Mystery coach body

AberdeenBill

Hi all,

Would anyone know the identity of the coach/carriage body in the photo below?  It's located pretty much in the middle of nowhere at Forvie Nature Reserve in Aberdeenshire, approx. map reference NK011269.  Apologies if there's some on-line resource that tells all that I don't know about...

Thanks,

Bill

DSC_2381.JPG

57 minutes ago, Dava said:

Inverurie Works [GNoSR] dismantled old coaches and many bodies were sold locally, it's probably one of those.  

Dava

An apocryphal tale told in The Railway Spirit by R.L. Smith tells of a body that was at Boat Of Garten being sold to a farmer (I haven't been able to work out when, where or what body) in the depths of winter. The railwaymen had to wait till the local bobby had gone out of the village for the night or so to cart it on ice with a tractor using telephone poles as fulcrums to turn it on/ off roads. Makes you wonder what other shenanigans went on.  

• Like 1

When searching for such bodies back in the eighties we heard many such tales of shenanigans : each body - or half body in later years would be delivered on a horse-cart in early years, steam lorry, and eventually motor lorry with trailer by a gentleman called Reid, I think. Unloading involved jacking the body up on barrels and driving the vehicle out : never did establish how it was lowered off the barrels but it can't have been purely by gravity as must of the glass was intact many decades later. We found bodies significantly earlier than this one and of all periods up to early B.R. built 'Portholes' .......... disposal to farmers ( etc.) was very much a policy at Inverurie.