Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Classic layouts still on display

MarkSG

Prompted by a comment in the resurrected "Which layouts have really inspired you?" topic about Millhouse Lane (featurning buildings by Allan Downes) now being a resident layout at the Great Central Railway Nottingham, and also a passing reference in Wikipedia to Dave Rowe's Llareggub now being "curated by the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway", whatever that means, I was wondering, how many classic and inspirational layouts of the past now found a permanent home where they are on regular display to the public? Which other ones are there that are still viewable somewhere?

(And, does anyone know what the W&L actually do with Llareggub? Is it actually on display somewhere permanently, or do they keep it behind the scenes and only bring it out on special occasions? I'd love to have another look at it sometime).

• Like 1

Doesn't help with the first post questions, 

but Chiltern Green is still going strong at the Devon railway centre at Buckley mill near Tiverton long after I first saw it at Bristol Model Railway show back in the eightys, it's a bit dark inside the carriage it's in but that helps the scenery not fade when I saw it I was reminded how good it was and I haven't see many layouts as good in thirty odd years

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

For the first question, the only layout I know of is John Ahern's Madder Valley, built in the 1930s and on permanent display at Pendon. I hope there are more out there!

- Richard.

13 hours ago, 47137 said:

For the first question, the only layout I know of is John Ahern's Madder Valley, built in the 1930s and on permanent display at Pendon. I hope there are more out there!

Yes, Madder Valley was one that occurred to me when I read the original comment that inspired this topic. I have seen that one, along with the Leighton Buzzard section of Beter Denny's Buckingham which has appeared at a few shows (although I understand that, despite being a reasonably self-contained element of the whole and thus suitable for standalone viewing, it's something of a nightmare to operate so it's unlikely to get out very often in the future, if at all). I was just wondering how many more there are out there, possbly in places where you might not expect.

Some may not think it old enough to be classic (though it is very classic to me) but, while Lydham Heath is no longer on permanent display in Bishops Castle, it does still get to shows. The next appearence date is in its thread in the S scale section.

Edited by johnarcher
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, MarkSG said:

Yes, Madder Valley was one that occurred to me when I read the original comment that inspired this topic. I have seen that one, along with the Leighton Buzzard section of Beter Denny's Buckingham which has appeared at a few shows (although I understand that, despite being a reasonably self-contained element of the whole and thus suitable for standalone viewing, it's something of a nightmare to operate so it's unlikely to get out very often in the future, if at all). I was just wondering how many more there are out there, possbly in places where you might not expect.

I actually wouldn't mind viewing Leighton Buzzard as a static exhibit, given its significance. I was fortunate enough to see it at a show and I found it quite inspiring to see what Peter Denny was able to produce in an era when there was nothing like the trade support we have today.

According to its website RWG Bryant's 'Inversneckie & Drambuie Rly' is on display in the warehouse at the Railway Museum in York.   

Does not the HMRS have a layout and a number of historic models on display?   I had a look on their website but came away none the wiser.

Borchester whilst in the the ownership of Newhaven MRC was exhibited on occasion but there appears to have been no word about it since sold to a gentleman in Lancashire.

With regard to the remains of the Craig and Mertonford these have only once been on public display and any future public displays will be few and far between primarily due to the inevitable wear and tear / damage that occurs every time the layout is moved and ancient mechanisms are run.   I seem to recall Newhaven MRC commenting on this and I think I may be correct in saying outings of Leighton Buzzard are restricted for similar reasons.   Much better for the layout if it can stay put in one place and for devotees to visit it though of course this may cause considerable inconvenience or be downright impossible for the devotee.   Dundreich, the largest remaining part of Craigshire, Craig Castle and other artefacts from Craigshire are housed for safekeeping with me at home in East Lothian rather than in the Edinburgh & Lothians MRC clubroom which for a number of reasons is not suitable.  Anyone wishing to view these artefacts can do so on application to the club or directly to myself though as you will appreciate being situated in a private home means access can only be at times suitable to my family and myself.   That said I will always do my best to accommodate C&MR/PDH pilgrims if I at all can.  

An observation.   Until such time as a suitable, properly funded museum for model railways is established then the future of many historic layouts is going to be at the whim of the individuals or groups who acquire and own them or maybe that should be for as long as the owners stay upright and breathing and have the enthusiasm and cash to support the layout!   As the custodian of the P D Hancock Collection what will happen to it in the future when I or the Edinburgh & Lothians MRC are not around is a constant worry and always under review.    The number of organisations and people prepared to take on historic layouts are few and far between, many might like to but reality soon kicks in!

Malcolm   

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Maybe not as 'classic' as others, but Reg Dear's 2mmFS model of Ventnor is now in a glass case in the museum at Haven Street, and a model of Winchester (Chesil) station is in Milestones museum, Basingstoke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Conwy Valley Railway Museum in Betws-y-Coed had some of Jack Nelson's LNWR dioramas on display.  Not sure whether they still have them, as they were looking a bit dusty and neglected the last time I saw them about 3 years ago.

Edit to add: Just seen in latest HMRS Journal that the LNWR society has restored them recently.

Edited by eastglosmog
Note on restoration
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/10/2019 at 19:46, Adrian Stevenson said:

Llareggub gets out and about and was on show at GCR Model Railway show this summer. It was one of the highlights of the show for me.

Cheers, Ade.

It's out and about fairly regularly, I've seen it at one or two exhibitions where the W&L have a presence- IIRC didn't they acquire it after it was pretty much rescued from imminent demise in a skip?

• Informative/Useful 1

Possibly not regarded as a classic layout - because they aren't so well known - but Jack Nelsons LNWR dioramas are on permanent display in the Conwy Valley Railway Museum at Betws-Y-Coed. 

Also on display is Millthorpe Junction based on the Lancashire & Yorkshire Calder Valley line and, in particular, Sowerby Bridge.

http://www.conwyrailwaymuseum.co.uk/museum-photos.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Both Under Milk Wood & Thomas Slate Quarry by Dave Rowe will be at the

East Midlands 009 NG Modellers Group

Open Day

Saturday 23rd July 2022 – 10:30am to 4:30pm

Portland College, Nottingham Rd, Harlow Wood, Mansfield, NG18 4TJ

£5.00 cash on the door (sorry we do not have facilities for card payments or pre-booking)

Plenty of free parking on site.

Portland College Café open all day serving 200 Degrees Coffee.

along with over twenty other exhibits.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, andrew575 said:

Both Under Milk Wood & Thomas Slate Quarry by Dave Rowe will be at the

East Midlands 009 NG Modellers Group

Open Day

Saturday 23rd July 2022 – 10:30am to 4:30pm

Portland College, Nottingham Rd, Harlow Wood, Mansfield, NG18 4TJ

£5.00 cash on the door (sorry we do not have facilities for card payments or pre-booking)

Plenty of free parking on site.

Portland College Café open all day serving 200 Degrees Coffee.

along with over twenty other exhibits.

As a club of which I'm a member of, has recently made payments available by card, we are now finding that more than 50% of payments are done electronically. The membership was hostile about it for a long time, but now realise it is inevitable.

The fact that we are located nowhere near an ATM (we are a miniature railway), meant that we had to send people off to the ATM - we know many didn't come back! The loss of those, more than offset our expense of any transaction fees. We pay a fixed percentage, so no need for a minimum transaction, or a surcharge - it's just not worth it.

Probably too late to do anything about it this year, but I would recommend that you do some research into a suitable system for future use. Our treasurer is finding that his right arm, is slowly returning to normal length and the security risk is reducing as half the money is straight into the account.

Pre-booking - I wouldn't bother.

Good luck with your open day, but I won't be attending, as it's a bit of a hike!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Derby Museum's O-Gauge "Kirtley Junction" is currently on display while undergoing renovation at the Museum of Making. It operates at 11am and 2pm. Admission free.

Kirtley-02.jpg.1081dc470ab93a4d0fb34b303c5e2dbd.jpg

DSC00581.jpg.bc08eb6c2c64fc06ed5f585c2ed1727e.jpg

Kirtley-03.jpg

Does this date back to the 1970s? In which case I saw it back then.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MarkC said:

Does this date back to the 1970s? In which case I saw it back then.

I believe is was created in 1953 to mark the Coronation, so it's very likely the one you saw. I remember it was on the cover of Railway Modeller some time in the 70s.

<Edit> Not 1953 but 1951 as it says here https://midlandrailwaystudycentre.org.uk/model/index.htm

The idea for the model railway was born around the time Britain's railways were being Nationalised after the Second World War. The then Derby Borough Museum decided it wanted preserve the memory of the old industries of Derby and in particular, the Midland Railway, with which the town of Derby had a long connection. On the 26th May 1951 the original 7mm scale “Kirtley” model railway was unveiled to the public.

The depth of research undertaken to create the model was enormous. Staff from the Museum had visited the Derby Locomotive Works Drawing Office and obtained copies of the General Arrangement drawings of the major Midland Railway locomotive classes. From those copies (which are still held in the Midland Railway Study Centre), incredibly skilful modellers scratch-built many of the locomotives seen on the layout today. Credit for the design of the original “Midland Railway Exhibit” is given in the contemporary guide which accompanied it to Messrs. P.A. Larkam (whose research collection is also now in the Midland Railway Study Centre) and W.G.Allen.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3