Heljan turntable

55F

I have searched the Forum and am unable to find any previous answers to my problem.  'Apologies if the topic has already been 'done to death'!

I have recently re-installed the turntable having had it stored safely in the box.  However at first it didn't appear to follow the 'calibration sequence so I decided on a re-set only to find that the control box is not responding!

I have tried switching it on and off etc.....no joy.  I have checked that everything is clean and the turntable is level...…...and run out of ideas!

Has anyone had similar experiences?  Can anyone help?  The thing works superbly when in working mode but is extremely frustrating when playing awkward!!

Any help will be appreciated.

Hi 55F,

Sorry I do not have any words of comfort for you. I had a Heljan turntable for a short while till it stopped playing. Never could find the fault. So I ended up dumping it and bought the Fleischmann turntable and never looked back.

This one to be exact.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/26550/6152C-Fleischmann-Turntable

Edited by cypherman
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Hi 55F,

Sorry I do not have any words of comfort for you. I had a Heljan turntable for a short while till it stopped playing. Never could find the fault. So I ended up dumping it and bought the Fleischmann turntable and never looked back.

This one to be exact.

Afraid I had exactly the same experience. The Heljan kept losing/forgetting its calibration settings.....I eventually gave up and bought a Fleischmann

Regards

John

Heljan turntables do have a reputation for the control units conking, but you don't have to do away with it if you can cope without the self parking facility. If you use DC wire a transformer to it and park it by eye (like the real thing), or if you use DCC wire a decoder into it. Either way you get to control the speed down to a crawl to help with the lining up. On DCC you could alter the wiring as well if you wish to do away with the polarity changeover and put a polarity reverser in it to stop sound locos temporarily cutting out. I did with both my Heljan turntables.

Thank-you for the replies and particularly the optimistic reply from Daltonparva !!!  Hoping not to be too cheeky but would you be able to provide any guidance on the wiring  for your method please?  Having explored inside the mechanism, I cannot fathom the function of the wires.  [The minimum amount of hardware does make me question how they arrive at the price of these machines!!!]

It is also my intention to speak to Michael at Howes of Oxford tomorrow ...…..describe as a bit of an expert on the subject!

• 3 months later...

Did you get anywhere in terms of finding a solution? I have one which repeatedly shows a connectivity error but without knowing which wires do what and to which ring on the base of the bridge they connect to it's difficult to diagnose the issue.

• RMweb Premium

I've absolutely no idea about these turntables, but if scrapping is the alternative (in whole or in part) then if a pcb is concerned I'd be inclined to re-flow all solder joints on the circuit board, being very careful not to overheat any chips/transistors/diodes.  Of course it may be nothing like this at all (I've never seen one) but if you've nothing to lose....

• 2 months later...
On 21/10/2019 at 17:34, cypherman said:

Hi 55F,

This one to be exact.

I am having similar Heljan problems but I understand the Fleischmann one is quite a bit larger 'above' the baseboard' Can you advise the above and below diameters needed please.

Hi Senalizacion, If you are thinking of getting one of the Fleischmann turntables I hope you have deep pockets. The cheapest one I have found is still over £300.00

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/9152c-fleischmann-turntable-with-individual-electrically-switchable-track-exits-2259-p.asp

here is a video about installing one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yehH9it7ffg

These are Flieschmanns dimensions for the turntable.

Required installation opening: 340 mm.
Installation depth measured from table top edge: 30 mm.
External diameter of the turntable with track connections: 465 mm.
Turntable bridge length: 310 mm.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/10/2019 at 17:54, john dew said:

Afraid I had exactly the same experience. The Heljan kept losing/forgetting its calibration settings.....I eventually gave up and bought a Fleischmann

Regards

John

£435. Ouch!

Must get my old one out and see if it still works. And how the control system could be updated to the current day standards.

Hi all again.

I believe that Flieschmann are still producing the addons. Just not the engines and rollingstock. But I will look further into this.

OK just checked it out. They are still doing some HO accessories and track plus spares.

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

£435. Ouch!

Must get my old one out and see if it still works. And how the control system could be updated to the current day standards.

I dont think they have changed much......I have one that I bought second hand  over 20 years ago......it is pretty much the same as the one I bought brand new to replace the Heljan. ( from Hong Kong for $450 cdn) three years ago

The DC Control unit is identical for both as is the indexing. The most obvious difference is noise level....the old one grunts and wheezes its way round

To use with DCC  and RR&Co I use the expensive but excellent Fleischmann Turncontrol  units .....setting up and operation is identical

Regards

John

• Informative/Useful 2

Just noticed that this thread had been resurrected!  For info I contacted  Michael at Howes of  Oxford.  He gave me the Heljan point of contact.  

I returned my turntable and within two weeks I received what to all intents and purposes was a new turntable.  Works delightfully and no further problems.

55f

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1