Mark 1 Carriage Number Sizes And FK Allocations

les101975jud

I have a number of Mark 1 carriages to number and I need to know what size the alphanumeric designation should be.  In early BR days were they 3 inch and was the colour of them yellow?  I have consulted Keith Parkin’s books but cannot find this detail.

Also, in “Parkin”  it has the initial allocations by region but it seems no FKs were allocated to the Southern Region.  I know this list is not meant to be exhaustive but it seems unusual the SR had none from the start.  Can anyone throw any light on this please?

Les

You can always have them numbered for through trains as these would have had stock from outside your area.

It's your model railway so you can have whatever you want running no matter how prototypical it is.

16 hours ago, les101975jud said:

I have a number of Mark 1 carriages to number and I need to know what size the alphanumeric designation should be.  In early BR days were they 3 inch and was the colour of them yellow?  I have consulted Keith Parkin’s books but cannot find this detail.

Also, in “Parkin”  it has the initial allocations by region but it seems no FKs were allocated to the Southern Region.  I know this list is not meant to be exhaustive but it seems unusual the SR had none from the start.  Can anyone throw any light on this please?

Les

Hi Les,

Page 65 of the "Parkin" book shows a diagram of carriage lettering in which it states that the Number / Regional Character were 4" high. It also lists that such lettering for Crimson / Cream was done in old gold / golden yellow with thin black line and that this was gradually replaced by yellow when given green SR livery.

Maybe a little late for you but by 1980 there were two FKs in Southern ownership - S13007 & S13086.

Edited by SP Steve
Garbled text

18 hours ago, les101975jud said:

Les

The Southern wasn't a great user of full Firsts other than for Boat Trains where Open stock ( The 'nondescript' saloons and Pullmans ) where often used. the Corridor Firsts to Bulleid's design were still quite new when the MK 1 vehicles emerged so one coach - probably for the all Mk 1 'Royal Wessex' - sufficed.

• RMweb Gold

I can recommend Cambridge Custom Transfers for this job; a good variety of full set 5-digit numbers and regional prefixes/suffixes suitable for RTR stock and of course you can make up numbers by 'cut'n'shutting' the transfers.  The colour is perfect for pre-1966 BR use and IIRC the sheets include 1st class door numerals, and window sausages and no smoking triangles.  No connection satisfied customer.

Edited by The Johnster

Hi Les

If you look on the semgonline.com, in the member files their are pdf files one of which lists all the coaches allocated to the Southern region. But has been stated previously most Mark 1 FK's were for conversion to electric vehicles, When BR(S) started using FK's they were Mark 2 vehicles. 

http://www.semgonline.com/proto/BRSCarriages1%20i5p1.pdf?LMCL=CvD0Nf

Southern Region Allocated BR Standard Coaching Stock. Vol. 1 - Passenger Carrying Vehicles. Compiled by Mark Brinton

• RMweb Gold

The first batch of mk2 coaches were FKs, and IIRC were allocated to the Southern (in malachite green), Western, and Eastern (both in lined maroon livery) Regions.  They were distinguished also by the window ventilators, which were the 4 panel type as found on mk1 stock.  SOs and further FKs built for the LMR were the next batch, and came out in the then new blue/grey livery, and had the 3 panel type of sliding ventilators.  All had B4 bogies, steam heating, and vacuum brakes, but I believe the LMR coaches were dual steam/electric heated for use on the new Euston-Liverpool/Manchester 25kv trains.