settings then there would be more complaints and the only issue I'm aware of is loco issues on a couple.

Wiggy. 

I don't know if this is a stupid idea but could you take the motor out or de-mesh then try pushing it , to ensure everything is free running including the motor .  If okay connect a battery 1.5  volts make sure motor runs okay.  If it's new and never run could be something a bit tight, not installed correctly.  Do they test them before they leave the factory?

6 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Yes its erratic in both directions,  tried it with no emf, was quieter but sound was completely out of sync. Sound starting several seconds before wheels moved.

Bought from rails, who have already exchanged it once.  

Certainly put me off buying another Heljan steam loco.

That was just to try the running.

It will put all the chuffs out of sync.

Try it with the functions all off.

My guess is the loco.

Give it a good run in.

If you haven't got an oval then stick it on a rolling road for a couple of hours.

If still the same I'd contact Rails and see if they will exchange or refund.

Wiggy.

Hi, I've got one of these and it's caused in my case by the central wheels locking up. It must be due to the drive cog or worm. Try this:- gently/slowly drive the wheels round untill they jam or slow down. The stop the loco - slide the central axel to one side and see if it frees up. If it does then you have exactly the same problem as I have. It should not be too difficult to trace the mechanical fault from there. I will add that I do not recommend using the motor or DCC to drive the loco if it's locking up. This is because you will burn the DCC Chip out very quickly as I have done in the past. This is because when a mother stalls then the current shoots up to about 10 times the normal working current, this burning the DCC Chip or even the motor out.  Watts are Voltage X Current or

Watts = Volts x Current

Watts are the total power or in this case heat! Heat is the worst thing you want. I hope this helps. Cheers Neil