LNWR18901910

While looking at various models of the LNWR George the Fifth Class after having seen the replica, I stumbled open something rare and what could be the grandpappy of 2mm model trains or N Scale - yes, I am talking about this...Bing's N Scale LNWR George the Fifth floor train.

image.png.e66d4ec407aa0b07b4cf9ec4c4e0259c.png

Yes - this was one of the earlier scales next to O Gauge. Move over, Lone Star, you've just got Bing'd!

image.png.6a62fb935c0bb7cbe199448481a50aa2.pngimage.png.5050a158b8da43fadc741da032699b71.pngimage.png.0576ea58b7c1e30ffd38a1f939d64339.png

This is something I would honestly have in my collection of Pre-Grouping Steam. This is possibly during the Edwardian era and also the same year the class designer George Whale died, not to mention released years before the Great War of 1914 - 1918 (more commonly known as the First World War or WWI). Yes, this set is very rare and hard to find, but wouldn't it be nice to make like some sort of replica of this or more modern push-along OOO Scale floor trains like this? It would be great to add to your fleet of early small scale trains.

If I wanted to make a replica of this model and base it on the New-Build George the Fifth Class No. 2013 Prince George in hopes of promoting the new-build that I am supporting as well as the LMS Patriot Project, then yes, I would be up to it as I'm not afraid of trying something new. Because hey, I'm always up for a challenge. I don't just look at all my models and say, "That's it, I'm satisfied and I'm finished"; I just want to go onto the next thing and I definitely will until I get tired (which is ever likely to happen even if someone tells me to). I know it's a plateful, but I'm really enjoying the challenge even though I hit some unexpected faults or sudden mishaps I don't plan or never intended but just happen all the same. I don't ever let that stop me as a modeller.

If something like this was recreated in 3D Printing and given a simple paint-job and metal couplings like the originals would've once had, that would be something. Making the chassis would be another challenge but still worthwhile. When you make a non-working or static model, it's like a work of art and something you can actually display in diorama scenes mainly for photographic recreation purposes.I like this model such I wish it was easy to find or recreate whichever is easy or less money-tight.

For now, I'll leave you all with a question; what early models do you think would pioneer certain scales?

• RMweb Premium

The Model Railway Club has this set of engine, tender & coaches, although not in a box, and they are quite well known. I believe that Richard (?) Bryant (Mike Bryant’s brother) used a full brake body on the Inversnecky & Drambuie railway, one of the original 2mm scale layouts. 

Tim

3 hours ago, CF MRC said:

The Model Railway Club has this set of engine, tender & coaches, although not in a box, and they are quite well known. I believe that Richard (?) Bryant (Mike Bryant’s brother) used a full brake body on the Inversnecky & Drambuie railway, one of the original 2mm scale layouts. 

Tim

Does it really? Where can I find this rarity? I would love to recreate this set in honour and tribute to the LNWR George the Fifth Project.

Edited by LNWR18901910