This sub-forum is for the 2019 series and any individual entry topics. Content from the 2018 series can be found in the Challenges Archive.

GMRC Series 2 - Episode 8 - The Final - 'Surprise Surprise' - 5.40pm

• Moderators

Saturday 26 October

5:40pm - 6:55pm Channel 5

SUMMARY

In an extended edition, four finalists have three days to create miniature railway layouts that must amaze, confound and delight, before the winner is announced. Judges Steve Flint and Kathy Millat cast an expert eye over designs that include an homage to Hamburg's Miniatur Wunderland, an eco research centre, and an Austin Powers-themed layout. Last in the series.

The Teams

Team Grantham - Richie Mason, Graham Nicholas, Andrew Burchell, Paul Bolton, Tom Dewdney

Rail Riders - Les Cliff, Melanie Lewis, Stefan Neillson, Jenny Kirk, Brian Long and Simon AC Martin.

Railmen of Kent – Fred Garner, Nick Garner, Nik Wilson, Chris Busbridge, James Garner, John Garner

Who's Counting Rivets Anyway? - Charlie Johnson, Alex Bingley, Gwion Rhy Davies, Richard Ballan, Steven Dodd, Richard De La Camp

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Saturday 26 October

SUMMARY

In an extended edition...

The earlier start time (again) is to be noted.

If I'm reading this right though, the reduction in broadcast time to 65 minutes last night allows the return to 75 minutes for the Final to be called "extended" when it's actually the same as was used for the earlier episodes?

Rather like some "supermarket 'special' offers" ?

More importantly, if the standard we've seen so far this Series is maintained (or stretched even further) it could be quite incredible: "Go teams!"

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke

• RMweb Gold

As a point of info, my Sky box was set to series link for all previous episodes and coped well with the moves around the schedule.  For this episode, the series link didn't work and I had to hunt for the episode and insert it manually.  No big deal if you know it's (not) happening but could be problem next Sat if you're expecting it to auto-record!

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Saturday 26 October

SUMMARY

In an extended edition, four finalists have three days to create miniature railway layouts that must amaze, confound and delight, before the winner is announced. Judges Steve Flint and Kathy Millat cast an expert eye over designs that include an homage to Hamburg's Miniatur Wunderland, an eco research centre, and an Austin Powers-themed layout. Last in the series.

Hmm... Four teams yet only three layouts mentioned. I don't think ours fits any of the descriptions mentioned so, for complete mess sake, the fourth layout was based around a traditional funfair.

We also had an enforced team member change, Pete Jarvis replacing Tom Dewdney.

Guess who hasn't got ready access to a tele on Saturday?(!)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Don't know if anyone else has noticed a problem with the Freeview listings for Channel 5 on Saturday, but they ain't there and my PVRs can't latch onto a recording time....

I'll have to see if the particular machines I've got allow a manual time to be set if the listing for Saturday doesn't show up soon!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Hroth said:

Don't know if anyone else has noticed a problem with the Freeview listings for Channel 5 on Saturday, but they ain't there and my PVRs can't latch onto a recording time....

Might be worth checking again today - I had the same problem but mine appeared last night (although I noticed that Channel 4's still hadn't). The good news: when they did appear the 'Record Series' light was already on, ready and waiting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Slightly off topic, but relevant I think in view of the constant time/day changes do we know the viewing figures for this series?

Someone has been posting them on the individual episode threads. It started well on the Friday evenings (over a million) but did drop after the move to Saturdays (800,000?)

On 20 October 2019 at 19:58, LNER4479 said:

We also had an enforced team member change, Pete Jarvis replacing Tom Dewdney.

Guess who hasn't got ready access to a tele on Saturday?(!)

Never mind Graham, at least you know the result!

Can I also thank Pete for stepping in when I was unavailable.

Tom

On 23/10/2019 at 22:44, Hroth said:

I'll have to see if the particular machines I've got allow a manual time to be set if the listing for Saturday doesn't show up soon!

yep my one misses the last 15 mins or so. sometimes it the poxy breaks in the Middle of Films where the might have 'Movie' news..

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, JohnR said:

Viewing Figs.JPG

Hmmm it dont mention Ketchup.  Wonder how many missed the fact that it went from Friday straight to next day Saturday, rather than a week on Saturday. That probably accounts for the huge dip in figures... although it says tv 256.000 total  658.000 so maybe a lot on Ketchup

Edited by Mattc6911

On 24/10/2019 at 08:30, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Might be worth checking again today - I had the same problem but mine appeared last night (although I noticed that Channel 4's still hadn't). The good news: when they did appear the 'Record Series' light was already on, ready and waiting.

Saturdays listing popped up yesterday and when I checked, the programme had been re-acquired for recording.

I've both boxes set as backups for each other, just in case...

Anyhow, looking forward to the final, may the best team win!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

Just how reliable are viewing figures anyway; catchup they can log I presume but  normal transmissions its apparently a random selection of viewers who log what they have watched. I hardly ever watch anything live and play back off one of a number of PVRs (2 Freeview, a Freesat one and a BT box - admitably one of the Freeview ones is rarely used and the other gets heavily used for ITV,C4,C5 etc as it usefully has a quick skip for commercials)

Edited by Butler Henderson

We were invited to attend the final of the GMRC as guests. We were in awe of the hard work and talent that went in to completing all three layout boards by each of the teams. Never mind the fact that we know what the outcome was ..... we are still really excited to see this final and to see how the huge amount of film has been edited together to make the finished programme. 

Lovely to have time to look round Fawley Hill at leisure too. 

6C0A286B-D8CE-43E0-AF92-860B08500DE1.jpeg

• Like 13

Great final, well done teams!

Railmen - Congratulations, worthy victors 

HCR - I have to say, I thought your layouts looked the best! 

Team Grantham - I wish you had managed to finish the layout, it had great potential

Rail Riders - Some great little cameos and big builds, just a shame it didn't work as a whole layout so well. 

• Agree 1

Just now, meatloaf said:

How long ago was the final filmed? 

Wonder if that was a pre-release western Pullman and the 24/1 isn't out yet

Yeah the class 24 was the prototype that we asked to be fitted with DCC so we could run it and then we went and ran it through fire. 

Plus you might have noticed Bachmanns Crane too. 

IMG_20190723_062038.jpg

IMG_20190722_061633.jpg

IMG_20190707_193349.jpg

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, noiseboy72 said:

Great final, well done teams!

Railmen - Congratulations, worthy victors 

HCR - I have to say, I thought your layouts looked the best! 

Team Grantham - I wish you had managed to finish the layout, it had great potential

Rail Riders - Some great little cameos and big builds, just a shame it didn't work as a whole layout so well. 

We had so much fun building our final layout just wish more was shown of it. We poured so much into that layout that wasn't shown on TV. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1